Should I hand wind my 2824-2 Automatic?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Should I hand wind my 2824-2 Automatic?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Should I hand wind my 2824-2 Automatic?

I just happened to be cruising the net, reading about the 2824-2 automatic movement in my new Stowa Flieger..I came upon some information that said that handwinding this movement on a regular basis can damage it? I had been winding it every morning, about 10 revolutions of the crown, not really thinking twice about it...Is this a bad thing? Does it ever need to be wound if I wear it every day? How often/much should I wind it?

As you can tell, I'm new to automatic/mechanical watches, LOL...Thanks for any advice.

Steve
    DutchMongolian likes this.

Re: Should I hand wind my 2824-2 Automatic?

No, it doesn't ever need to be wound through the crown if you wear it every day.

Honestly, I've heard some bad things about ETA 2824 but I wouldn't worry about it unless you do it every day. If you do, the gears might be worn out after a year or two and need to be replaced.

I don't really feel the need to handwind, couple of reasons. Why would you want the watch to run and to accumulate wear when you are not wearing it? And when you put on the watch, shaking the watch 4-5 times and that is actually enough charge for the watch to run for 6 hours or so. Plus, if you screw and unscrew the watch to wind it, you are wearing the threads on the crown tube out more than anything.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (ST 145.022)
    Omega Speedmaster Automatic (ST 176.0016) Cal. 1045 (Lemania 5100)
    Hamilton Field Mechanical
    Marathon SAR (2006)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

@ bin31z:

Honestly, I've heard some bad things about ETA 2824 but I wouldn't worry about it unless you do it every day. If you do, the gears might be worn out after a year or two and need to be replaced.

Hi,

you really don't know anything about watches, do you?!

Volker

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies...I'm going to just go without winding for a while and see how the watch plays - As I do wear most every day, although it doesn't get much wrist time on the weekends. Thanks again for all the replies.

Steve

I meant...bad things about handwinding the ETA 2824. And I'm talking about winding gear, I heard it was made from a softer metal?? I don't you negative comment, this is all stuff I've heard on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by brainless View Post
    @ bin31z:

Hi,

you really don't know anything about watches, do you?!

Volker
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (ST 145.022)
    Omega Speedmaster Automatic (ST 176.0016) Cal. 1045 (Lemania 5100)
    Hamilton Field Mechanical
    Marathon SAR (2006)

Just thought I'd post an update.. Doesn't seem that there is any reason to handwind as my watch has been operating as advertised with just normal wear.

Steve

I have read that occasionally it is good to give a few turns to an auto movement not for winding purposes but to distribut lubrication? I think it was on tz faq??

heb

Hello,
    I too have heard that daily handwinding is bad. I think its because when hand winding, we tend to force an "overwind" condition, causing the end of the main spring to abrade the inside of its containment barrel. When on the wrist, the torque of the rotor is not great enough to do that abrasion; takes it to the fully wound condtion only.

If you don't wear your watch at night it will unwind a bit and 10 winds, while not necessary, probably won't hurt it either (takes about 40 wind to really force the overwind condition).

The real bottom line is: why do you do the 10 winds? It might have been necessary with watches 70+ years ago.

heb

Here's another update; I didn't wear the watch that much yesterday, and this morning it was about an hour behind, so it did indeed stop at some point...So, it definitely needs to be worn for the better part of the day to keep working continuously. I'll abstain from any handwinding just to be safe.

Steve

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information