Significant orientational accuracy variance
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Thundercleese
  • 1 Post By RightYouAreKen

Thread: Significant orientational accuracy variance

Significant orientational accuracy variance

Hello all,

I purchased my gorgeous Marine Original about a month ago now, and have been tracking it's accuracy using the Watch Tracker iphone app. This is an app where you record what time the watch reads at each "datapoint" and the app calculates now much time it has gained or lost over time, charting the results for as long as you want to run a dataset.

For the first 3 weeks of ownership the watch was running a pretty steady +15s/day. The rate it would gain throughout the day and night was fairly consistent. Over the last week I have noticed a change, and the watch now seems to be significantly affected by it's orientation where it didn't seem to have been before.

When resting dial up over night, for example, it will gain about .4s/hour, or a rate of about +10s/day. However, when wearing it during normal desk warrior duties, it's gaining about +1-1.5s/hour or about +20-30s/day. During an average 10 hour work day it will gain about 10 seconds or maybe a little more which is a rate of +24-30s/day.

I also recently did some additional orientational testing and found that resting the watch with the crown facing up makes the watch track almost dead on accurate all night, or less than +1s/day. Resting it crown down, the watch runs at a rate of +20s/day.

This is different than I experience with my other automatic watches (a 2428-2 and a 2894-a2) which have only very small variance between their rate when resting in different positions and being worn. I understand the Unitas movement is a totally different animal that I am just gaining experience with.

Here's a sample timing run over 2 days. Overnight, the watch was rested crown up. During the day, I was doing normal office work and relaxing at home in the evening. The first picture shows the amount that the watch is head of actual time at each data point.

This second picture shows each datapoint and the amount the watch was ahead of actual time at each point.

So I want to bounce this off the collective community here. Are these types of accuracy variations normal, or might there be something wrong with my watch? I'd like to avoid having to send it back to Stowa due to a hypersensitive owner, but if there is something wrong I'd like to get it corrected as well.
    Last edited by RightYouAreKen; May 27th, 2016 at 21:23.

Re: Significant orientational accuracy variance

I'm having the same issue. I too bought a new Stowa Marine with the manual wind movement from their sale this past month. I thought it was pretty accurate at first, which it was, but the last week or so it's been all over the map. It can gain 5 seconds in a 12 hour period or 2 minutes in 5 hours. Today now it has gained 40 seconds in 9 hours. I would like to see it have some consistency so I can figure out if it just needs regulating or fixing.

Weird. Mine have always been consistent with little to no variance of an extended period of time.

Hopefully Jorg will chime in with a response.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

After monitoring and documenting this watch for the past few days, I see now exactly what it's doing. A full wind in the morning, and it's off to the races. It gains 12 seconds in the first hour alone and after 7 hours, it has gained a minimum of 45 seconds. The next 7 hours it has gained a more modest 8 seconds. The last 10 hours shows a gain of a superb 1 second. I can only conclude that the watch does not perform equally over it's wind cycle. Full wind, terrible. Half wind and less, great.

Larry

It is very interesting to read about these analytic methods to measure accuracy....................of a watch that is bought for its beauty either in the face and in the back - as far as is referring to my person.
    It is interesting but not necessary. When I need a definitely accurate watch I use a cheap quartz driven watch,

Volker

IMO a watch without reasonable accuracy is like an automobile with a motor. It fails at performing the basic purpose for which it was designed.
    Mirabello1 likes this.

Sponsor / Moderator

Hello everybody,

i will check the analyse infos and come back with a answer soon ,)

bye for now

jörg schauer

Quote Originally Posted by larryinlc View Post
    After monitoring and documenting this watch for the past few days, I see now exactly what it's doing. A full wind in the morning, and it's off to the races. It gains 12 seconds in the first hour alone and after 7 hours, it has gained a minimum of 45 seconds. The next 7 hours it has gained a more modest 8 seconds. The last 10 hours shows a gain of a superb 1 second. I can only conclude that the watch does not perform equally over it's wind cycle. Full wind, terrible. Half wind and less, great.

Larry
    That's interesting. I thought that's what mine was doing but if I wind it daily and leave it in my watch box it gains at a steady 10-12 seconds per day rate. So in my case it seems more movement or orientation related as opposed to the wind state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Schauer View Post
    Hello everybody,

i will check the analyse infos and come back with a answer soon ,)

bye for now

jörg schauer
    Hi jörg,

Do you happen to have any updated thoughts or opinions on this? My watch has been running consistently over the past 3 weeks since I posted this. It gains about 18-20 seconds when worn during the day (16 hour average) and gains about 1-1.5 second overnight resting crown up (8 hours) giving an overall average of about 19-21 seconds gained per day. I find this acceptable (though not ideal) for my use, but want to be sure there isn't a concern about a mechanical fault. Since it seems consistent, a mechanical fault seems unlikely. It's just running perhaps a bit faster than spec.

Thanks!
    sefrcoko likes this.

My hand wind SW-215 is most accurate between ~20% and ~75% of fully wound (by counting how many time you wind it until it reaches the point can't go any further). When it's fully wound up (close to 100%), it runs significantly faster and when it's winding down (<5%) it runs very slow. Between about 20% and 75% it runs almost dead on on the wrist or sitting down regardless of the position. So I normally just wind it to about 30 hours of power reserve.

Thread Information