So bummed...what's happened to my Marine..

Thread: So bummed...what's happened to my Marine..

So bummed...what's happened to my Marine..

So while putting on my Marine tonight, it slipped out of my hand and fell to the floor. Not much of a drop (2ft or less), and it landed on its back. Im thinking, luckily this is a somewhat thick watch. But when I picked it up, I immediately noticed the watch wasnt running. The hands just stopped dead. I tried to jiggle the watch, thinking that the movement maybe just needed a little jolt...but nothing moved. Looks like my new (purchased 3/22/06) Marine might be going home much sooner than I ever expected. Just sent an email to Stowa letting them know. O|

Have any of you ever experienced this before? I know mechanical watches are a bit more delicate, but the drop was not a large one and it was on wood floors.

Such a sad day.

Re: So bummed...what's happened to my Marine..

My understanding is that the effects of a drop depend very much on the angle ... if you are unlucky (as you are in this case), even an apparently mild jolt can dislodge something in the movement, whereas, with a different agle of impact, a watch may walk away (figuratively speaking) unscathed from falling from a much greater height.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Boy that's too bad.
    My sympathies drod.
    Hopefully Jorg can fix it quickly.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Drod, too bad about it. Hope Stowa team can help you out in getting the Marine into shape! Good luck!!

Thanks for your sympathies guys. Could only hope its nothing too major since it was a simple fall. Its just amaizing, since the case is so solidly built.

Oh well, fingers crossed. Love my watch, so I'll be missing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    My understanding is that the effects of a drop depend very much on the angle ... if you are unlucky (as you are in this case), even an apparently mild jolt can dislodge something in the movement, whereas, with a different agle of impact, a watch may walk away (figuratively speaking) unscathed from falling from a much greater height.
    Martin, its intersting that you say that. Since it slipped right off my wrist as I was trying to buckle it, I was able to see how it landed. It landed straight on its back with a minor "thud". :oops: Didn't think much of it, because this sort of thing happens. But as soon as I strapped it back on the wrist...that's when horror of the incident struck me. Luckily I have my Nomos Orion to console me. Nonetheless a real bummer of a loss.

Taking your thoughts and expanding on them, I wonder how a Stowa Seatime or Provider would do. I guess once again, it depends on the angle when it hits. I can see some of the more delicate parts in the movement getting dislodged no matter how thick the case is.

Regards,

Dave

Just freak bad luck I'd guess.
    You could probably drop it a dozen times like you did with no similar disaster.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Quote Originally Posted by drod
    Taking your thoughts and expanding on them, I wonder how a Stowa Seatime or Provider would do. I guess once again, it depends on the angle when it hits. I can see some of the more delicate parts in the movement getting dislodged no matter how thick the case is.
    Dave, that is exactly my take on it.

The only difference in my view would be rubber elements isolating the movement from the case (as in the Sinn 244 and the IWC Ingenieur, I believe), or a completely differently designed movement with greater inherent shock-resistance.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Thread Information