• 1 Post By av8ter14
  • 1 Post By P. Ortiz
  • 2 Post By triumphrox
  • 1 Post By P. Ortiz
  • 1 Post By Nokie

Thread: So, How Does It Wear?

So, How Does It Wear?

Greetings,
    I'm considering my first Stowa and would appreciate a little insight on how it wears on the wrist. I'm looking for a handwinder and I'm particularly interested in the Flieger Klassik 6498, (partially because I love that sub seconds dial). However, the 41mm case concerns me a bit. I've got a 7.5 inch wrist so it's not that, but some watches just wear bigger (or smaller) than the numbers suggest. Normally 40 mm seems to be my sweet spot. I do have some larger watches - for example I love my Speedmaster or my Aqua Terra in 41.5mm, but couldn't stand the Hamilton Khaki Auto in 42mm. I'm considering the 40mm Stowa Flieger Klassik with the ETA 2804 instead, but hoped to get some opinions from the crowd on the 6498's wrist presence before I pull the trigger.
    Thanks.

Re: So, How Does It Wear?

Here is a quick shot. My wrist is just shy of 7 inches. I love the watch and think the size is perfect. With a 7.5 inch wrist you will be fine. It looks much larger in the picture than in person. Name:  IMG_3454 2.JPG
Views: 377
Size:  1.97 MB
    govdubspeedgo likes this.

Nice photo, thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have the 6498 (no second hand) and in 2 1/2 years, I’ve worn it twice. I feel it wears a little large for my 7” wrist and would prefer the 40mm (or even a 36)

I get it.
    As it turns out just bought a 40mm Flieger from a fellow member. Wrist shot when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellery View Post
    I have the 6498 (no second hand) and in 2 1/2 years, I’ve worn it twice. I feel it wears a little large for my 7” wrist and would prefer the 40mm (or even a 36)

I recently started a thread here because I was wondering if the new Stowa Marine 36 might be a good replacement for my Marine Original with the 6498 movement. I really like the movement and the way it feels, but was concerned that the 41mm case was too large for my 7.25" wrist. In the end, I decided to keep my MO because I couldn't bear to part with this beautiful piece and its lovely movement. Oddly; once I decided to just keep and enjoy it, I stopped being concerned about whether it looked too large on my wrist. Between the black dial of the Flieger wearing inherently smaller than the white-dial Marine Original, and your 7.5" wrist, I think you'll be fine with your choice. The 6498 movement is really a treat to own. Besides the nice level of decoration Stowa applies to it, the winding feel is quite satisfying. Another plus for me is knowing that this watch uses a pocket watch movement. I think it adds a level of interest to my small collection, giving it a unique purpose for being there. Like you, I too have an Omega Speedmaster, albeit a FOIS. The Speedmaster FOIS at just a hair under 40mm wears about the same as a Speedy Pro, with the only size difference being in the integrated crown/pusher guards. The 41mm Marine Original does feel larger than the Speedy due to its longer lug-to-lug length and the already mentioned white dial. The tachymetre ring also serves to make the Speedmaster appear smaller in the same way as divers often do. I also have a 40mm Hamilton Khaki King that feels stop-on in size. However, I think it has more to do with the lower case height than it does with the 40mm diameter. If you like the Stowa Flieger and want it with a with the 6498 movement, I think you'll be pleased with the combination. Good luck to you.
    triumphrox likes this.

Thanks P. Ortiz for a great summation.
    So here's a wrist shot of the 40mm. I'm glad I went with the 40, although I still like just about everything else with the larger 6498. It confirms that for me, 40mm really is the sweet spot.

Name:  IMG_1980.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  682.1 KB

Thanks for all the input.

Very, very nice watch. I especially like the naked, no-logo dial. In the end, it has to feel right to you. I think you hit the sweet spot there.
    triumphrox likes this.

You made the right choice, size wise. Looks very good.

Enjoy it.
    triumphrox likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thread Information