Some advice?

Thread: Some advice?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some advice?

I have been wandering these forums for the past couple days, and have decided that my first "good" watch will be a Stowa Antea. I need some help with narrowing my decision though. Being that it is my first really good watch (my other is a beat up citizen ecodrive), is there any advice as to automatic or hand wound? I will be going for the smaller sized ones since I have a small wrist, so that leaves me with the KS or the 365.

Also, when you pay paypal through the international Stowa shop, does it get charged immediately or once the order is ready to ship?

Thanks so much,
    Aaron

Re: Some advice?

Quote Originally Posted by apresutt View Post
    Also, when you pay paypal through the international Stowa shop, does it get charged immediately or once the order is ready to ship?

Thanks so much,
    Aaron
    In a recent email i received from Stowa, you don't pay for it until its ready for dispatch.

I only have small wrists too but im going to go for an MO roman :)

Thanks for the quick reply! MO Roman is a beautiful piece.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Whether you want the auto or manual is really based on your preference. I have both types and I like them both. However, having a hand wound watch adds a little extra to the watch experience. It creates more interaction between you and the watch and gives the watch more personality. I wind mine every morning as part of my daily routine and hardly think about it anymore, it is not an inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by 336gabriel View Post
    Whether you want the auto or manual is really based on your preference. I have both types and I like them both. However, having a hand wound watch adds a little extra to the watch experience. It creates more interaction between you and the watch and gives the watch more personality. I wind mine every morning as part of my daily routine and hardly think about it anymore, it is not an inconvenience.
    Sorry for the thread hijack a little but whats the deal with hand winding a watch? All my previous have been automatics. I presume, like you say you have to wind it every day? and how do you know how far to wind it?

Wonder if Stowa will produce an MO roman automatic

Stowa has several manual models the Marine Original, Antea KS, and Airman Original. They used to have other models in addition to the current lineup. Depending on the movement used they do have a power reserve similar to the automatics of about 36hrs. So technically, you don't have to do it everyday, but it is easier for me to remember and do it first thing in the morning. You just wind it about 20+ times until you start feeling some resistance and then stop. It is that simple. There are many variety of handwound watches out there. If you want to experience one without spending a lot of money, most Russian watches are hand wound and very affordable. Every collector should at least have one.

If I had smaller wrists - I would snap up a KS in a heartbeat.

Notwithstanding the handwind over the auto movement argument - it is the fact that the KS has the Perseux 7001 movement which is a little bit different to the ubiquitous ETA 2824 Auto or even to a lesser extent the Unitas 6498 HW.

Did I read somewhere that production of the Perseux is stopping, so this might be your last chance to get one.

IMHO - a handwind has more personality than an auto. One has to 'handle' a handwind, it builds a bond, you look and appreciate it more.

Yeah, I know - personality, bonding - its only a watch
    Antea Black (Date - Milanaise Bracelet)
    Antea Creme COSC (No Date - Blued Hands)
    Antea KS
    Black Forest Flieger LE
    Flieger B-Uhr
    Flieger 2801 LE

Marine 2801 HW
    Marine Original
    Chrono 1938 Black
    Seatime Blue (ProDiver Bezel)
    Seatime WUS LE
    70's Quartz,
    Vintage PUW

Quote Originally Posted by langtoftlad View Post

Yeah, I know - personality, bonding - its only a watch
    Ha, Ha... but you're right. I love my seatime, which I wear pretty much daily now. But my MO's feel so much more different. I guess (for me) the manual movement makes them less of a tool (like the seatime) and more of an artifact, or something...

For a first stowa, I recommend a manual. Best path on which to start, special.

Also, yeah, if the KS was larger it would have been my first stowa long ago. I hope to one day see something comparable in the 40-42 mm. As it is, it's simply waaaay too small (for me). And I'm not a "big watch" guy. Seatime is my biggest.
    Last edited by Wolfjohn; July 19th, 2009 at 19:22.

I recently recieved an Antea KS & I specifically got it because I wanted a hand wind movmt.

I also wind it every morning (whether I will wear it that day or not) & there is something special about it.

As for the size, it wears much larger than it really is. I see it only slightly smaller than my 41mm Oris.
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

I don't have an Antea KS or 365, but my Nomos Tangente is identical in size to the KS. It wears similar to most 38mm non-diver watches, in that the dial is very large.

I have 6.9" wrists and think I could upsize to the 365, but I'm quite happy with the slim profile of the Tangente/KS sizes since it is my main dress watch. That said, I do hope to pick up a 365 sooner or later...

As mentioned, hand wound movements are not a pain to keep running. In fact, I find it more reassuring since you know it's nearly fully wound whenever you wind it. I hate waking up in the morning to an automatic that's run out of power in the middle of the night...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information