Some doubts about the Stowa Airman

Thread: Some doubts about the Stowa Airman

Some doubts about the Stowa Airman

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I am about buying a Stowa Airman (that would be my first "good" watch) at http://stowa.de. I have some questions for you :

1. What are the differences between the ETA 2824-2 non-COSC and COSC movements (screws, spring,...)? There are four grades for the 2824-2: standard, elaborated, top and chronometer. What grades are used for the non-COSC and COSC movements?
    2. Can this watch be serviced in your homeland? Do we have to send the watch to Germany in order to be serviced? What are the costs of a service (after 4-5 years)?
    3. As Stowa does not sell their watches at retailers, is impossible to get disccounts? (I have seen a coupon section at stowa.de)
    4. WR 5 ATM. Enough to swim?
    5. Sapphire crystal. On both sides?
    6. The strap is 20 or 22mm?

I hope that you can answer my questions! :thanks

Re: Some doubts about the Stowa Airman

Your point #1 looks like its from wikipedia am I right? I've searched there about the movements too.

1) From what i've read here and online, COSC doesn't necessarily mean its a different movement or parts, but rather after the movement is completed, it is sent out to another unbiased governing body which performs tests on the movement to ensure its accuracy.
    2) Any competant watch store should be able to service it. THe movement is very basic and used in many watches. But you can send it back to stowa if you want.
    3) I've posted about this. They don't give out coupons much, there was a one off instance in the past, but i don't think its happened since.
    4) Should be
    5) I believe its Sapphire on both sides.
    6) 22mm on the Marine Original, 20mm on the Marine Automatic, and 20 on the Airman.

Mind you, i'm new to all this and have like 15 posts....so take what i have written with caution.

BTW, a lot of the questions you asked can be found in the FAQ section on Stowa's website.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by ivanlt View Post
    Hi,

I am new to this forum and I am about buying a Stowa Airman (that would be my first "good" watch) at http://stowa.de. I have some questions for you :
    Welcome to Watchuseek and welcome to the Official Jörg Schauer & Stowa Forum as well.
    1. What are the differences between the ETA 2824-2 non-COSC and COSC movements (screws, spring,...)? There are four grades for the 2824-2: standard, elaborated, top and chronometer. What grades are used for the non-COSC and COSC movements?
    This question is answered in numerous threads here on WUS, just use the search function WUS is offering. You may also visit www.eta.ch or www.cosc.ch to get to know more and first hand.
    A lot of customers are very satisfied with their non-COSC-Stowa watches; read the serveral threads here on the forum.

2. Can this watch be serviced in your homeland? Do we have to send the watch to Germany in order to be serviced? What are the costs of a service (after 4-5 years)?
    Any skilled watchmaker can do it (which means I am not talking of those in shopping mals or department stores). Costs of a service is due to the grade of use and parts to be removed.

3. As Stowa does not sell their watches at retailers, is impossible to get disccounts? (I have seen a coupon section at stowa.de)
    No, despite you got a coupon from a further purchase or special sales promotion. Ordering the Limited Airman would save you same money too.

4. WR 5 ATM. Enough to swim?
    A Flieger watch usually isn´t made for swimming but nevertheless here we go with an answer:
    Watches with the lowest level of water resistance are labeled simply "water-resistant." They can withstand splashes of water but should not be submerged. Above that (or below it, literally speaking), the most common designations are

-50 meters (1 meter is about 3.3 feet), which means the watch is suitable for swimming;

-100 meters; indicating it can be worn snorkeling;

-200 meters, suitable for recreational scuba diving

-1,000 meters (roughly three-fifths of a mile).

5. Sapphire crystal. On both sides?
    Yes and no if you order without a display back.

6. The strap is 20 or 22mm?
    The FO needs a 22mm strap as described on the Stowa web site, the Airman Auto a 20mm strap.

Thanks, mike stuffler. I've been taking a look at some Airman pictures. But something that is still unclear to me is the design of the back. Is the same for the COSC and non-COSC version of the watch? The Airman of this forum thread is COSC certified and shows "Bauart, Gerät Nr, Werk Nr,..." whereas the COSC movement at stowa.de has the Stowa logo (?)

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by ivanlt View Post
    Thanks, mike stuffler. I've been taking a look at some Airman pictures. But something that is still unclear to me is the design of the back. Is the same for the COSC and non-COSC version of the watch? The Airman of this forum thread is COSC certified and shows "Bauart, Gerät Nr, Werk Nr,..." whereas the COSC movement at stowa.de has the Stowa logo (?)
    The Stowa Airman No Logo No date is fitted with the silver rotor and engraved as you already described and retails for 590 Euro. For additional 210 Euro you will get the COSC movement - the rotor will be the same. The "regular" Airman Automatic is fitted with the "regular" rotor engraved "Stowa" in golden letters. Both come with blued screws.
    Hope this will help with your decision.

Thread Information