Some questions from a future Marine owner

Thread: Some questions from a future Marine owner

acl

Some questions from a future Marine owner

Hi,

I've been in the market for a 'dressier' watch, as the only really decent watch I have at the moment is the Tag Aquaracer.

I was recommended the Marine and I fell in love with it instantly, it's an absolutely stunning watch.

I have a few questions, most of them probably ridiculously stupid, but I'm not a big watch buff.

Why can't you get the same second hand subdial on the automatic that you can on the original? I love that feature but would prefer the automatic.

And on that point, am I right in thinking the original model is the one which needs to be wound everyday and the automatic is the one which doesn't have a battery? (Told you I'm not a watch buff).

What is everyone's preference between the matte and polished case?

I also like the idea of having my initials and a date engraved on the watch, is this likely to decrease the value of the watch as an investment though, or does it not make a great deal of difference?

Lastly, how does the watch look on the wrist in terms of size? My wrists are quite big and while 40/41 doesn't seem especially small, I've seen a couple of comments on the forum saying they were surprised that it looks quite small.

Thanks for any help and I appreciate your patience dealing with a newbie and a watch novice!

Re: Some questions from a future Marine owner

Welcome to the Stowa forum acl!

The Marine Auto or Marine Original will do well as a dress watch. I was and still am a watch novice myself and I feel that there are tons of things that I can learn about the watch industry and watches but I assure you that once you start to get addicted to watches you can never stop and you will learn more and more about watches!

I will answer your questions as best as I can below:

Why can't you get the same second hand subdial on the automatic that you can on the original? I love that feature but would prefer the automatic.

I am not too confident about this, but I think the subdial (small second hand) usually accompanies with the Unitas 6498-1 that the Marine Original uses. The ETA 2824-2 that Marine Auto that has (as with many other watches that use this movement) typically uses the central second hand. It's just a common practice by most watch companies. Feel free to correct me on this.

And on that point, am I right in thinking the original model is the one which needs to be wound everyday and the automatic is the one which doesn't have a battery? (Told you I'm not a watch buff).

Yep, the Marine Original uses the Unitas 6498-1 which is a hand-wind movement. The Marine auto uses the ETA 2824-2 which is a self-winding auto movement. There is no battery on both movements.

What is everyone's preference between the matte and polished case?

I personally prefer matte in any watches and it's just my personal preference. I feel the matte finish is more sporty. The polished case however is more "dressier" and if you are buying a dress watch the polished case might be a better choice.

I also like the idea of having my initials and a date engraved on the watch, is this likely to decrease the value of the watch as an investment though, or does it not make a great deal of difference?

If you are keeping the watch and not selling it then I don't see personal engraving would hurt the value. But if you intend to sell it later on then your personal engraving might be a turn-off for the buyer (as the engraving associates with you but not him or her).

Lastly, how does the watch look on the wrist in terms of size? My wrists are quite big and while 40/41 doesn't seem especially small, I've seen a couple of comments on the forum saying they were surprised that it looks quite small.

Trust me, 40/41 is large enough for people with small wrist. Because the Marine is all dial and has a very thin bezel (or no bezel at all) it will wear BIG! And it will wear larger than the suggested 40/41 size on the wrist. Watches with a large bezel such as a diver watch will wear smaller than its suggested size.
    Last edited by senna89wc12; July 11th, 2011 at 03:51.

Re: Some questions from a future Marine owner

The automatic movement that Stowa uses in the Marine Auto is the ETA 2824-2. This movement is setup with a central seconds hand. They could have designed the automatic watch to house the ETA 2895-2, which is an automatic movement with small seconds subdial, but for some reason they didn't. If I had to guess I'd say it's because the date window would have to be either inside the small seconds dial (cluttered), or somewhere other than six o'clock which would break the symmetry of the dial.

Yes, the Marine Original needs to be manually wound every day or two.

The polished case is more dressy, and is my personal preference on the Marine series.

Personalizing the watch will make it harder to sell later.

The Marine Original looks quite big for it's 41mm size. That's partly because the dial is so big, and partly because the watch is reasonably thick. I've not seen the Auto version in person so can't comment.

Thread Information