Soon available: Marine 36 Small Second - Page 5
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Soon available: Marine 36 Small Second

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Soon available: Marine 36 Small Second

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpicasso View Post
    While I love the idea of a 36mm small seconds Marine, something about the scale of the watch doesn't strike me as right. Maybe it's because my eyes are used to those elements on larger dials, but the numbers seem too pushed together, and the scale of the crown to the smaller case seems not ideal. For some watches (like the Rolex Explorer) the original smaller size doesn't scale up well to a larger size, in my opinion. For this one, though, the reverse seems to be true--the original larger size doesn't scale down well. It's still a really nice watch, but not the look I hoped for years back when I vowed I'd flip my 40mm MA for a 36mm if one were ever produced. Future iterations might change my mind, but looking at it now...I'm happy to keep my MA. Looking forward to seeing wrist shots from new owners and reading your reviews!
    Interesting to hear this perspective as I fall on the other side of this. With my small wrist, I am used to the tighter space on small dials (my SKX013 work watch has a 27-28mm dial with relatively large indices). As a person who typically wears dark dials, I have always been intimidated by the amount of negative space on the white Marine, even on the 36mm. Seeing a few different pictures of this new model (including the Seoul limited edition), I am finally on board with the use of space on the dial. I'm sure if I had bigger wrists my preference would be different, but coming from mostly 34-38mm watches, this suites my taste perfectly. This is one of the reasons I love how many variations Stowa offers on their models.

I'm waiting to hear from Sarah if I can get this model with a brushed case. Once I get it in, I will be sure to put up a bunch of photos from different perspectives and lighting.

I can't even imagine how goofy a 36" diameter watch would look on my wrist.
    Stowa, Baume & Mercier, Ball, Fortis, Alpina, Oris

Quote Originally Posted by robi1138 View Post
    I can't even imagine how goofy a 36" diameter watch would look on my wrist.
    Well, for decades, that was normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2 View Post
    Interesting to hear this perspective as I fall on the other side of this. With my small wrist, I am used to the tighter space on small dials (my SKX013 work watch has a 27-28mm dial with relatively large indices). As a person who typically wears dark dials, I have always been intimidated by the amount of negative space on the white Marine, even on the 36mm. Seeing a few different pictures of this new model (including the Seoul limited edition), I am finally on board with the use of space on the dial. I'm sure if I had bigger wrists my preference would be different, but coming from mostly 34-38mm watches, this suites my taste perfectly. This is one of the reasons I love how many variations Stowa offers on their models.

I'm waiting to hear from Sarah if I can get this model with a brushed case. Once I get it in, I will be sure to put up a bunch of photos from different perspectives and lighting.
    Could you let us know if a brushed case is possible and the price on that. Would be very much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by middlepath View Post
    Could you let us know if a brushed case is possible and the price on that. Would be very much appreciated
    I’ll report back here when they get back to me. Should know on Monday and I will update the price if the brushed changes it.

Edit: Didn't hear back today (Monday). I'll reach out to Sarah tomorrow and see if she has an update.

Last edited by Mike2; 2 Weeks Ago at 17:52. Reason: Udpate
    jmariorebelo and alinla like this.

Heard back from Sarah:

“I did just receive the feedback, unfortunately, this model cannot be offered with a matt case. We can however, offer you the Marine Klassik 36 with the ETA movement with a brushed case.”

I’m still going with the new 36mm small seconds anyway. That was the only one I was considering.

middlepath likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2 View Post
    Heard back from Sarah:

“I did just receive the feedback, unfortunately, this model cannot be offered with a matt case. We can however, offer you the Marine Klassik 36 with the ETA movement with a brushed case.”

I’m still going with the new 36mm small seconds anyway. That was the only one I was considering.

Thanks for getting back to us. Like you, the 36 small seconds is the only Marine I’m considering. I would love to see it in the flesh before pulling the trigger but that’s probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Mike2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TgeekB View Post
    Well, for decades, that was normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Yeah I know...but it's not the norm now. And I have a 7.25" wrist...so there's that.
    Stowa, Baume & Mercier, Ball, Fortis, Alpina, Oris

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpicasso View Post
    While I love the idea of a 36mm small seconds Marine, something about the scale of the watch doesn't strike me as right. Maybe it's because my eyes are used to those elements on larger dials, but the numbers seem too pushed together, and the scale of the crown to the smaller case seems not ideal. For some watches (like the Rolex Explorer) the original smaller size doesn't scale up well to a larger size, in my opinion. For this one, though, the reverse seems to be true--the original larger size doesn't scale down well. It's still a really nice watch, but not the look I hoped for years back when I vowed I'd flip my 40mm MA for a 36mm if one were ever produced. Future iterations might change my mind, but looking at it now...I'm happy to keep my MA. Looking forward to seeing wrist shots from new owners and reading your reviews!
    I really like the dial but I agree about the crown - I notice it every time I see a photo.
    Cheers

M

Current collection: Glycine Combat 6 GL0106, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical H694190, Seiko Sarb 033, Citizen "Ray Mears" BN0118-55E , Casio Edifice EF-503D-1A, VSA Alliance, Citizen NY0040-09e, Seiko "Turtle" SBDY015, Lorus field watch RXF41AX7, Pulsar field watch PS9045, Seiko 5 SNXS77, SNXS73, Favre Leuba Vintage watch.
    Gone but not forgotten: Oris Big Crown Propilot, Seiko SKX009, Orient Star Classic, Citizen "Excalibur" BN0100-51E, Citizen NP4020-51A, Citizen BM8180-03E, Citizen BM6400-00e, VSA Officers day date
    Capture and release: Oris BC3, Hamilton Khaki Field, Timefactors Speedbird 3, Citizen World Timer CB0027-51E

Quote Originally Posted by robi1138 View Post
    Yeah I know...but it's not the norm now. And I have a 7.25" wrist...so there's that.
    I do too. People didn’t have large wrists in the past?
    It’s a recent trend that is tiny compared to the timeline watches have existed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information