Stowa 1938 height/wrist fit

Thread: Stowa 1938 height/wrist fit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stowa 1938 height/wrist fit

Hey All,

I've used the forum a lot in the last few months before ordering two Stowas; a black 1938 handwind and a white automatic Partitio. Both watches look amazing as everyone here already knows, but I find I much prefer the way the Partitio fits my wrist than the 1938. I have a 7 5/8 inch wrist and the 1938 feels like it "rides high" and moves around a little bit. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a common occurrence among taller watches (>13mm)? I was also wondering if it could be caused by the leather band which hasn't yet been broken in, thoughts?

I will add that I had a Stowa Marine Auto (40mm by 10.2mm) and it seemed to fit my wrist more like the Partitio. This site is a great resource for learning about watches most of us cannot see in person, and I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

Daewon

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Stowa 1938 height/wrist fit

Both 1938 I own fit my wrist perfectly as does the Kulisse chronograph. All on buckle, no deployants.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

They are thick.

My wrist is much smaller than yours, 6.75", and although it sat well on the wrist and did not move around for me, it did feel top-heavy at certain times.

You could try other types of straps?

Small inconvenience to pay for sure a great looking watch, IMHO.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mike what sort of straps are you using? Did they fit perfectly from the start? What is your wrist size? Have you ever encountered a watch that "rode high" or felt top heavy?

Nokie it is a great looker, did you keep yours? I have a dive watch that is roughly the same height but it's on a bracelet, seems like it fits better but maybe it's a weight distribution thing.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Both on Stowa croc straps, 22/18, the Schauer Kulisse is on a Kaufmann Aligator Full Cut with aditional inner rubber lining, 22/18, 115.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I would agree that the 1938 rides a little bit high, but I don't find it to be much different from a wear perspective than other watches I own such as the Marine Original. I don't have any issue getting my shirt cuff to cover the watch.

I think unless the strap fits your wrist perfectly there is going to be some movement of the watch, personally I kind of like having the flexibility to wear it under my cuff or closer to my hand where it can be seen. I like getting compliments on my watches, and with the 1938 there are certainly no shortage of those.

Quote Originally Posted by superultramega View Post
    Hey All,

I've used the forum a lot in the last few months before ordering two Stowas; a black 1938 handwind and a white automatic Partitio. Both watches look amazing as everyone here already knows, but I find I much prefer the way the Partitio fits my wrist than the 1938. I have a 7 5/8 inch wrist and the 1938 feels like it "rides high" and moves around a little bit. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a common occurrence among taller watches (>13mm)? I was also wondering if it could be caused by the leather band which hasn't yet been broken in, thoughts?

I will add that I had a Stowa Marine Auto (40mm by 10.2mm) and it seemed to fit my wrist more like the Partitio. This site is a great resource for learning about watches most of us cannot see in person, and I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

Daewon

My 1938s are autos and yes they are definitely top heavy. I think it is a combination of a thick watch with a tapered strap. However, the manual wind 1938 watches are slightly thinner due to the elimination of the rotor so it could be worse! You might want to consider a non tapered strap. Regardless, they are beauties!

I bought the 1938 with the idea it would be my dress watch but I may have to reconsider because of the thickness. I've learned (this week) I like thin watches but if I went for a thicker one it would be a non-dress, such as the Prodiver or TO 2. The 1938 is a beautiful piece of art but I feel like it is somewhere between a sport chrono and a dress watch which makes it hard for me to justify keeping. I don't know how often I would wear it. Does anyone else have these concerns?

Ahhh, still torn whether to keep (so pretty) or return (so big)...

I'm thinking about rounding out a collection over the next couple years and whether my Partitio would make an able dress watch, which means I could get something like the TO 2 next. Or if I should get a dedicated dress watch FC slimline moonphase 38.3 (?). Not sure how the 1938 fits. Serious hardships!

On my 7,2 inch wirst :

[/url]

[/url]

The '38 is certainly a tall watch. I measured my auto black dial at 15mm tall. That's really too tall for a traditional dress watch, but since this is a chrono, I don't wear it as a dress watch, but with more casual attire. Despite its height, the dial and overall impression of the watch is so lovely, I can easily forgive it for that.
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information