Stowa For 40th Birthday?

Thread: Stowa For 40th Birthday?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stowa For 40th Birthday?

Hi,

I've been lurking around the forums for a little while looking for ideas for a 40th birthday watch for myself. I posted an entry on the Public Forum a while ago looking for ideas & was pointed in the direction of Stowa (thanks to Mike Stuffler!).
    They do seem like fine watches - I think I will eventually purchase an Airman Auto (not sure which one yet) as I like the style, but for now I'm looking for that 'special' watch to mark my 40th (although I'm sure all Stowas are pretty special).
    The Marine Original is very impressive, especially from the rear, but as my wrist is a bit thin (around 17cm, which I think is 6.7", but quite flat) I feel it may look a bit too massive? The Anteas also look pretty nice, and may be better in size, but that MO seems to have a bit more, plus I would like it to be suitable to wear to my brothers wedding next year, so it needs to be slightly dressy. I originally wanted an auto, but am not too bothered now if it's a manual or an auto.
    Can anyone help me to come to a decision?! For information I also looked at an IWC Spitfire Mark XVI, with the silver dial, at a dealer and that was super, but I don't think I could justify that kind of price (around £2400 - I live in the UK).
    Apologies for the essay & thankyou in advance to anyone that replies.
    Cheers!

Re: Stowa For 40th Birthday?

FWIW, I much prefer the Stowa Flieger to the IWC Mk XVI. It's just icing on the cake that it's so well priced.

Any of the Stowa range will fit fine on your wrist - it just takes a little time to get used to a larger size. Well worth it for the additional "wrist presence" of a larger watch IMO.

Thanks for chiming in.
    Can't go wrong with a Marine Original (MO) or a Marine Auto (MA) to mark the special occasion. Either would be dressy for a wedding. Anteas are very nice as well and are dressy too, maybe more so. Everyone's taste is a little different, but if one piece speaks to you more than another, then it's the right choice. Not sure what your question is though. You mentioned size...search "small wrists" and you'll find other small wristed brethrens with the MO/MA to see what it looks like on the wrist. Here's one link I found showing some smaller wrist shots. The 41mm(MO)/40mm(MA) case size isn't too daunting, but the dial is most of that, which gives it the larger presence. If you've spent any time on this forum you've seen that the MO is a very popular piece, so you may get more feedback on the MO vs. the Antea. The Antea comes in two sizes, another option if you are looking for a smaller piece. Choices, choices...

I would consider the MO/MA a watch to wear any day, as it can be dressed up or down, and the Antea would be more a formal/professional attire watch. If I were looking for a pure formal watch, the Antea may better suited than the MO. But that MO polished with a black croc strap does look nice...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is an LE MO, but the "standard" MO's are equally stunning.

The Antea line is also very very well done, so I don't know if I helped or not, but at least I have a Pic to contribute.

Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

I have the same size (and probably shape) wrist as you - 17cm and quite flat. I find that MO wears "true to size" so to speak, appropriately big, but not huge. I don't find it oversized for my wrist at all, and I'm not into huge watches in general, my preferred case size being around 38-39mm (IWC Mk XVI is a perfect example).
    I also own Nomos Tangente (identical size to Stowa Antea?) and it wears large for its size due to its light colored dial, thin bezel and case. It's probably a little dressier than MO, and also less conspicuous (for the wearer too, since it's so light and thin).

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I just re-read my original post and yes, it is more of a ramble than a question. Apologies for that; I guess what I was trying to ask was would the MO be OK on my size of wrist (seems yes). A common enough question it appears, having searched through the forum. Plus, is it dressy enough for a wedding, but not over-dressy (seem yes again).
    I was able to visit a jewellers yesterday & try on a couple of watches that seemed similar in size, to get an idea of the size. They were both made by Ball & from a size point of view looked fine. I must say though that the Trainmaster Cleveland Express model with the silver dial & raised blued numerals looked pretty nice. At £1300 is was quite a bit dearer than the MO though.
    The MO is pretty tempting ...
    Cheers!

Hi lambic, welcome to the forum!

First of all, take your time to make your choice as a well chosen timepiece could be with you for a lifetime.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the size of the MO or Flieger, its still a sensible size in today's age of 44mm+ monsters. If you have any doubts, go and try on something like an IWC Portugeiser on for size as its readily found in the UK and of similar proportions to an MO. I have similar sized wrist and found that going smaller than 40mm starts to really restrict your choices nowadays.

I'd go for a MO over a Flieger Automatic, but the Flieger Original is the ultimate desirable Stowa for me. Its just a shame that this model is currently unavailable to those who have just discovered Stowa, with no firm dates for when it will come back in to production.

If you want to blow all of that budget, then check out Dornbleuth who do marine style watches in the £2K+ price range and are just that little more special in terms of finish and movement (though at a price). I'm still not 100% clear on whether the dornbleuth's are a true manufacture movement or heavily modified stock movement, could someone set me straight?
    http://www.dornblueth.com/flash.php

Towards the top of your budget, I'd also consider looking for a pre-owned Jaeger LeCoultre. IMO they offer some of the best bang for buck out of the true manufactures. Some of the less complicated Master Control series would be within your price range in the pre-owned market:
    http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/eu/e...aster-control/

All said however, the MO is a fine watch and I've personally pulled the trigger on a MOLEII to go with my GMTIIC and (forthcoming) FO3.

You would do very well with a Marine Original. I have mine on the bracelet and I love it. Looks good with a suit or jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by mingsta View Post
    Hi lambic, welcome to the forum!

First of all, take your time to make your choice as a well chosen timepiece could be with you for a lifetime.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the size of the MO or Flieger, its still a sensible size in today's age of 44mm+ monsters. If you have any doubts, go and try on something like an IWC Portugeiser on for size as its readily found in the UK and of similar proportions to an MO. I have similar sized wrist and found that going smaller than 40mm starts to really restrict your choices nowadays.

I'd go for a MO over a Flieger Automatic, but the Flieger Original is the ultimate desirable Stowa for me. Its just a shame that this model is currently unavailable to those who have just discovered Stowa, with no firm dates for when it will come back in to production.

If you want to blow all of that budget, then check out Dornbleuth who do marine style watches in the £2K+ price range and are just that little more special in terms of finish and movement (though at a price). I'm still not 100% clear on whether the dornbleuth's are a true manufacture movement or heavily modified stock movement, could someone set me straight?
    http://www.dornblueth.com/flash.php
    Very good advice here, IMHO. I agree that the FO is preferable to the FA. I also pulled the trigger on a MO LE 2. For my 40th birthday (approaching in a just few years now) I am thinking about taking the plunge on a Dornbluth. They are indeed dearer, but they have a superior fit and finish. I've heard about their level of customizablity,and really find the 99.0, 99.1, 99.2, and 99.3 desirable. I go to Europe to see family every couple of years and would like to time picking the watch up with a visit to the factory. They do modify the movements so that the small second has hacking. The lack of that feature is the one thing that bugs me about a more standard Unitas movement (such as the one Stowa uses). But for the money, the MO (or either of the LE's) is a great value.

You should at least look at a Dornbluth if you are wiling to spend that kind of money. Or do what many would do and buy a Marine Original and a Flieger Original (when they inevitably become available again).

One thing I will add is that I think you should consider roman numerals for a more formal watch (wearing to a wedding). As I recall the dial on the Romans is enamel, right? So that's different from the standard MO, isn't it? Somebody correct/validate me here.

Whatever you do, you'll end up with some fine timepieces.

By the way, this site (http://www.dornbluethblog.com/Watches/Regulator.html) has some good high resolutions pics of Dornbluths. You can find all sorts of Stowa pics in this forum by using the search feature. :)

Hi Cursor,

"........They do modify the movements so that the small second has hacking."
    With that detail only the Dornblüth Zentrumsekunde comes ( http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/vi...8&idcategory=0 )
    All the other Dornblüth's can be customized with the Quattro Arret, that means that the second hand will stop at the next quarter ( "3", "6", "9" and "12") as soon as the crown is drawn. It's not a serial feature.

Stowa Flieger Original does have a similar function: The second hand stops at "12".

Volker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information