Stowa Accuracy

Thread: Stowa Accuracy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Stowa Accuracy

I'm sure this is the kind of thread that gets done occasionally, but with new potential customers coming here every week if not every day it should never be off the front page too long.

I have two Stowa watches, an Icarus and one of the recent handwinding Fliegers, the accuracy of both have astounded me.

The Icarus I brought with me to a foreign football match a few months ago, we would have been on the go for about two days, I never took it off, so it was on my wrist the whole time, and when I got back I checked it against the same radio controlled watch that I set it to before I left, it was running at plus two seconds after two days on the wrist (ie no self regulation)

The handwinding Flieger I have worn for the last two days, I put it on Sunday late morning/early afternoon, took it off this morning, so close to three days, and it was running at nearly 2 seconds fast. This had also been worn on my wrist for the entire time

I know I may have just been lucky, do Stowa do any regulation of the movements? (Icarus is not COSC by the way)

What have other peoples experiences been like?

Re: Stowa Accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Nolimits View Post
    I know I may have just been lucky, do Stowa do any regulation of the movements? (Icarus is not COSC by the way)
    My experience is that nearly all STOWA-watches are very well regulated and normally inside the COSC-rules (without being COSC-certified, which in my opinion is money thrown out of the window - just check the spex of the certification). While I am sure, that my wife will not read this message, I can admit that this observation is based on the purchase of 15+ watches...

But I write "nearly all", which leaves an exception for the FOs - with them I accepted an accuracy outside my normal range, based on the specialties of the movement. But this is, in my opinion, also just a clinical judgement based on my tests in all positions - on the wrist even those watches stayed below 10 sec. / day

Quote Originally Posted by hart-metall View Post
    But I write "nearly all", which leaves an exception for the FOs
    Just to show you never can tell, my FO is one of the most accurate watches I have. Less than 1 sec. fast per day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My Antea Day Date has been equally impressive. Last I checked it was about -0.5s/day.

FM7

Looking forward to that on my own Antea Day Date Waynertron, in another month or so! Until then I will have to make due with my non-cosc Marine Automatic with gets +15 per day. I was slightly disappointed at that performance at first, being exactly on the acceptable dividing line, until I read this from Herr Shauer: "But please be advised that it makes no sence to try to regulate a watch nearly to "O" because every mechanical watch will be loosing seconds after months/years.
    If we have regulated nearly "0" the time that the watch will be gaining time comes earlier."
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f36/sto....html#poststop

While I'd love to have exact on my MA, I plan on owning it for the rest of my life so 15 seconds is nothing, and I haven't even had it regulated for the first time yet.

My new Flieger isn't what I'd call "exceptional" when it comes to accuracy..it's only a few weeks old, but it gains about 11 seconds a day. Maybe it will get better with time?

Steve

My Antea KS arrived and it was 12 seconds fast. As the days progressed it became faster and faster. At 25+ seconds fast a day I had enough. I had let Stowa know immediately and got a message back saying that they'd fix it up to my liking. However, I really didn't want to send the watch back so I took it upon myself to regulate it myself. I got it down to basically less than 1 sec +/- a day. However, in doing so I mangled all the tiny screws (even lost one for a few days until amazingly I found it on the bottom of some plastic bag) by using a screwdriver that didn't really fit. Stowa, with their amazing customer service, helped me out with the screws even after I told them what I had done.

So, the watch has been a joy to wear and it's really nice to compare the time to the atomic clock in the morning and then in the evening and see that not more than maybe a second had slipped by in accuracy. At the moment the watch is exactly how it was this morning so not a second was gained or lost. Just wonderful.

Have to say, I've never ever checked the accuracy of any watch, i'd probably do it if it was wildly out, like minutes, but lets face it lifes too short, if you want an accurate to the second watch by a quartz, be like buying a sporstcar and worrying that it wasn't as comfotable as your friends Luxury Sedan.

In my case my new Stowa was inaccurate by minutes after a few days. A quartz doesn't guarantee that it'll be accurate to the second. My Omega X-33 loses 3 seconds after some time consistently. My 2 quartz wall clock is off by 5 minutes. My Casios, Nike, and Polar LCD watches along with most of my quartz analog face watches all lose time too. My most accurate watches are my T-Touch (quartz), my Stowa (mechanical), Omega Speedmaster Pro (mechanical), and, don't laugh, my Kenneth Cole skeleton watch (mechanical). So, just because it's a quartz doesn't mean that it'll stay accurate after a month or two.

Life is too short to NOT have an accurate watch. Remember, this is a watch forum with people that are obsessed with accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Have to say, I've never ever checked the accuracy of any watch, i'd probably do it if it was wildly out, like minutes, but lets face it lifes too short, if you want an accurate to the second watch by a quartz, be like buying a sporstcar and worrying that it wasn't as comfotable as your friends Luxury Sedan.

No one who buys a mechanical watch does so for its accuracy, as you rightly said a quartz would be much more accurate, but that's not to say that accuracy is not important in mechanical watches, it's very important, people still pay extra so they have a movement guaranteed to me more accurate than normal, I have two Stowas, and despite the fact that I didn't pay for the increased accuracy I still got it. It's the kind of thing that is worth mentioning.

I wouldn't say I am obsessed with accuracy, I wear a different watch most days (as I'm sure a lot on here do) so even if the watch ended up being out by 25 seconds it wouldn't matter at all, because I'll only be wearing it one day and 25 seconds is nothing. I don't know what most of my watches time at to be honest.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information