Stowa Airman automatic w/out logo vs Archimede historic pilot watch

Thread: Stowa Airman automatic w/out logo vs Archimede historic pilot watch

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Stowa Airman automatic w/out logo vs Archimede historic pilot watch

Hi
    Am between stowa airman automatic w/out logo and the archimede (42mm) watch.
    I have a thin wrist(7inch) and i was wondering would the Stowa (40mm) be too small eventhough i know that since the dial is fairly empty the watch looks biggerThe archimede looks slighty big on my wrist(i have attached a photo)
    Also does it worth the extra money for the stowa?They both have open back case, blue dials, same caliber, hte archimede u can get it on a titanium case...i mean is there any difference on the finishing of stowa to reason the extra money....

regards
    ioannis12

Re: Stowa Airman automatic w/out logo vs Archimede historic pilot watch

Hi Ioannis!

I own the Stowa Airman. Unfortunately I have never had an opportunity to handle an Archimede in person. From what I have read on this forum I understand that there is a difference regarding finish and attention to detail between the Stowa and the Archimede. The hands on the Stowa are heat-blued for instance. On the Archimede they are painted blue. From photographs of the Archimede that I have seen it seems to have a bead-blasted finish. The Stowa has a brushed finish that according to me adds to the impression of quality. I have read that the leather straps on the Archimede watches are of an inferior standard. That can not be said about the straps on the Stowa watches. All in all, from what I have gathered, it seems that there is a quality discrepancy between the two watches that motivates the price-premium for the Stowa.

Best regards

Pierre

I would get a stowa airman if I could afford it now. My archimede is my daily watch because it fits me perfectly. Whenever I wear my rolex I tend to be careful, even though I think it could take more of a beating than the archimede...

I think you should get whichever one you have enough money for, and wont feel too bad about wearing (and beating up!)...

The Stowa is of nicer quality, and im sure it is all around a better watch.

my .02

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre_S View Post
    Hi Ioannis!

I own the Stowa Airman. Unfortunately I have never had an opportunity to handle an Archimede in person. From what I have read on this forum I understand that there is a difference regarding finish and attention to detail between the Stowa and the Archimede. The hands on the Stowa are heat-blued for instance. On the Archimede they are painted blue. From photographs of the Archimede that I have seen it seems to have a bead-blasted finish. The Stowa has a brushed finish that according to me adds to the impression of quality. I have read that the leather straps on the Archimede watches are of an inferior standard. That can not be said about the straps on the Stowa watches. All in all, from what I have gathered, it seems that there is a quality discrepancy between the two watches that motivates the price-premium for the Stowa.

Best regards

Pierre
    Good observations, nothing to add.

100% agree, stowa has better quality in overall. No matter in hand, watchcase...

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre_S View Post
    Hi Ioannis!

Best regards

Pierre

The details of the two watches were explained in good detail - nothing to add (although I think the difference in strap quality is not such an issue - the Archimede is acceptable, the Stowa somehow better but it's of course not an expensive strap as standard)

I think the Archimede is worth the money (or was? after the latest increases) and I think the Stowa is worth the money.
    But I'd advise in case you can afford go for the Stowa.

I recently upgraded my father's Archimede with a used Stowa - although I don't wear that watch for me it was worth to do so

I have an airman auto, excellent fit & finish, woth the money...good value for the $. It's one of the most comfortable watches I own, and at 40mm as big a "pilot/fleiger" watch I would wear. I have 6 3/4-7" wrist(depending on how sweaty and puffy I get!), the pic is a close up and looks distorted............IMO get the Stowa,no disappointment.

Chances are, you'll get more positive responses from Stowa fans by asking a question like that on the Stowa forum. The Stowa ends up on my wrist more often, but others that see the 42mm when I wear it, comment on the 42mm ARCHIMEDE more often.

Here is a side by side image of the ARCH 42mm and the Stowa Airman. If you want images with a bit more detail, I'll have to capture them over the weekend.

I wear both the Pilot Original LE and the Stowa Airman no-logo, but no images to post at this time.

Hope this helps in the meantime.

Thank you,
    Glen

Last edited by inlanding; November 21st, 2008 at 19:04.

thanks glen
    if u could post some fotos would b great!!!and the airman without the log

regards
    ioann12

Picture Re: Stowa Airman automatic w/out logo vs Archimede historic pilot watch

Here are a few q/d images of the 42mm ARCH PO LE next to the standard Auto Airman No Logo.

Glen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information