Stowa Airman no-logo: impressions
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Stowa Airman no-logo: impressions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stowa Airman no-logo: impressions

After many months of lurking on these fora and collecting research, I have finally received my first mechanical watch: a COSC Stowa Airman no-logo. This was not a decision I made lightly, as it is a foolish man who parts with a considerable amount of his (limited) resources to acquire what amounts to a miniaturized mechanical folly.

I went with the Stowa Airman no-logo for a number of reasons:

1. I am obsessed with value for money. I gleaned from months of research that you would be hard pressed to find a better quality or finer finished watch for your hard-earned cash.
    2. Legacy - the original reason for wanting to purchase a decent watch was the ability for me to pass it on to my daughter or son when the time came for me to depart for Valhalla. With the history, build quality and timeless styling of the Stowa Airman, it fit the bill without breaking the bank.
    3. I am big on the concept of 'handmade'. Though I certainly understand that there are portions of the Stowa manufacturing process that are automated (some even outside Germany), there is a big difference between Mr. Schauer personally inspecting and finishing every watch that leaves his factory and the assembly line approach of many 'high-end' watch makers.
    4. Uniqueness - this is a hard one to describe, but sufficed to say I am not one to be overly impressed by someone simply because they are wearing a Rolex or Tag.

So, fast-forward to this afternoon and my first impressions of my brand new Airman:

• It is far more 'delicate' than I thought it was going to be. This is no criticism, for I have relatively small wrists (6.75") and so I am unable to realistically wear many of the current style of oversized watches. I just can't see myself being able to ever wear a Seatime, U1, or any other modern diving watch.
    • The detailing on the face is immaculate, and I have already fallen in love with the way the blued hands jump out in the right light. The movement, though more of a workhorse than a racehorse, is beautifully decorated. The handmade and individualized rotor is a great touch.
    • After wearing a quartz for a long time, I love the the organic nature of the watch's beating heart.
    • I wish that the water resistance was beefed up a little - after wearing a G-Shock for so long, I often forget to take my watch off to shower, swim or do the dishes.
    • The people working at Stowa really understand how to treat their customers. Every person I interacted with replied quickly and politely (even when I changed my order at the last second) and I received the watch in good order the day after it was shipped. Thank you Regine, Viveca, Viktoria and Jorg.

I am not the first, nor certainly the last (if the popularity of this forum is to considered), to wax poetic on this watch, I though I would contribute my thoughts.

G

Smile Re: Stowa Airman no-logo: impressions

Quote Originally Posted by gogoplata View Post
    After many months of lurking on these fora and collecting research, I have finally received my first mechanical watch: a COSC Stowa Airman no-logo. This was not a decision I made lightly, as it is a foolish man who parts with a considerable amount of his (limited) resources to acquire what amounts to a miniaturized mechanical folly.

1. I am obsessed with value for money. I gleaned from months of research that you would be hard pressed to find a better quality or finer finished watch for your hard-earned cash.
    2. Legacy - the original reason for wanting to purchase a decent watch was the ability for me to pass it on to my daughter or son when the time came for me to depart for Valhalla. With the history, build quality and timeless styling of the Stowa Airman, it fit the bill without breaking the bank.
    3. I am big on the concept of 'handmade'. Though I certainly understand that there are portions of the Stowa manufacturing process that are automated (some even outside Germany), there is a big difference between Mr. Schauer personally inspecting and finishing every watch that leaves his factory and the assembly line approach of many 'high-end' watch makers.
    4. Uniqueness - this is a hard one to describe, but sufficed to say I am not one to be overly impressed by someone simply because they are wearing a Rolex or Tag.
    So, fast-forward to this afternoon and my first impressions of my brand new Airman:

• It is far more 'delicate' than I thought it was going to be. This is no criticism, for I have relatively small wrists (6.75") and so I am unable to realistically wear many of the current style of oversized watches. I just can't see myself being able to ever wear a Seatime, U1, or any other modern diving watch.
    • The detailing on the face is immaculate, and I have already fallen in love with the way the blued hands jump out in the right light. The movement, though more of a workhorse than a racehorse, is beautifully decorated. The handmade and individualized rotor is a great touch.
    • After wearing a quartz for a long time, I love the the organic nature of the watch's beating heart.
    • I wish that the water resistance was beefed up a little - after wearing a G-Shock for so long, I often forget to take my watch off to shower, swim or do the dishes.
    • The people working at Stowa really understand how to treat their customers. Every person I interacted with replied quickly and politely (even when I changed my order at the last second) and I received the watch in good order the day after it was shipped. Thank you Regine, Viveca, Viktoria and Jorg.
    I am not the first, nor certainly the last (if the popularity of this forum is to considered), to wax poetic on this watch, I though I would contribute my thoughts.

G
    Thanks for your thoughts G

I am in the agonising position of knowing there is a Stowa Airman no logo sitting in my wifes wardrobe waiting for my 40th Birthday to happen next Friday....

To make matters worse my "friend" here at work took advantage of an offer on an Icarus that Viveca had from a show and has already taken delivery of it..Lovely to see but it all adds to the pain quite frankly
    Anyhow - Thanks for sharing and very best wishes for a long and satisfying relationship.

Mark

Re: Stowa Airman no-logo: impressions

Quote Originally Posted by gogoplata View Post

G
    Welcome to the family of Stowa enthusiasts. Stowa is a fine, growing company that provides superlative timepieces and attentive customer service of which I am a huge fan. Your Airman is a fine timepiece, beautiful in every regard and it's great to know you are learning to appreciate an extremely well-crafted watch beyond what you've become accustomed. A Stowa Airman is no mechanical folly. That's right, it's no G-Shock and the G-Shock is definitely no Stowa Airman!

Have fun with it, wear it in good health. One thing though...you have to post some images so we can enjoy it with you!

Glen

Airman No Logo in Denver says hello...

Last edited by inlanding; May 28th, 2009 at 17:55.
    mitadoc likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good choice of first real watch. :)

@gmttoo:

I feel your pain about having to wait for the watch, though I am not going to ask how you know what your gift is before you've received it...

I very nearly bought an Ikarus, but in the end decided to wait for the more traditional styling of the Airman. That Rhodium dial does look brilliant though.

Cheers for the best wishes!

@inlanding:

Thank you for the warm welcome. Though I am growing very fond of it, there is no denying that a mechanical watch is a folly - it is expensive, difficult to manufacture and maintain, and we have technology that far surpasses it in accuracy. This is part of the reason I am so fond of it!

Greetings from London UK...

G

Oh, and a photo:

Last edited by stuffler,mike; May 29th, 2009 at 23:28. Reason: faulty link
    mitadoc likes this.

Very nice watch! But make sure you take it off before the jiu-jitsu sparring

SG

@Superblue: Ha! You've got that right

planet1225

Is that crown that comes with this watch an "onion" crown?

Quote Originally Posted by planet1225 View Post
    Is that crown that comes with this watch an "onion" crown?

yup, you can choose the Stowa logo crown if you want, but IMO it is not as nice looking on the airman (though I love their logo!). Here are pictures I got from Tobias at Stowa showing the different crowns.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

mitadoc likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information