Stowa Airman Owner on Tourby Pilot?

Thread: Stowa Airman Owner on Tourby Pilot?

Stowa Airman Owner on Tourby Pilot?

I'd love to hear thoughts on Tourby Pilot watch from a Stowa Airman owner if any. Comparison photos would be icing on the cake! Thank you.

stuffler,mike

Re: Stowa Airman Owner on Tourby Pilot?

Just my two cents:

You can't compare the Stowa Airman (fitted with an automatic ETA 2824-2) in a 40mm case and the Tourby pilot's watches with a handwounded Unitas 6497 or 6498 in 42mm or 45mm cases. The differences are obvious imho.

If you compare the Stowa AO (41mm case, but with a remarkable modification - seconds hand out of the center) with other pilot's watches not being modified that way but featuring (only) the basic Unitas the Stowa wins just because of this modification and because of its pedigree.

fair point. any comments on its fit and finish in comparison to Stowa? Anyone?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I hope you get some side-by-side, real life photos, ankheelt. The differences in movements is noteworthy, but I would also like to compare just the look of the two, as you seem to desire as well. Good luck. Maybe someone has some wrist shots?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Just my two cents:
    If you compare the Stowa AO (41mm case, but with a remarkable modification - seconds hand out of the center) with other pilot's watches not being modified that way but featuring (only) the basic Unitas the Stowa wins just because of this modification and because of its pedigree.
    Absolutely agree. The movement is one of the prettiest you can buy especially for the money.

Do you know if that is an original design with the exposed wheel or is there some history and background relating to this design? I have not seen this anywhere or on any of the Soprod movements.

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by cybee View Post
    Absolutely agree. The movement is one of the prettiest you can buy especially for the money.

Do you know if that is an original design with the exposed wheel or is there some history and background relating to this design? I have not seen this anywhere or on any of the Soprod movements.
    You have not seen it anywhere ? Well here we go: Steinhart. If you want to modify the Unitas from ex-center to center second you are in need of that wheel !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank-you Mike for the response and info. The Steinhart looks great. Also, looks like some alterations with the bridges is necessary to acommodate the outside wheel. A great looking movement that I would love to own.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Just my two cents:

You can't compare the Stowa Airman (fitted with an automatic ETA 2824-2) in a 40mm case and the Tourby pilot's watches with a handwounded Unitas 6497 or 6498 in 42mm or 45mm cases. The differences are obvious imho.

Interestingly since Tourby is going to be offering a Unitas movement with center second hand in August there's probably going to be a more direct comparision with the AO available.

Quote Originally Posted by dc_in_sf View Post
    Interestingly since Tourby is going to be offering a Unitas movement with center second hand in August there's probably going to be a more direct comparision with the AO available.
    This is exactly right. When Tourby releases his center-second Unitas, we will have a more direct comparison. For now, let me say that I'm the happy owner of two Tourby 45mm big Pilot watches, and I think the fit and finish is first class. Tourby offers some options within the small-second Unitas movements that are fairly unique, ie. blued swan neck, PVD movement finishes, etc, and also three different dial finishes with either small seconds at 9 (6497) or at 6 (6498). This is the only company to my knowledge that has all these choices. He also offers some gorgeous old stock Hamilton movements in his 42mm cases, again with small seconds.
    I do not have a Stowa Airman, but I do have a Prodiver and Seatime. These are also first-class watches in a different genre. I think what it boils down to is the fact that both watch brands are a "class act" and then it's whatever "calls out" to you! I personally love Tourby's 45mm case and dial, but that's me...!

stuffler,mike

Let's hope that Tourby and Jörg have not the same source. For all future Tourby customers: Fingers crossed !

Thread Information