Stowa Antea 365 or 390: Question on Size, Strap and Movement

Thread: Stowa Antea 365 or 390: Question on Size, Strap and Movement

Stowa Antea 365 or 390: Question on Size, Strap and Movement

Hi,

I have made a decsion to order a Stowa Antea as a dress watch. I was recently debating about it or a Nomos Tangemat, but in the end, I have decided that since I wear my casual watch 80% of the time and I am hard on watches, I am worried I would destroy an expensive piece. I think that the Stowa Antea represents a great alternative for me. I am going order a white faced, blue hand model with a black strap.

I have some questions for you more experienced Stowa wearers.

Size: I have about a 7" (18 cm) wrist and typically wear a large dive watch with a 44 mm face. I understand that the Antea's face wears larger. I am thinking that I should order the 390, but some say a dress watch should be smaller (e.g. like the 365). Any opinions welcome

Leatherstrap Style: The Antea comes standard with a black leather strap and deployment buckle. I wear deployments on my brcelet watches, but have never tried to operate it on a leather strap. How easy is it to operate and comfortable to wear vs. oe of their Napa Leather straps with a buckle? Which do you think is a better look for a "dress watch"?

Movement Option: I am interested in the visual differences between the regular 2824-2 and the COSC as seen through the display back. It is my understanding that they look somewhat different and the COSC are available with less lead time. Is this true?

Lastly, I have an Orbita watchwinder, what settings do 2824-2s like? Is both directions 650 turns per day OK, my Ball likes that and it has a 2836-2?

Thank you very much!

Bob
    __________________________________________________ __________________

AUDEMARS PIGUET | BLANCPAIN | DAMASKO | GRAND SEIKO | ROLEX

Re: Stowa Antea 365 or 390: Question on Size, Strap and Movement

Hi Bob!

My personal opinions as follows:

1. Size

I have a Nomos Tangente Datum which has an approximately 1 mm smaller diameter than the Antea 365. My Nomos wears very elegantly and it is true that the very thin bezel of this design (more or less the same as the Antea's) makes the watch look bigger than it's actual size would imply.

There is a certain aspect about the Antea 365 that makes me prefer it compared to the 390. I am referring to the ratio between its diameter and its height. With the height of the Antea with automatic movement being the same on both models, the relatively smaller diameter of the 365 gives the watch a more prominent presence and a much more appealing "balance of design elements" according to me. Besides that, the movement fills up the crystal case-back handsomely on the 365, whilst looking a little too small on the 390. All of these are of course very subjective perspectives that may vary from person to person.

2. Leatherstrap Style

A deployment buckle gives the watch a more "classy" look and enhances the life-expectancy of your leather strap. To really top things off you should order the Antea with a genuine Crocodile/Alligator strap and of course a deployment buckle. These are by the way very easy to operate.

3. Movement Option

The COSC-option is heavily decorated and looks better than the standard 2824. Check Stowa's website for pictures of the movement.

Lastly, the 2836-2 is basically a 2824-2 with an added day-display complication. I would reckon that your Stowa Antea would feel quite comfortable wobbling back and forth at the same rate as your Ball Engineer.

Best regards

Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by iim7v7im7 View Post
    Hi,

I have made a decsion to order a Stowa Antea as a dress watch. I was recently debating about it or a Nomos Tangemat, but in the end, I have decided that since I wear my casual watch 80% of the time and I am hard on watches, I am worried I would destroy an expensive piece. I think that the Stowa Antea represents a great alternative for me. I am going order a white faced, blue hand model with a black strap.

I have some questions for you more experienced Stowa wearers.

Size: I have about a 7" (18 cm) wrist and typically wear a large dive watch with a 44 mm face. I understand that the Antea's face wears larger. I am thinking that I should order the 390, but some say a dress watch should be smaller (e.g. like the 365). Any opinions welcome

Leatherstrap Style: The Antea comes standard with a black leather strap and deployment buckle. I wear deployments on my brcelet watches, but have never tried to operate it on a leather strap. How easy is it to operate and comfortable to wear vs. oe of their Napa Leather straps with a buckle? Which do you think is a better look for a "dress watch"?

Movement Option: I am interested in the visual differences between the regular 2824-2 and the COSC as seen through the display back. It is my understanding that they look somewhat different and the COSC are available with less lead time. Is this true?

Lastly, I have an Orbita watchwinder, what settings do 2824-2s like? Is both directions 650 turns per day OK, my Ball likes that and it has a 2836-2?

Thank you very much!

Bob
    Bob, I went back and forth on the size issue because I like wearing around a 40mm watch. I decided on the 365 because the style seems to be "understated"(best word I can think of). Your wrist is slightly larger (I have 6 1/2" wrist) so you might could pull off the 390 easier but I'll let some of these guys with 7" wrists chime in.

I ordered a brown napa strap from the antea ks just to have an option to change straps and at around $25 you might as well try having both. Then, if you do not like the deployment you can swap it out for buckle, or just buy a $5 buckle.

There are pics showing side by side of the cosc and non cosc(I think brainless has posted these) and there is a difference in the decoration.

I have a cheap winder and have stopped using it so I cannot help with that question.

Good luck with your choice, if you use the search function with antea or antea with small wrist, etc. you should find some more comments. Hope this helps
    autos: Hamilton navy pioneer(sold), stowa partitio, precista prs-22, stowa airman(sold), stowa antea 365, marathon sar(sold), vostok amphibian(sold), black mako(sold), seiko 5 military, sinn 556a

quartz: maurice lacroix, swiss army field, wenger swiss military 2912x, marathon tsar, 2 mudmen, gulfman, breitling colt

hand wind: 1963 seagull chrono(sold), stowa partitio, helbros

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello Bob, (great name by the way)
    I have wrist size, a hair or three under 7"- I'll wear "dress" watches 35-40, but 36-37 is my ideal size for proper dress style watch.
    I like deployant leather straps for dress watches. I've had no problems w/ mine.
    Stowa's are very precise, I saw no reason to pay for cosc.
    regards, Bob

Thanks so much for your response. See my response within your quoted message below.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre_S View Post
    Hi Bob!

My personal opinions as follows:

1. Size

I have a Nomos Tangente Datum which has an approximately 1 mm smaller diameter than the Antea 365. My Nomos wears very elegantly and it is true that the very thin bezel of this design (more or less the same as the Antea's) makes the watch look bigger than it's actual size would imply.

There is a certain aspect about the Antea 365 that makes me prefer it compared to the 390. I am referring to the ratio between its diameter and its height. With the height of the Antea with automatic movement being the same on both models, the relatively smaller diameter of the 365 gives the watch a more prominent presence and a much more appealing "balance of design elements" according to me. Besides that, the movement fills up the crystal case-back handsomely on the 365, whilst looking a little too small on the 390. All of these are of course very subjective perspectives that may vary from person to person.

Thanks for pointing out the subtle differences in proportion in terms of thickness to diameter and ratio of sapphire back diameter to the case. Now that I see what you mean, I concur, the 365 seems a bit visually more in harmony from a design perspective.

2. Leatherstrap Style

A deployment buckle gives the watch a more "classy" look and enhances the life-expectancy of your leather strap. To really top things off you should order the Antea with a genuine Crocodile/Alligator strap and of course a deployment buckle. These are by the way very easy to operate.

Thanks, I had not considered wear issue. You are right about leather and buckles. Jorge cannot ship the crocodile/alligator straps into the United States, they are protected species I believe.

3. Movement Option

The COSC-option is heavily decorated and looks better than the standard 2824. Check Stowa's website for pictures of the movement.

Thanks, by decoration do you mean polish or engraving? Can you elaborate or link me to the photos?

Lastly, the 2836-2 is basically a 2824-2 with an added day-display complication. I would reckon that your Stowa Antea would feel quite comfortable wobbling back and forth at the same rate as your Ball Engineer.

That's what I thought...

Best regards

Pierre

It's a Flieger but the movement is exactly the same one as in the Antea COSC.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=93374

Excellent choice on the 365! That watch is very short listed on my wish list!

Pierre

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by iim7v7im7 View Post
    Lastly, I have an Orbita watchwinder, what settings do 2824-2s like? Is both directions 650 turns per day OK, my Ball likes that and it has a 2836-2?...
    Orbita Databse says 650 (Go to orbita.ch for example, click on "support" and then "automatic watch database", scroll down to Stowa).

There are pics showing side by side of the cosc and non cosc(I think brainless has posted these) and there is a difference in the decoration.
    Yes, it was me and here is the comparison again:

The added value mainly is in the decoration. Accuracy is very well with all ETA movements used by Stowa.

Volker

Is the movement on the left, showing the machine grade movement or visa versa?

Quote Originally Posted by brainless View Post
    Yes, it was me and here is the comparison again:

The added value mainly is in the decoration. Accuracy is very well with all ETA movements used by Stowa.

Volker

Left: C.O.S.C. grade with perlage, Geneva stripes and bued screws

Right: Serial movement with blued screws

Volker

Thread Information