Stowa Antea KS, 365 or 390?

Thread: Stowa Antea KS, 365 or 390?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stowa Antea KS, 365 or 390?

Hi all,

Have decided to go with a Stowa Antea for my BIG wedding day at the end of the year but am on the fence about what size to pick! I have a 7” wrist with an athletic-ish build. I’m 6ft and 25yrs old. This will be my first “real” watch compared to a cheap Nixon ranger 40 and DW 40mm. (See photos)

If anyone has any pictures they could share of their antea on the wrist it would be greatly appreciated. I know there are a lot of threads with pics of anteas but would be great to see a few more.

I’d also like some advice on the pros and cons of which movement to choose in terms of the 365 and 390. There are three options on the website:
    Automatic 2824-2
    Handwind 2804-2
    Automatic 2892A2 flat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Stowa Antea KS, 365 or 390?

I would start with whether or not you want to hand wind your watch. That will focus your decision. As for automatics, my 2824 runs great, but the 2892 is regarded as a step up. It's up to you to decide if the benefits of that upgrade are worth it to you. Size is another matter. Your wrists could surely handle any of the watches you are considering. My only advice would be to consider a smaller, more discrete watch for a wedding, so maybe the KS or 365. The bride is the focus of attention; the watch should be pretty much invisible. Congrats on the wedding! And the Stowa. They're great watches.

The KS used to have a Peseux in it. Good to see that Stowa moved away from this movement with an upgrade. Any of these ETA movements will be just fine as they are all derivatives of each other.

When torn with which size watch to go for for your wrist, with three options where all would technically work, go with the middle option.
    ​WATCHES OF ADMIRATION
    A. LANGE & SOHNE HENTSCHEL HAMBURG DAMASKO
    UTS MUNCHEN Glashuette ORIGINAL LEHMANN
    NOMOS GLASHUETTE MORITZ GROSSMANN BENZINGER
    temPtion
    D. DORNBLUETH & SOHNE JUNGHANS

WATCHES CURRENTLY OUT OF THE SAFE IN ROTATION
    DRESS:
    Glashuette Original Senator Observer, JLC MUT
    DIVERS:
    UTS 2000m, Seiko SKX009J
    PILOTS/MILITARY:
    Damasko DS30, Laco Paderborn, Archimede A Dial Flieger, Hamilton Field Khaki, Marathon General Purpose Mechanical,
    Citizen Avion Solar Chronograph
    SPORTS/RACING:
    Muhle 29er Big

24 watches & holding steady.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The 390 is going to wear almost identically to the DW on your wrist (1mm smaller case but more prominent lugs). It looks like it fits you perfectly fine as a daily watch. That said, there's nothing wrong with going smaller for a more classic proportion, but you can pull of the larger watch no problem without it looking too big. I think you have to ask yourself what you personally feel more comfortable in - I know many prefer smaller watches, but I personally feel just as uncomfortable with the "daintiness" of small watches as I do with the ridiculous hockey-puck sized watches.

I think a 390 with a 2892-A2 is a great option - good diameter for wedding AND everyday wear for a guy yours size, thin profile will look good with a suit, and at least on paper the best quality of the available movements.

Quote Originally Posted by CM HUNTER View Post
    The KS used to have a Peseux in it. Good to see that Stowa moved away from this movement with an upgrade. Any of these ETA movements will be just fine as they are all derivatives of each other.

When torn with which size watch to go for for your wrist, with three options where all would technically work, go with the middle option.
    They have not. The 2892 can replace the 2824 in the Abtea 365/390.

Quote Originally Posted by Fikk View Post
    They have not. The 2892 can replace the 2824 in the Abtea 365/390.
    Ah that's right. Of course the 2804 option would be too large for the KS case. But, it should at least make it easier for the op to have to choose between two models instead of three.
    Last edited by CM HUNTER; August 11th, 2018 at 05:14.
    ​WATCHES OF ADMIRATION
    A. LANGE & SOHNE HENTSCHEL HAMBURG DAMASKO
    UTS MUNCHEN Glashuette ORIGINAL LEHMANN
    NOMOS GLASHUETTE MORITZ GROSSMANN BENZINGER
    temPtion
    D. DORNBLUETH & SOHNE JUNGHANS

WATCHES CURRENTLY OUT OF THE SAFE IN ROTATION
    DRESS:
    Glashuette Original Senator Observer, JLC MUT
    DIVERS:
    UTS 2000m, Seiko SKX009J
    PILOTS/MILITARY:
    Damasko DS30, Laco Paderborn, Archimede A Dial Flieger, Hamilton Field Khaki, Marathon General Purpose Mechanical,
    Citizen Avion Solar Chronograph
    SPORTS/RACING:
    Muhle 29er Big

24 watches & holding steady.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CM HUNTER View Post
    Ah that's right. Of course the 2804 option would be too large for the KS case. But, it should at least make it easier for the op to have to choose between two models instead of three.
    The 2804 does not feature a small second, only center second, so it wouldn‘t be a KS = „Kleine Sekunde“ = small second anymore.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Depends on what you want. One is more casual than the other!

Thanks for your input everyone. I have been doing a bit of research and have discovered that there is not a lot of difference in terms of quality between TOP grade 2824 and 2892, but correct me if I am wrong.

Gotta love Stowas customer service though. They were nice enough to inform me that they use both TOP grade 2824 and 2892 in their watches. Also with regard to the 2804 it is an elaboré grade with a TOP finish. They also gave me some photos to go off.

There is something about that 2824 that I really like, maybe it’s that blue screw in the middle hah. And the manual wind movement is stunning too. Not sure why but I’m a bit put off by the 2892-a2.

In terms of thickness of the movement I’m not too worried that the 2892 is 1mm thinner than the 2824.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
    Logan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Get the 390, it will be a better sized watch for you.

As for movements... Skip the handwinder, automatic is more convenient and practical.

However, you will want to wind the movement every now and then.
    2824-2 ETA movements are often said to be pretty bad at handling hand-winding; something about the materials and gear profiles in some of the gears used in the winding mechanism isn't great; if you end up winding the watch a lot, 2824-2 are not good choices.

2892 is the better movement, period. Thinner construction, newer design, no reported handwinding issues... If you have a chance to get it, get it. Note how the center hole of the rotating weight is wider on the 2892 compared to the smaller opening in 2824. This means that 2892's rotor will have lower shear/break forces acting on the center shaft/screw and the bearings. Might translate to more longevity.

In photos, the difference isonly in photo lighting; all three movements have exact same finishing on the plates, same blue tone to screws. Only thing different are the rotors (Stowa does put a great rotor on their 2824s.)
    NTH Santa Cruz
    Casio Oceanus T200

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast