Stowa or Archimede?

Thread: Stowa or Archimede?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stowa or Archimede?

I just got an email from Stowa indicating that there will be an additional delay on my Airman (the third one so far). I am seriously thinking of cancelling the order and getting an Archimede instead. They are both very similar design and use the same movement. The Archimede is also cheaper and from what I can tell from the website photos, the quality is very close to the Stowa. I have never owned either brand and wanted to know if anyone owns both and how they compare in quality, fit ant finish, etc. Photos would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Re: Stowa or Archimede?

I think, you have already made up your mind: Buy that Archimede and forget about Stowa - at least you can save some dollars

Volker

Here is a good thread to start with
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...towa+archimede

I will continue to wait.
    autos: Hamilton navy pioneer(sold), stowa partitio, precista prs-22, stowa airman(sold), stowa antea 365, marathon sar(sold), vostok amphibian(sold), black mako(sold), seiko 5 military, sinn 556a

quartz: maurice lacroix, swiss army field, wenger swiss military 2912x, marathon tsar, 2 mudmen, gulfman, breitling colt

hand wind: 1963 seagull chrono(sold), stowa partitio, helbros

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Stowa all the way. No contest, IMHO. Not a slam on Archimede, just great endorsement for Stowa.
    Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

Thanks for the link it should be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 336gabriel View Post
    Iwhat I can tell from the website photos, the quality is very close to the Stowa
    So you trust in website photos
    (Trust in the search function of this forum.....)

I used to have a Pilot M, the smaller 39mm version. There were a few things I didn't like with it. It was 18s./day fast, the strap was rather poor quality, the lume on the hands looked a bit too thin and uneven, the date window ate the top of number 5, the finish of the movement was very basic, the numbers of the date looked very different from those on the dial. I first thought some of these faults could be overlooked, others could be fixed but I finally found I didn't like the watch enough to take the trouble and make the expense.
    I'm still waiting for my Airman but from the other Stowas I have, I'm pretty confident that when I finally receive it, I will find it perfect, without any of those little issues that spoilt the Archimede for me.
    Personnally, I'd recommend sticking with your first choice. You'll forget all about the waiting once you get the watch.

stuffler,mike

I just got an email from Stowa indicating that there will be an additional delay on my Airman (the third one so far). I am seriously thinking of cancelling the order and getting an Archimede instead. They are both very similar design and use the same movement. The Archimede is also cheaper and from what I can tell from the website photos, the quality is very close to the Stowa. I have never owned either brand and wanted to know if anyone owns both and how they compare in quality, fit ant finish, etc. Photos would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    If you feel the need to cancel you will make another guy very happy to climb up on the waiting list. I own both the Archimede Pilot and the Stowa Flieger. Not on par.

Picture Re: Stowa or Archimede?

Thanks,
    If patience has gotten the best of you and you refuse to wait to receive a new watch, perhaps pick up an Archimede 42mm while waitng for the Stowa Airman. The watches are of different price-points and both the best value at those price-points.

Stowa's worth the wait, and the ARCHIMEDE is worth picking up right away.

I wear the 42mm ARCHIMEDE and the Airman, not at the same time, of course. Deciding between them was a waste of time, so I ended up acquiring them both.

The below link will provide you with plenty of confusion, exactly what you need at this early stage of your discovery.

Get the ARCHIMEDE and be happy, get an Airman and be a bit happier. How will your wallet feel about each one?

Both companies offer superlative customer service, both watches are excellent values at each their own price-points.

What are YOUR priorities in owning/buying a watch, any watch?

1. Price
    2. Lume
    3. Casework and type style of case (brush vs blasted)
    4. Option for a COSC
    5. Value
    6. Flat crystal for the dial or slightly domed
    7. Readability
    8. The role your current situation will play out relative to your wallet
    9. History behind the watch company?

Keep looking around, use the search function to find ARCHIMEDE as well as Stowa - there are volumes to read on each timepiece and images galore.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...towa+archimede

Glen

I've seen both in the "steel" & went w/ Stowa...IMHO better fit & finish.

Last edited by Dr. Robert; March 21st, 2009 at 19:57. Reason: add

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information