Stowa Chrono 1938 "Real World" Size?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By stuffler,mike
  • 1 Post By obsidian
  • 3 Post By Nessun Dorma

Thread: Stowa Chrono 1938 "Real World" Size?

Stowa Chrono 1938 "Real World" Size?

I love the simple, vintage style of the Chrono 1938. My question is about its size.

At 41mm, it is on the larger side, but within normal size parameters for me despite my small-ish (6.75") wrist. Similarly, its 50mm lug-to-lug is big but not outlandish. However, in the wrist photos I have seen on-line, the watch looks HUGE. Can any owners confirm whether this watch, perhaps given the absence of any bezel, wears larger than its 41mm size would suggest? Thanks.
    Aevig Balaur SE / Aevig Corvid / Geckota C-01 / Halios Seaforth III / Heuer Monza / Heuer Calibre 18 Chrono / Jungans Meister Chronoscope / Maurice Lacroix Pontos S Diver /
    Orient Ray II / Oris Classic Chrono / Oris Big Crown Chrono / Poljot Strela Chrono / Tissot 150th Anniversary Automatic

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Stowa Chrono 1938 "Real World" Size?

It wears large, no doubt. 41mm isn‘t that worse, almost 14mm in height however is striking.
    sefrcoko likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

New York City: "The city that never sleeps". If it got some sleep, it wouldn't look so crappy!

I have tried it on. My wrist is about 6.25" and I felt it was visually too large, though the lug to lug fit.
    If your wrist is 6.75" it will look large, but not over large.
    The problem in wrist photos is the thickness (Valjoux 775X movements are fat pigs), which can cause a perspective problem with a thick case; that is, a closeup of the watch shot straight on will put the dial significantly closer to the camera lens than the wrist-- causing it to look magnified.
    sefrcoko likes this.
    The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by obsidian View Post
    I have tried it on. My wrist is about 6.25" and I felt it was visually too large, though the lug to lug fit.
    If your wrist is 6.75" it will look large, but not over large.
    The problem in wrist photos is the thickness (Valjoux 775X movements are fat pigs), which can cause a perspective problem with a thick case; that is, a closeup of the watch shot straight on will put the dial significantly closer to the camera lens than the wrist-- causing it to look magnified.
    This makes sense, thanks. I may look elsewhere for now. I'm sure there are other similarly-styled watches that offer a better size profile.
    Aevig Balaur SE / Aevig Corvid / Geckota C-01 / Halios Seaforth III / Heuer Monza / Heuer Calibre 18 Chrono / Jungans Meister Chronoscope / Maurice Lacroix Pontos S Diver /
    Orient Ray II / Oris Classic Chrono / Oris Big Crown Chrono / Poljot Strela Chrono / Tissot 150th Anniversary Automatic

Just picked up a Stowa 1938 from a fellow member. My wrist is 7" and flat, not round and the watch size is not over powering. My Tag Heuer Carrera CV2011 is taller @ 16mm and it looks fine, not out of porportion. The same goes for the Stowa. I think if I had a smaller wrist I'd consider other options. But one has to remember a chronograph is in essence two watches in one so they tend to be thicker than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    This makes sense, thanks. I may look elsewhere for now. I'm sure there are other similarly-styled watches that offer a better size profile.
    I have this watch and it fits just fine on my 7" wrist. I doubt there are too many "other similarly-styled watches " out there, as this Stowa is quite unique. I would not hesitate to buy this watch again.

Name:  IMG_0008.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  237.9 KB
    customlegend, wkw and iceman767 like this.

Thread Information