Stowa Deployment Buckle?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Stowa Deployment Buckle?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stowa Deployment Buckle?

I love my new Klassik 6498 90th... But the far side of the beautiful strap tends to pull the watch too much to the outside side of my wrist. (Hope that makes sense). I’m thinking the deployment buckle may allow me to more customize the fit. I’d love to see some pics of this Watch that are fitted with this buckle. Bring em. Thanks! PS... it’s an incredible timepiece.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hidden830726 likes this.

Re: Stowa Deployment Buckle?

I have the Stowa deployant buckle on my Antea 355. While it's a totally different watch in size and design I still thought I'd give you my two cents... I am a big fan of all things Stowa including their straps but the one exception is the deployant buckle. It looks great but feels a little flimsy. More importantly, it does not feel good on the wrist. It is thick and bulky and pushes the strap away from my wrist a bit. I had to remove it after just one day. It might work better on a wrist of different shape and size but this was my experience with it.
    Alpina Startimer Pilot Big Date, Citizen Nighthawk, Hamilton Khaki Navy Pioneer Auto, Hamilton Pan Europ, Junghans Meister Pilot Chronoscope, Oris Big Crown Pointer Date, Oris Big Crown ProPilot, Seiko SNDA57, TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 5

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

I have a lot of Stowa and Schauer deployant clasps in my drawer. felt uncomfortable with, too mich height, always went for the pin buckle.

Never ever would combine whatever deplyant with a Flieger strap.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Agree with the above opinions.

Ordered a deployant with my stowa strap last year - wore it for 2 days and took it off. The double open style just didn't work with the thickness of the stowa strap and it was quite uncomfortable up against the wrist. It's quite curved, much more so than the curvature of my wrist.

The buckle itself also does not feel very solid.
    Speedy hesalite + SKX007

I haven't tried the Stowa deployment clasp, but I have the Hadley-Roma deployment model on my Marine Original. The only reason I don't mind it is because the strap itself tapers from 22mm down to 16mm. I just can't seem to get comfortable with a deployment clasp wider than that. Even so, I think it works on the MO only because the size and heft of the watch balances the extra bulk of the deployment. I tried the very same clasp on my Hamilton Khaki King with a 20mm strap tapering to 16mm, and took it off after two days of discomfort.

I just received the Stowa deployment clasp and tried to install it. First off, I ordered 18mm for my Antea 365 not considering that it tapered and I needed a 16mm. So it's too big. I thought I'd try it anyways and ran into more issues.

The strap I have is too thick to fit into the clasp (loop?) easily. The clasp has a screw that comes off to put back on in the hole in the strap normally used for the tang. The screw screws into a column that sticks out 3mm or so. You have to feed your strap between the screw column the other side of the whole and only pretty thin straps will go without scratching the leather. Second, the screw column should fit into one of the holes and the wholes in my leather watch bands are much smaller than the screw column. So, even though I could get my shell cordovian band in, the wholes were too small, and I don't want to bore out the wholes to get it to work. I gave up on the clasp.

Stowa Deployment Buckle?

I’m actually using the Stowa deployant on a Nomos Shell Cordovan today. I would agree that thinner straps work better, but I managed to squeeze the strap over the post you mention, but I get your point—I had to very carefully lift the the strap over the post as I pulled the strap through to avoid scratching it.

And yes, the holes had to be stretched a bit to fit over the post.

It’s not the best deployant, but it’s okay, and it was reasonably priced. Now that it’s fitted to my strap, it’s a keeper.

P.S. Most deployant buckles, even Omega’s, work optimally on a thinner strap.
    Last edited by Zinzan; July 12th, 2018 at 00:47.

Quote Originally Posted by P. Ortiz View Post
    I haven't tried the Stowa deployment clasp, but I have the Hadley-Roma deployment model on my Marine Original. The only reason I don't mind it is because the strap itself tapers from 22mm down to 16mm. I just can't seem to get comfortable with a deployment clasp wider than that. Even so, I think it works on the MO only because the size and heft of the watch balances the extra bulk of the deployment. I tried the very same clasp on my Hamilton Khaki King with a 20mm strap tapering to 16mm, and took it off after two days of discomfort.
    I couldn't believe I was reading this because it is almost identical to my experience. I have a Hadley-Roma deployment clasp on my Marine Original with the 22mm tapering to 16mm, and it wears just fine. I also have a Hamilton Khaki King on which I hated the deployment. The only difference is that I had a custom strap with no taper...just 20mm from lugs to buckle. I ended up putting on a regular strap with a normal clasp. I never thought that it might be the weight of the watch. All I remember is that it was very uncomfortable.

I’m confused—you’re siting your previous post and saying it’s exactly the same experience you had? :-?

Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    I’m confused—you’re siting your previous post and saying it’s exactly the same experience you had? :-?
    Busted. Don't I feel foolish! I never looked at the name of the original author...only read the text. No wonder the experience was similar. I forgot I'd written that back in March. It did however, jog my memory: I tried the deployment clasp on the Khaki King with a couple of straps...first a custom one that was 20mm throughout. Next, I tried it on a tapered 20/16 Bison strap. Neither felt right so I went back to the regular clasp. For what it's worth, I still wear the Marine Original on the deployment. Kudos to you for your keen awareness. T'was better than mine.
    Zinzan likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information