stowa far east components!?

Thread: stowa far east components!?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

stowa far east components!?

I have just been reading the company message on stowas online shop, and was suprised to read jorg state that some parts for his watches are produced in the far east,which suprised me somewhat, not that it is real gripe but i thought stowas were a german/swiss combination!

Re: stowa far east components!?

Quote Originally Posted by baggy View Post
    I have just been reading the company message on stowas online shop, and was suprised to read jorg state that some parts for his watches are produced in the far east,which suprised me somewhat, not that it is real gripe but i thought stowas were a german/swiss combination!
    this has been discussed on this forum before. no big surprise and no big deal for me. i am quite certain that other watch companies utilize far east parts and labor as well. it is my understanding that stowa cases come raw from the far east and is finished in germany?
    Last edited by usc1; July 9th, 2009 at 01:30.
    "It is the hour of pearl—the interval between day and night when time stops and examines itself."
    -j. steinbeck

I can guarantee you that many of the major Swiss/German manufacturers use components from outside Switzerland/Germany as only 50%+ of the value added needs to be created in Switzerland for a watch to be considered "Swiss Made".

At least Joerg is upfront in his answer about the location of his components; I'm sure that other manufacturers would not be so honest (and their % of value added in Europe may be much less than 80%).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
    this has been discussed on this forum before. no big surprise and no big deal for me. i am quite certain that other watch companies utilize far east parts and labor as well. it is my understanding that stowa cases come raw from the far east and is finished in germany?
    My understanding, before I posted, was that Stowa cases are made by Fricker, a German company. Then I found the "Where are Stowa Cases Made" thread, and now I wonder.
    Cheers,
    --Rob

the Prodiver cases and bracelets are made by Fricker
    Check out my free electonic music at:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=193802

Visit www.myspace.com/taiwanscoliosis for information about scoliosis.

Fair point, and i was,nt trying to put a downer on stowa at all, in fact a black m/o will adorn my wrist in the not too distant future for sure, but its an interesting topic.

We live in a global economy.
    It is of no importance, surely, where components come from as long as they meet the quality required by Jorg ?

I now recall my last post on this topic - where does one draw the line? If a case is made by Fricker, where does the steel come from? If the steel is made in Germany, where do the raw materials come from?

The only important thing is to have faith in Stowa, it is the brand you buy into - not where the metal in one of the cogs comes from.
    Antea Black (Date - Milanaise Bracelet)
    Antea Creme COSC (No Date - Blued Hands)
    Antea KS
    Black Forest Flieger LE
    Flieger B-Uhr
    Flieger 2801 LE

Marine 2801 HW
    Marine Original
    Chrono 1938 Black
    Seatime Blue (ProDiver Bezel)
    Seatime WUS LE
    70's Quartz,
    Vintage PUW

I trust that Jorg and Stowa are very hands on when it comes to quality. Stowa can produce high quality at afforable prices, I am sure most companies utilize asia for cost reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by langtoftlad View Post
    It is of no importance, surely, where components come from as long as they meet the quality required by Jorg ?
    It absolutely is. How many people buy into brands and ideas? Why bother tout and stamp and brand that your product is german, swiss, japanese, or italian? (not speaking specifically to stowa here). In the end, what good is a name and a history, then, if all that matters is quality - manufacturing tolerances / durability / functionality. If quality is all that matters there are tons better values elsewhere

Interesting. But I just can't find where exactly the origin of components is indicated.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information