Stowa Fleiger caseback

Thread: Stowa Fleiger caseback

Stowa Fleiger caseback

Hi

I'm looking to buy a traditional fleiger watch which I intend to use as a daily wearer. It will have a fairly tough life in a military setting (which is what they were designed for, after all). All my research points towards the Stowa fleiger - build quality, heritage, customer service etc.

My only concern with the Stowa model is the caseback. Rather than a screw-in caseback it appears to be a flat caseback held to the main body of the case with 6 small screws. Is my assessment accurate or does the caseback screw in to the case as well?

Is anyone in a position to describe the engineering of the caseback and comment on the robustness of the sealed unit? The images I have seen of the caseback on this and other forums give the impression of a weakness in the integrity of the case. Thank you in anticipation.

Re: Stowa Fleiger caseback

Well, you know your business and what you want, but I wouldn't consider a Stowa Flieger a good choice for a rough and tumble life in the military. It's not a screw down back. Anyway, it would be difficult to screw down the back and then have the holes line up for the (at that point) redundant screws. I think the 5atm water resistance rating should say something about the robustness of the sealed unit (i.e.: not very robust if you're looking for a tough 'tool-like' watch that could at some point get wet or muddy or whatever). For similar 'pilot' styled watches with more robustness, you could take a look at Sinn or Damasko (hardened cases, greater water resistance).
    Labitur occulte fallitque volatilis aetas, et nihil est annis velocius. Ovid Met. 10.519-20.

Thanks Statius for clearing up the screw down - screw in caseback question. I want something a little different, more traditional to wear rather than the usual G shock/Seiko diver option which I have enjoyed using in the past. I treat all my watches as tools and expect them to take a few knocks. 5 atm? It should be up to taking a submersion or two surely! I took my old Speedmaster Pro, diving (3atm) a couple of times without any dramas. The Stowa fleiger looks tough and claims a military heritage, but can it cope with challenging and adverse environments? Or is it just a decorative piece?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I thought Speedmasters were 5bar - but anyway, 3 or 5, they're not designed for diving - consider yourself lucky if you got away with it.
    Gentle submersion is one thing, moving through water is another and increases the effective pressure even at low depths...

More pedantically, Stowa Fliegers claim an Airforce heritage, not a military one.
    The requirement was for accuracy rather ruggedness and certainly not for underwater activity (unless you are a p!ss poor pilot!)

Apart from maybe their "Sport" range - Stowa make no claims that their product are for anything but everyday wear.
    I think most Stowa purchasers would recoil in horror at the suggestion of using their prized acquisition as a "beater".
    Antea Black (Date - Milanaise Bracelet)
    Antea Creme COSC (No Date - Blued Hands)
    Antea KS
    Black Forest Flieger LE
    Flieger B-Uhr
    Flieger 2801 LE

Marine 2801 HW
    Marine Original
    Chrono 1938 Black
    Seatime Blue (ProDiver Bezel)
    Seatime WUS LE
    70's Quartz,
    Vintage PUW

Quote Originally Posted by baconandeggs View Post
    Thanks Statius for clearing up the screw down - screw in caseback question. I want something a little different, more traditional to wear rather than the usual G shock/Seiko diver option which I have enjoyed using in the past. I treat all my watches as tools and expect them to take a few knocks. 5 atm? It should be up to taking a submersion or two surely! I took my old Speedmaster Pro, diving (3atm) a couple of times without any dramas. The Stowa fleiger looks tough and claims a military heritage, but can it cope with challenging and adverse environments? Or is it just a decorative piece?
    I am by no means an expert on this, but I think a point to be made here is that although Stowa Fliegers indeed claim a military heritage, they are not military grade. I would not recommend wearing them in an environment where they take knocks on a regular basis. Not because they are easily damaged, but because there are tougher, purpose-built watches out there for that.

The crown isn't screw down either. I know at least one person on this forum swims with their Stowa Flieger and hasn't had a problem, so you could too (though I'd wager most would not swim with it). If you want an automatic that's tough and durable, I'd still say Damasko or Sinn. They make hardened steel cases, screw down crowns, screw down case backs, good water resistance (200m on some Sinns, 100 on the Damaskos, I think). I think they may both use Viton seals, which are good for chlorine water and other chemicals (could be wrong on that). They both have good lume, and clear, readable, uncluttered dials. I can't really comment on the beat-up-ability of the Stowas, though. I'm interested to see what others say, though.\

I have a Sinn 856 and love it. Had a Stowa Flieger and loved it (stupidly flipped it). Here's damasko's site: http://damaskousa.com/ All of these watches are German made goodness!
    Last edited by Statius; June 16th, 2011 at 22:34.
    Labitur occulte fallitque volatilis aetas, et nihil est annis velocius. Ovid Met. 10.519-20.

Banned

I have a Stowa Ikarus and Sinn 856s on order right now. If I have to pick one for you, I would take later rather than former.

I would suggest you to take a look at Sinn 656. In more or less the same price range you will get more sturdy and tough watch, while still keeping it different than the G Shocks and Seikos. If you want to spend a bit more, get 856 which will get you extra benefit of tegimented case and 2nd timezone function. Pics from net. Both are available in strap or bracelet.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baconandeggs View Post

I'm looking to buy a traditional fleiger watch which I intend to use as a daily wearer. It will have a fairly tough life in a military setting (which is what they were designed for, after all). All my research points towards the Stowa fleiger - build quality, heritage, customer service etc.
    Imho the Stowa Flieger has not been designed for a military setting. The Stowa Flieger is made in the tradition of those B-Uhren of WW II. Speaking of an airforce heritage would be more correct.

If robustness is of importance to you and if you need a tool watch you should look out for another watch. Damasko (DA 46) and Sinn come to my mind. The Prodiver on rubber strap might be the better option....

Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thread Information