Stowa Flieger Baumuster B vs. Glashutte Original Navigator - a Review.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By grepmat
  • 1 Post By stuffler,mike

Thread: Stowa Flieger Baumuster B vs. Glashutte Original Navigator - a Review.

Stowa Flieger Baumuster B vs. Glashutte Original Navigator - a Review.

Yesterday I had a chance to compare my Stowa Flieger Baumuster B (COSC) side-by-side against a Glashütte Original Navigator Automatic, which is a watch in the same style. Price-wise, they are apples and oranges, but I thought some readers would be interested in my comments.

The location was an extremely high-end store, at which the G.O. was probably one of the least-expensive watches. The very nice and sharp sales-lady who showed me the watch was quite taken aback by the Stowa. It seems she had not seen any other watch in the B-dial style. She pronounced them essentially “identical”, at least from a distance. Indeed, at first blush, they were. She also hadn’t heard of Stowa. I explained a little bit of history behind the watches. She very tentatively and respectfully asked what I paid for the Stowa and where I got it (roughly $1k U.S., and direct-order, of course). The G.O., in stainless steel, lists at roughly 7 times as much. I think she was rather amazed by the Stowa.

During my time examining the watches, many differences became apparent. From the outside: The G.O. is significantly bigger and thicker, at 44mm vs. 40mm in diameter, and ~14mm vs. ~10-mm in thickness. It prominently displays G.O.’s logo and city on its face, plus a tiny Made in Germany beneath the dial, while the Stowa is completely “sterile”, lacking even “Made in Germany”. The G.O.'s case is brushed steel as well as wearing a polished band, and was more distinctive. The crown is conventional (though with a hint of a diamond shape at its base), vs. Stowa’s “onion” (I prefer the Stowa’s). The second hand is blued, whereas the Stowa’s is black. The color of the blued hands were essentially identical.

The layout of the B-dial showed some very subtle differences (if one ignores the labeling on the G.O.). The G.O. had no ring around the outer markers. The hour hand was slightly more elongated, and it projected a little further into the inner ring, vs. the Stowa’s rather stubby hand. Although subtle, I found the G.O.'s to be just a bit better proportioned. Otherwise, the shape of the hands were the same, except that I was disappointed to see G.O.’s opposing G’s at the end of the second hand’s counterweight (G.O. seems to like using two G’s, facing away from each other, as an alternate logo) – a minor but offensive slap at the historical face, in my opinion. The G.O. lacked the clever and artistic 60-second eclipse, wherein the Stowa's second hand's counterweight passes in front of the hour hand.

The crystal of the G.O. is anti-reflective, which gave the dial a richer look - I liked this a lot. I was amused to see that the G.O. also had lume on every other minute notation, just like the Stowa (all of the lumed features were the same). However, I also noted that the Stowa’s lumed and un-lumed features were significantly more uniform in both color and texture. The strap was a very nice smooth leather, with a simple stitch. The buckle also contained mounted G’s, which I personally did not care for.

Then, turning the watch around, one sees the biggest difference of all: The G.O. has an in-house movement. It’s big and gorgeous. The watch has a “fly-back” feature that resets the seconds hand to zero. The winder has a 21 ct. gold weight at its periphery as well as being skeletonized with the darned-blingy GG’s again. There’s a swans-neck adjuster, the balance has weighted screws, and the movement is nicely decorated. The face of the movement is a pseudo 3/4 plate, in that it’s actually two pieces broken by an arc. I thought that a full 3/4 plate would have been more in line with its Glashütte origins, but it was still very unique compared to the usual Swiss movement in the Stowa.

In passing, the lady was nice enough to show me a G.O. Senator Navigator Perpetual Calendar in rose gold. This is in the Flieger A-dial style, but with day, date, month, moon-phase and leap-year indicators. Yes, it’s a perpetual-calendar watch including accounting for leap-years. Too fussy for me, and imagine keeping it wound for four years, and then missing that leap-year adjustment! But wow, that’s a watch!

I wanted to say that the Stowa was just as good, but in the end there was no way to do that. The Stowa’s dial is truer to history, but over-all the G.O. was simply a much more spectacular and desireable watch. Whether it’s worth the order of magnitude more money is debatable, but I did see its value. On the other hand, the Stowa acquitted itself well as an awesome watch in its own right, and an even more awesome value.

With a small sigh, I put my “humble” but still-proud Stowa back on my wrist, and bid the expensive world of high-end watches goodbye (for now...).

Thank you for reading.

Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by grepmat; March 11th, 2011 at 03:15.
    Jonnyt5050, stars and samanator like this.

Roy

Re: Stowa Flieger Baumuster B vs. Glashutte Original Navigator - a Review.

The GO sparked my interest for the B dial and Stowa launch it just at the right time. However, Stowa is not in the same league/market share as GO even though both owns the history of pilot watches.

thx for a very much needed comparison grepmat! I have been eyeing the GO for a long time, was never sure whether to bust the bank on it or just go for a Laco, Steinhart etc. Great food for thought:)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Does the GO actually have a true in house movement? I can't tell from their website, and being a Swatch company and a resurrected brand (the GO today is not the GO of WWII known only as G then, I think), I thought they depended a lot on technology from sister units. Thus, not sure this is actually a true in house movement. But I very well could be wrong.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pamountainbiker View Post
    Does the GO actually have a true in house movement? I can't tell from their website, and being a Swatch company and a resurrected brand (the GO today is not the GO of WWII known only as G then, I think), I thought they depended a lot on technology from sister units. Thus, not sure this is actually a true in house movement. But I very well could be wrong.
    Yes you are wrong. Completely wrong.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Mike,

Thanks for the response. Honestly, I was a little taken aback by your six word post. I understand that I am wrong. Completely, dead wrong, in fact, that was made absolutely clear. I believe you missed the larger point of the message which is simply that GO is owned by Swatch and that many of the Swatch companies share technology, knowledge, and manufacturing know-how. I wonder if any of the larger parent company's intellectual property made its way in GO's caliber 100. That's all.

To post back to my own thread, and not to beat a dead horse, as Mike noted GO does use in-house movements, evidently, they also use modular movements in [some of] their chronographs, or at least they did. So that clears up my confusion. GO do make some incredible watches, thanks for a great review!

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pamountainbiker View Post
    To post back to my own thread, and not to beat a dead horse, as Mike noted GO does use in-house movements, evidently, they also use modular movements in [some of] their chronographs, or at least they did. So that clears up my confusion. GO do make some incredible watches, thanks for a great review!
    Glashütte Original - under CEO Pfeifer - started with the in-house made GUB 10-30 (auto), 12-50 hw) and GUB 10-60 (auto + module), later came the GO 39, 98% inhouse). Since then all are made in-house with a vertical range of manufacture of + 90%.
    Nishant likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

It seems to me that we are all here because of a common interest,watches! Stowa watches particularly. With that being said, I would like to think that we all have something to learn about watches, some more than others. I myself have a great deal to learn being new to all this, but there is something I do know and would like to share. It is one thing to know everything and its another in how you convey your thoughts to others. We are all here to share what we know or do not, hoping to learn along the way. If I make a mistake by all means let me know,but please keep it respectful and I assure you I in turn will do the same.

I found the STOWA FLIEGER BAUMUSTER B vs GLASHUTTE ORIGINAL NAVIGATOR REVIEW to be very interesting and informative, thanks! Because of this review I will have to purchase a Stowa Flieger B in the near future. I also found the replies to be equally informative as well. So many watches, so little cash!!!

Love the review! I've had and sold my Stowa's....reading this review makes me want to get another one!

Cheers!
    Tempus Fugit.....

Thread Information