WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

STOWA Flieger - Customization Question

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  watchmego3000 
#1 ·
I will be placing an order for a no logo Flieger Classic, but am a bit torn on the blued hands of this watch. I am strongly leaning towards ordering this watch with black hands instead.

Looking for the forum's opinion on if:

1) This is blasphemous...pilots watches historically have blued hands, it's a signature mark, and a sign of craftsmanship, etc...

2) The actual aesthetic impact of swapping out the blued hands, and whether it will detract from some of the appeal of the Stowa Flieger. I will admit there is something attractive about the very dark Navy, almost black look of the blued hands under certain light conditions (based on pictures I have seen).

Is anyone able to opine on the frequency/light conditions under which the hands look royal blue almost? This is a look that does not appeal to me personally.

Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
Ya, pretty much true.

Stowa is always synonym with blue hands and this is something that differentiate Stowa with equivalent brands like Laco and Archinmede.

If you do not want a blue hand, off course you can ask for a black hand, much like the Ikarus.

Laco off course is cheaper, with a standard movement and black hand, but its close back anyway, so i think its worth considering.

Overall, i think unless you really hate it (blue hands), else its always recomended to get the blue hand.

The blue hands look way better in real watch than in picture.

*Nearest for Laco is 42mm tho, Archimede is 39mm/42mm

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses so far.

I've already made my mind up to go with Stowa, just debating swapping the hands out (which Stowa have already told me is an option).

Do the hands look blue most of the time, or black most of the time in real life. Are they blue in natural sunlight vs black indoors?

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses so far.

I've already made my mind up to go with Stowa, just debating swapping the hands out (which Stowa have already told me is an option).

Do the hands look blue most of the time, or black most of the time in real life. Are they blue in natural sunlight vs black indoors?
With light, whether in door or outdoor, that look blue to me (photo direct from phone).

Just to make this clear, the hands is not all blue, blue is only on the outer side for flieger unlike the Marine hands

View attachment 7119354

#12 ·
The logo is very discreet with the light grey colour barley noticeable ( to me anyway ). The blue of the hands is really a dark navy. Will the black hands that you are going to order have the same lume? I am on my third change of strap. It came with black leather, I then put on a brown leather and I recently got the black rubber from them that now comes as standard on the classic sport. I have to say the rubber strap is one of the most comfortable straps I have ever worn and highly recommend it.

Attachments

#15 ·
Go with what you prefer. Sure, the blued hands are a signature of the STOWA Flieger and are what make the watch special to myself and many others, but all that matters is what makes the watch special to you. The black hands look great and you'll have a more unique piece. If you're on the fence, you may want to ask about purchasing a set of the blued hands on the side, so you have them in case you want to change the black hands out.

#17 · (Edited)
I had a beater flieger that had blue hands that were not thermally blued. They were always a bright blue and it wasn't my preference.

I found the Stowa to be much different though, and agree that the hands usually appear dark blue. Only at certain angles or light level do the hands appear bright.
That said, reading the original post I don't think you'd be upset with black hands. And MAY be unhappy with the blued hands. Good luck, it's a great watch! Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#19 ·
re: Mike Stuffler's 2801...when first considering a Stowa Flieger years ago, this model was always a favorite. One of the reasons I actually prefer black hands.

I'm going see if Stowa will allow me to purchase the black hands as an extra, and have them swapped into the watch. Then I'll have the spare blued hands in case I like them in person. Should be an easy enough job for any competent watchmaker to change them out later on.

Thanks everyone for weighing in, pics to come whenever it arrives! |>

#20 · (Edited)
re: Mike Stuffler's 2801...when first considering a Stowa Flieger years ago, this model was always a favorite. One of the reasons I actually prefer black hands.

I'm going see if Stowa will allow me to purchase the black hands as an extra, and have them swapped into the watch. Then I'll have the spare blued hands in case I like them in person. Should be an easy enough job for any competent watchmaker to change them out later on.

Thanks everyone for weighing in, pics to come whenever it arrives! |>
Should be the other way round, get them on black hands and get extra blue hand as extra. Edit: oops maybe thats what u meant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.