Stowa Flieger Klassik size
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Stowa Flieger Klassik size

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stowa Flieger Klassik size

Hi all, I really like the Stowa Flieger Klassik, but is there any reason why there isn't a larger version like a 42mm or 44mm? Personally I find 40mm to be a bit small for a pilot watch and a slightly larger one would fit nicer on my wrist.
    For me Stowa really hit the home run with the watch except the size

I don't like the sport version as the proportions aren't as nice as the Klassik.
    Last edited by kwang411; August 7th, 2016 at 08:14.
    logan2z and smuggled_sheep like this.

Re: Stowa Flieger Klassik size

To be fair, the 6498 is 41mm. I have a 7.25" wrist and wear it very well. I'm normally a 42-44mm guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. It does tend to wear larger than it's stated size. All dial and small bezel add to the optical illusion of being a bigger watch.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have had a change of heart when it comes to the 40mm flieger size.

I used to think 40mm was perfect for this watch but after buying three of them from Stowa and then flipping them I think 42mm would be better. The 41mm Stowa case is a wonderful size for the MO and I wear it often. I would be perfectly happy with the flieger in a 41mm case if the watch had a center seconds movement (and a fully lumed A dial) but it seems like 42mm is the sweet spot for a lot of folks. I realize Stowa makes a Klassic Sport 43mm case but it is the same dial and hands as the smaller flieger and doesn't seem to work for me, the bezel is a bit bulky to my thinking for a flieger.

I took a photo of these watches from the back because it shows the differences in the case sizes better (the empty case and the crystal reflections distorted the differences in the shot from the front). The watch on the left is a 41mm Stowa MO. The watch on the right is a 42mm Laco. I no longer have a Stowa flieger but the case in the middle is a 40mm Stowa flieger case without markings on the back (but with standard Stowa crown) that I picked up on eBay from a seller in Switzerland a few years ago. Note that the lugs on the 42mm Laco are roughly the same length as the 40mm Stowa lug length. The Laco, despite the bulkier case and odd straight lugs actually fits well and wears comfortably on my 7.25" wrist. I love the dark blasted finish on it and think it would look spectacular on the 41mm Stowa case. I have a couple of other watches besides the Laco with bead blasted finishes on them and I am a big fan of that type of finish.

Thank you all for the reply, and thank you Saxon007 for your photo size comparison. Personally I think Stowa's Klassik line offers the best case proportion due to the thin bezel, the sport and small second versions have slightly thicker bezel. Currently I'm looking at 3 brands for a Flieger type A: Stowa, Laco, and Steinhart. Price isn't an issue and all 3 brands offer something I like & dislike which is why it is so hard to decide for me. Movement/accuracy/decoration isn't an issue either since I don't mind closed back.

Stowa Klassik:
    The Good: My favorite dial layout and case design, and my favorite default strap.
    The Bad: A bit too small, 42/44mm would be perfect. Would prefer to have a diamond shaped crown over the onion crown, but isn't really a big deal.
    Name:  Flieger_Werk_2600.2.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  254.0 KB

Laco Memmingen (42mm):
    The Good: I like the sandblasted case color, which makes it slightly more scratch resistant. 42 and 45mm versions to choose from, size is perfect. Diamond crown.
    The Bad: Not a fan of the straight lugs, dial layout not *quite* as good as the Stowa.
    Name:  Laco-Westerland.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  191.9 KB

Steinhart Nav B Uhr 44mm Vintage Titan
    The Good: Titanium case, similar case design as Stowa. Very good price
    The Bad: Not heat treated blue hands, The dial font is a bit too squished for my liking, not really a fan of the faux vintage dial (Lume doesn't age like this anyway)
    Name:  Nav-B-Uhr-44mm-Vintage-Titan-A-Muster2.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  60.1 KB

Overall Stowa is my favorite design, and from photos it seems to fit the best on the wrist due to the more modern and sleek lugs. Too bad I don't have a retailer where I can try out for the size, otherwise I think the choice would be pretty easy.
    DutchMongolian likes this.

Just to update, I pulled the trigger on the Stowa Flieger Klassik, Type A no date no logo.

In the end I figured I prefer the perfect proportions and I'm willing to go with a smaller 40mm size (it's not THAT small anyway).
    My estimated ship date is Aug 16-19, is there no longer a one month plus wait for these watches?

Quote Originally Posted by kwang411 View Post
    Just to update, I pulled the trigger on the Stowa Flieger Klassik, Type A no date no logo.

In the end I figured I prefer the perfect proportions and I'm willing to go with a smaller 40mm size (it's not THAT small anyway).
    My estimated ship date is Aug 16-19, is there no longer a one month plus wait for these watches?
    No really long delays lately but Stowa is closed from August 1st to 15th and I don't know if it was taken into account in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fikk View Post
    No really long delays lately but Stowa is closed from August 1st to 15th and I don't know if it was taken into account in the shop.
    Thank you for your reply, hopefully there won't be too much delays.

I wonder what is the lug to lug "height" of the watch. Maybe you can share that with us once you receive your flieger.
    "I AM WATCHYMAN, AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE"

Quote Originally Posted by kwang411 View Post

Grats with your purchase. Post your wrist shot once you received then.

Ya Stowa is pretty quick these days. A bit of a bless and curse if you ask me. I kinda miss the day where waiting for 3-6 months is a norm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information