Stowa Flieger Second Hand
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Stowa Flieger Second Hand

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Stowa Flieger Second Hand

Hi, I'm new to this, so please be gentle!

I got a couple of months ago a Stowa Flieger, no logo 40mm. I love it in every way except for one thing - the second hand!

When I glance at the watch to check the time, my eye is often drawn to the second hand not the minute hand, and so I misread the time! This might be me being dumb, but it seems to me the second hand is very pronounced, both because it is very long, and also because it is the same very bright Luminox colour as the minute hand.

Obviously I could just get used to this, and move on with my life. That's probably the most sensible plan. But, I wondered about modifying the second hand to make it less similar to the minute hand. Either by trimming back the existing one by 5mm or so, or (more controversially) I thought replacing it with a shorter red or orange one might look really cool.

I would be interested in your views. Is this second hand issue something anyone has come across? Is modding the hand a terrible thing to do to a new watch?

Thanks!

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Stowa Flieger Second Hand

I wonder how it is possible to misread the time. The seconds hand is way smaller to the minute hand and way longer than the hour hand.

Trimming back ? Well, imho it will not help. A red laquered tip might help. But whatever you will decide, don‘t go for a shorter seconds hand. You will change the flieger DNA.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

LOVE the watch, HATE the seconds hand.

It is extremely easy to misread the time, btw. At a glance the longer seconds hand appears as it is the minutes hand. Of course staring at it solves the problem, but who wants to stare?

I’m not sure of the solution. A colored tip? A different color altogether?

I’ve only had mine for ~ a few weeks now and I might possibly get used to it, but it is difficult. When someone asks the time I usually just hold my wrist up. Not with this watch. Think of all the free advertising Stowa is missing out on

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This would absolutely kill a watch for me. If the movement is common, any independent watch maker should be able to order and install a replacement. The only relatively challenge might be to find a second hand that is the right length for the dial and matches the style of the watch.

I have no problem with it. The minute and hour hands could be a little bit more different (lengthwise), then again I am being abit nitpicky here. so no problem either

As said, any watchsmith will be able to change it for you. But I like this Stowa model as it is

Enviado desde mi H3113 mediante Tapatalk

Hi OP,

Yes legibility is an issue with this watch as far as I am concerned.

Take a look at the picture in this thread (at work and cannot upload pics)

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/sto...t-4784567.html

I mean whats the time here - quarter to six or quarter past?

Just wait until the second hand has moved on then you will be able to tell the time !
    bam49 likes this.
    Cheers

M

Current collection: Hamilton Khaki Mechanical H694190, Seiko "Turtle" SBDY015, Seiko Sarb 033, Citizen Diver NY0040-09e, VSA Alliance, Citizen "Ray Mears" BN0118-55E , Casio Edifice EF-503D-1A, Favre Leuba Vintage watch, Lorus field watch RXF41AX7, Pulsar field watch PS9045.
    Gone but not forgotten: Oris Big Crown Propilot, Seiko SKX009, Orient Star Classic, Citizen "Excalibur" BN0100-51E, Citizen NP4020-51A, Citizen BM8180-03E, Citizen BM6400-00e, VSA Officers day date
    Capture and release: Oris BC3, Hamilton Khaki Field, Timefactors Speedbird 3, Citizen World Timer CB0027-51E

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    I wonder how it is possible to misread the time. The seconds hand is way smaller to the minute hand and way longer than the hour hand.

The second hand is relatively thick and the overhang of the second hand obscures the minute hand every 60 seconds - admittedly for a second or so but still if thats when you are glancing.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; October 4th, 2018 at 14:23. Reason: Member did not properly quote
    Cheers

M

Current collection: Hamilton Khaki Mechanical H694190, Seiko "Turtle" SBDY015, Seiko Sarb 033, Citizen Diver NY0040-09e, VSA Alliance, Citizen "Ray Mears" BN0118-55E , Casio Edifice EF-503D-1A, Favre Leuba Vintage watch, Lorus field watch RXF41AX7, Pulsar field watch PS9045.
    Gone but not forgotten: Oris Big Crown Propilot, Seiko SKX009, Orient Star Classic, Citizen "Excalibur" BN0100-51E, Citizen NP4020-51A, Citizen BM8180-03E, Citizen BM6400-00e, VSA Officers day date
    Capture and release: Oris BC3, Hamilton Khaki Field, Timefactors Speedbird 3, Citizen World Timer CB0027-51E

That’s odd, I’ve never had this issue. Seconds hand is thinner, different geometrical shape AND is not blues on the edges. Even when they overlap I can clearly and easily see what the time is.

Maybe I’m just weird, but I find this watch superbly readable - moreso than any watch I have ever had.

I wouldn’t change the hand. Maybe the watch just doesn’t fit well with you. You can probably sell it for most of what you paid and get a different watch?

Nonsense but understandable.

Get used to it, muscle memory will help later on

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information