Stowa Flieger with or without date
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Stowa Flieger with or without date

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Stowa Flieger with or without date

It's happening. The Stowa flieger is going on my wrist. I just can't decide whether or not to get the date or no date version. I feel as if the no date version is more 'historically accurate' and I quite like that. However, all my other watches have at least a date complication and most have day/date, and I fear I wouldn't be able to enjoy the watch as much without it.

I'm looking for some perspective here, perhaps some experience with going from date to no date.

Thanks fellas :)

Re: Stowa Flieger with or without date

For me, definitely the Date complication. It is very useful to me in terms of functionality, and I don't mind the look, usually as long as the date wheel color matches the dial color (which I believe is the case with the Stowa Flieger).

I have the no date version. For me, it's great. Initially, I wasn't sure if I could live without the date function, but I haven't looked back. I like the clean, uninterrupted aesthetics. Plus, without the date, it's one less thing you have to set if it sits for a few days. Also, as you already mentioned, I like that it's more historically accurate. Best of luck in your decision. Either way, you will love the watch!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold36 View Post
    I like the clean, uninterrupted aesthetics.
    My thoughts as well.

Now that I think about it, I rarely find myself without my cellphone anyway. It's probably a matter of getting used to.

One of my pet peeves are the date wheel not matching the dial color as well :)

Banned

Unless Stowa has changed its practice, my understanding from past threads is that even on the non-date model the date wheel is still doing its thing under the dial, and the crown has the intermediate position for the date change. Even though I would prefer the non-date model, I find it a bit annoying that the date mechanism is still there. And Stowa is not the only company that does this (e.g., Junghans Max Bill Automatic, Limes Rallye Chronograph, etc.). So if the date is underneath the dial anyway, may as well get the date version. But like I said, maybe Stowa now modifies the movement and crown on its non-date Fliegers; I suppose you could email them about it. Of course, this probably won't bother most people anyway. I just find it a bit lazy, as the modification is so simple. I don't mean to knock Stowa in any way, as I love the brand and my Ikarus.
    Last edited by dhtjr; March 4th, 2016 at 23:38.

Buy what u like, visually. Date or no date is all depending on "you". From your word, you seems more prefer it without date, in fact no logo no date is the most popular version too (based on my observation, no data on this). So it wouldnt go wrong if u follow.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Historical relevance = no logo, no date + engraving on side.

PKC likes this.

No date looks the cleanest to me.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I'm a dateman and I really don't understand the "historically accurate" thing on a 40mm automatic watch, 2824-2 movement, Superluminova-coated dial/hands, to be bought from a fine EU factory in peace time by frequent and less-frequent Airbus and Boeing flyers.

The engraved numbers on the case - besides ruining a beautiful part of it - just add oddity to a modern, practical, automatic watch which has been improved a lot since its big grandfather died long time ago.

Maybe nobody needs logos in life but the date is probably the information everybody needs more from a wristwatch, even in the smartphone era.

If you already know the date, have the number 6 shown on the dial instead, it can be handy as well.

Just kidding

To each their own. Maybe I'm just a romantic and/or a sucker for marketing, but I think 50% or more of the aesthetic of a flieger is the heritage. Taken out of that context, the designs are bland (which was the entire point). I would never, for example, consider buying a flieger that was not manufactured by one of the five original brands. And even though I know that the current iteration of Stowa (the company) has almost nothing in common with the original, the fact that it honored those traditions is/was the main selling point of the brand, besides craftsmanship/value. This is also one reason that I do not and probably will not own a Stowa watch that is emblazoned with the new logo. For me, that was a mistake on their part.

If it was a daily wear watch then I could see wanting the date. But then for such a use I would not choose a flieger for the aforementioned reasons - that watch would not quite be "a flieger" in my way of looking at it. By way of analogy, it would be like building and displaying a plastic model of a '67 Corvette Stingray that had four doors and a flat rear window. It's just wrong, so what would be the point of such an exercise?

But that is just one, possibly peculiar, way of looking at it.
    Last edited by JarrodS; March 5th, 2016 at 19:00.
    Altanbulag and sefrcoko like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information