To stowa, hope you consider this.

Thread: To stowa, hope you consider this.

To stowa, hope you consider this.

I really hope airman should have a solid case back-because I do think the 2824 is good looking. The case back is screw down much better than using the screw. And screw in crown would be much better than puch in crown.

I like the stowa airman no logo dial face better than any other B-hur style brand. But I really hate display back showing 2824 and the push in crown. Just because of these reason, I choose sinn656. If stowa consider my suggestion, I will 120% buy one logo airman auto 40mm right now.

Any other agree with me?

Re: To stowa, hope you consider this.

Lots of people...lots of tastes.

I'm indifferent about the case back. Although, Jorg does a lot of work to the 2824 and I do enjoy looking at it quite a bit.

As for the screw in crown...no, thank you.

I have enough dive watches with screw in crowns, and sometimes I worry about the threads being stripped. Not a big worry, but a worry nonetheless.

I prefer the push-pull. Just my opinion.

I believe the Laco's have screw in crowns too. I found that quite odd considering the watch was only water rated to 10m (I think).

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by ranocean View Post
    I really hope airman should have a solid case back-because I do think the 2824 is good looking. The case back is screw down much better than using the screw. And screw in crown would be much better than puch in crown.

I like the stowa airman no logo dial face better than any other B-hur style brand. But I really hate display back showing 2824 and the push in crown. Just because of these reason, I choose sinn656. If stowa consider my suggestion, I will 120% buy one logo airman auto 40mm right now.

Any other agree with me?
    Well, I don't.

I can't see the advantage of a screw in crown and I don't need one. Even Fortis stopped to produce their Flieger watches with a screw in crown. Display back or not is a very personal decision. Depends on your taste. My Seatime (ETA 2824-2) as well as my Stowa Flieger (ETA 2801) are fitted with display backs.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; July 20th, 2008 at 15:07.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The screw down crown (I know that it is a necessitiy of a divers watch) of my Prodiver impedes me of wearing the watch more often honestly.
    It just makes setting more complicated than needed.

The question of solid vs display back is a personal choice. In my opinion a 2824 is not a beauty, but nevertheless often a cheap and simple made solid back looks yet more ugly.

In case of the Seatime both versions were available but J.S. decided to abandon the solid one to reduce variants. So finally it's a compromise of demand and logistical effort to satisfy that demand.

I think most of the customers discovering the fascination of mechanical watches want to see the movement working.

Another option for you could be Flieger watches from Archimede or Steinhart, both companies provide solid backs.

Solid would be fine for me with the 2824 movement. If it was an option and cheaper I would select it. Either way, it doesn't matter much. But the screw down crown would be a waste, especially when you want to jump-start your auto with a few manual winds after it has been sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by ranocean View Post

Any other agree with me?
    No...

To what you are referring fundamentally defines what would be considered a tool/sport watch. The Stowa Airman is not one of those.

It happens to be specifically designed with a standard, push-in, crown, and a unique screw-in, see-through caseback.

Many sport and diver watches have screw-in crowns and solid casebacks which fill that particular widely manufactured niche quite nicely.

Truly, the Airman leads a niche in its own right very nicely.

It's simply counter-intuitive to imagine the Airman Ikarus COSC with a solid caseback and a screw-down onion crown.

Thread Information