Stowa Marine Original?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Stowa Marine Original?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stowa Marine Original?

I am looking at purchasing a Stowa Marine. I really like the look of this watch and think it is one I could wear at the office with a suit and in more casual settings depending on the choice of strap.

My question is, which exact model should I be looking at? Best to purchase from Stowa directly or are there any retailers in USA or Canada?

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Stowa Marine Original?

They only sell directly through their website. They have great customer service. It seems like you are drawn to the Marine Original. Check out their website and look at all of their models. Good luck.

The Marine in the picture you attached is the "Marine Original". It is fairly large (41mm), with 22mm lug width, small seconds sub-dial, and a handwinding movement. The dial is polished and coated brass I believe, with a glossy white "enamel" look. There is also a Roman numeral dial option, plus black dial versions.

The other basic model available is the less expensive "Marine Automatic". This has a different, smaller case (40mm, and also ~2mm thinner), 20mm lug width, center seconds, and an automatic movement. (I think Stowa might also take a custom order on this with a handwinding movement.) The dial is silver coated — in some light it will look white-ish, in other light a warm silver color. You can get it with a date at 6 o' clock or not.

Both watches can be ordered with polished or brushed cases. And I think both watches by default come with Stowa's standard crown, but can be special ordered with an "onion" style crown. Stowa also offers a Marine-style chronograph, but that's a whole other thing.

Note that the logo on the dial has changed since the one in your picture. The Stowa site shows the current version.

Stowa has a lot of models, and they also allow some amount of customization since the watches are often made to order. All this is great but there are a lot of choices to make! If you like the small seconds sub-dial, and can handle the size, the Marine Original is a great choice.

As mentioned above, in the US and Canada you can buy the watches direct from Stowa online, which is great from a price perspective. Note that you don't pay the VAT.
    hidden830726 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello, without knowing your tastes, I would tend to suggest the 40mm Marine. You could either have one with an automatic movement as described on Stowa's websiste or the newer and theoretically thinner manually wound one based on a Sellita SW215 movement. It isn't on Stowa's website yet but it exists, you may look at this thread for informations: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f36/new...2537850-3.html

The 41mm Marine Original is a fine choice (I am awaiting one as we speak) but it might be bulky in an office environment with a suit and tie. The sheer size of the Unitas movement in the Marine Original dictate a larger and thicker case. Then again, there is no right or wrong as long as you are comfortable with your choice. It's just something to ponder.

regards

Seb

Oh, about the link I included in my previous message, you may look at Jorg's intervention (post #24) where he describes the SW215-1 and Iowa_Watchman's intervention (post #30) where he shows his own 40mm manually wound Marine.

Seb

I vote for the 40mm MO as well. Lots to choose from on their website, so give it a close inspection to find what you want.

You can also monitor watchrecon.com to see if any used ones come up for sale as an alternative to buying new.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I have a 41mm Marine Original and a 40mm automatic flieger. The 41mm is a better size for me and my average (a bit over 7") wrist. I wear my MO to work once or twice a week. I generally wear chinos and a button down oxford to work but I think the MO, especially the polished version, would be fine with a suit as well.

Something to consider is the MO does not have a date function, not a problem for me (none of my watches have a date function). Also, the case back on the MO is MUCH more handsome than the 40mm version due to the big and beautiful Unitas movement with its swan neck, heat blued screws and cote de geneve finish.

It's a great watch and I highly recommend it.

MHe225, Orsoni and jocelynchoo like this.

I fully agree with Saxon007 that the Unitas 6498 is a special thing . The slow beating, oversized balance wheel is quite something. Stowa watches based on it have a peculiar charisma. While I am personally mostly not attracted to automatic movements I'd say that the manually wound ETA 2801 and its Sellita equivalents now used by Stowa grew on me recently. Those are definitely much smaller than the Unitas and may not have the same impact at first glance but the pallet fork, the escape wheel and the fourth wheel (the wheel driving the seconds hand) happens to be especially exposed. This make for a movement with a great deal of animation and it has its own charm.

Seb
    Last edited by Seb_L; January 31st, 2016 at 22:03.

Another vote for the 41mm Marine Original, lovely movement.

MO 41mm with superb movement
    i spare arabic numeral for flieger so my choice for marine was roman (silver sterling dial)

My opinion is strap is the most important to up-down the look of the watch
    i paired with top gun strap and it goes really well with my tee shirt and jeans :)

Last edited by iggy-th; February 1st, 2016 at 06:20.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information