WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Stowa MO or Omega AT

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Naturally 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm buying my first mechanical watch. I've narrowed it down to the Stowa Marine Original or an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (white dial, blue hands, croc strap). I haven't been able to find a MO to see in person, to compare directly with the AT. Can anyone with experience describe how these watchs' dials compare, the fit and finish? Is one movement more reliable than the other?

#3 ·
I love them both but they are totally different in style and how they wear. The AT is thinner and automatic and the MO is Handwounded.

Imo the two watches don`t compete in the same market. The AT has a very nice dial work while the MO has a more simple look.

I don`t even think they should be compared to one another.

Great watches:-!

#6 · (Edited)
I don't think the OP is asking to compare the design, style or even the movements of Omega versus Stowa.

I assume he has seen the Omega in the flesh in a dealership but not an MO - because they are sold online only.

So he is quite reasonably asking our opinions on whether the extra price of the Omega is because of better materials used and better workmanship in the manufacture -

- or whether the price differential is explained by the premium added because of the brand name, the high marketing budget and the additional profit margins required due to selling through expensive High Street dealers.

I think that is a perfectly reasonable question - and one I'd like to know the answer to!

I live in "rip-off" Britain and experience daily the fact that the cost of manufacture bears absolutely no relationship to the price charged.

Branding is the ultimate priority because you can then charge more regardless of the cost of production.

Allegedly the Rolex movements are rather rough but because they're housed in excellent cases and spend a fortune on marketing, they command high demand & high prices.
Omega & Rolex are often compared even though I would say they are in different price brackets.

So to Tucker1618 - I would say that if you prefer the style and design of the AT and are willing to buy into the Omega branding & hype then go for that.
If you prefer the design & style of the MO - I think we can reassure you that you will not be disappointed by either, the physical quality of the watch, nor the personal attention & customer service from the watchmaker himself.

My MO delivery was delayed a few days because Jorg had the flu! So whilst I don't imagine Jorg actually assembled my particular watch, it pleases me no end that it did, at some stage, pass through his hands.

#7 ·
I don't think the OP is asking to compare the design, style or even the movements of Omega versus Stowa.

I assume he has seen the Omega in the flesh in a dealership but not an MO - because they are sold online only.
Actually, I'm new to all that stuff but the time I spent here reading, as off many examples found on this forum, learning that if not Jörg someone of his crew bother to rince a "common" ETA movement to oil it back the way they think it should be.
Such care in workmanship, for the price we get a Stowa is really astonishing, isn't it ? That make me feel that bigger (industrial) brands are much overpriced.

#9 · (Edited)
I have both, so I can chime in.

As everyone said, the MO and the AT are very different. I love them both for different reasons.

The AT is elegant and rugged. My AT was a daily wearer for a few years and was scratched, banged, beaten ...etc. It is 300 meters water resistant and I used it while swimming all the time. It is a rugged watch. 5 years after I bought it, I took it for servicing. Omega polished and serviced the watch and it looks nice again. More than 5 years later, the watch still looks and wears nice.

MO is "nicer" and more elegant. It needs love and has to be wound daily before I wear it. BUT, it is not as rugged. It is 50 meters water resistant and I would not take it to the beach or for a day out. It also does not feel as rugged as the AT.

The AT is more accurate and better at time keeping because of the Co-Axial movement. It is a hacking movement. The MO HW does not hack and is not as accurate as the AT (nor it should be).

Saying all that, I still like the MO more.

Just my opinion as a person who owns both.

Your mileage may vary.

#10 ·
I think it says a lot that you can't walk into your neighborhood mall and check out a Stowa... they are special and uncommon watches. I was floored by my MO roman when I first saw it... in pictures they are beautiful, in person they are downright stunning. And I like the fact that my money is going to Jorg and his crew and is not helping to pay for that ostentatious James Bond billboard down the street from my house. That matters to me.

#11 ·
Stowa Marine Original watches are unique, handwound works of art and genius.

The Omega is a more popular, beautifully crafted watch you can swim with, a dressy tool watch that works in all situations.

The reason I have both is because they each offer what the other does not, but...

Asking on the Stowa forum which is better, Stowa or XYZ - will give you some pretty specific direction.

If I had to have only one watch - it'd be the Stowa Marine Original. Omega does not do this kind of work and you won't find a Stowa at any pawn shop. I can always take the MO off if I am going surfing and I can always find a used Omega. (Yes, I do like the Omega, but the MO and the AT have virtually nothing in common).

Omega does not do watches like this:

Glen

#12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I realize the two watches are very different, and an apples-to-apples comparison isn't really appropriate. However, I like each one for very different reasons: the historical significance of the MO (both in dial and movement), the individual care in making each one, the interaction required with winding one each day; vs. the apparent reliability of movement (the AD I visited raved about the co-axial) and durability of the Omega. I was just looking for a comparison of the underlying fit and finish of each, how each will stand up to wear it will take for the years I plan to wear it (don't need to swim or play sports with it, but just regular wear from wearing to work & out & about), etc. Like someone said above, is the difference in price solely due to Omega's branding (which actually turns me off a bit), or is it reflected in the watches themselves?
Since I can't compare in person, was just looking for some thoughts. Thanks again.

#14 ·
I am not sure how reliable the movement is.

My AT stopped working exactly 5 years after I bought it. I had to have it serviced.

That does not say much I know, but I was not impressed by the reliability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.