Stowa MO or Sinn 556?

Thread: Stowa MO or Sinn 556?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stowa MO or Sinn 556?

I can't decide and its driving me nuts as I can only get 1 (for now). Please help me make my decision. Thx.

Re: Stowa MO or Sinn 556?

Well you're choosing between 2 excellent brands and watches so you're ok with either pick.
    MO comes in either manual wind or automatic, so that's an obvious difference there.
    I think most would say the MO is dressier, so that's something to consider.
    I personally prefer the look of the MO and Stowa is an excellent company to deal with.
    Good luck with your choice!
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

@Tragic:
    "MO comes in either manual wind or automatic..."
    There is a misunderstanding:
    MO (Marine Original) only comes with a handwound movement and small second hand.
    Marine Automatic only comes with an automatic movement and central second hand and (often) with date.

If I had to make a decision between the two watches that NOLA1 wrote about, I would ask myself:"Do I want a toolwatch or a dresswatch?"

Quality of both watches is superior, price is nearly the same.

Just my 0,02$,

Volker

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If the price and quality of both models are the same, I believe the intrinsic value of the MO is superior, if only because of its state-of-the-art Unitas manual wind movement, far more original (no pun intended) than any 2428 ETA movement (excellent, but far less exclusive).

The real choice here is:
    Do I want an automatic watch to swim with and knock around without too much risk of damage or do I prefer a dressy hand-wound historical timepiece?

Your choice. Having had both (well, a 656 actually) I can tell you each one is excellent for its purpose.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize that the Stowa MO is a dress watch. That makes the decision even more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize that the Stowa MO is a dress watch. That makes the decision even more difficult.
    Just to add to your woes, just remember that if you go for the Marine Original, you can specify a brushed finish which is a little less dressy, or a dressy highly polished finish. Both are beautiful, but as the others have said, it depends on how you want to wear your watch, and whether you have any other pieces. (Also don't forget that you could make the 556 look quite dressy if you fit a nice calf or croco leather strap).

Good luck.

The Sinn 556 and 656 are watches I've been considering along with the Stowa MO and several others. I am leaning toward the MO because of its ability to look dressy when needed or less dressy with the change of a strap. I don't see it as a complete dress watch, since depending on the strap its purpose can change, as JatG mentioned. The caseback is stunningly beautiful and the white face and Stowa history and heritage are other factors that are giving the MO the edge.

I became interested in Stowa watches because of the Airman, but the clean white dial of the MO with Arabic or Roman numerals is just too enticing, along with the brushed finish. Although I completely agree with denisd that each one has its specific purpose. Since I have inexpensive watches including G-Shocks that I can wear for rigorous activity, a historical timepiece is something I can wear daily with a suit.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Sinn is 38.5mm while the Stowa MO is 41mm. The MO is would be just right for me.
    Last edited by eb23air; October 15th, 2008 at 18:58.

Quote Originally Posted by eb23air View Post

I became interested in Stowa watches because of the Airman, but the clean white dial of the MO with Arabic or Roman numerals is just too enticing, along with the brushed finish.
    Me too actually, I was looking at the Flieger Original, but my other piece is an IWC Mark XVI so I was going to buy the Marine Original. But it felt in concept too similar to the IWC or the FO, ie the sea-based equivalent of the Airmens' watches, so I went for something completely different, the Antea KS.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA1 View Post
    I can't decide and its driving me nuts as I can only get 1 (for now). Please help me make my decision. Thx.
    Sinn watches are made well but I hate the 556 design. The only sense of orientation is the date window at three. I personally think there should be one at 12:00 position. The only advantage with the Sinn is the water resistence.

I understand Sinn is a tool watch but feel the MO has a higher end quality to it.
    "It is the hour of pearl—the interval between day and night when time stops and examines itself."
    -j. steinbeck

Based on the above comments, the good looks of the MO and the unlimited straps that look great on it, i've decided to go w/ the MO as my first watch purchase since the Tag 2000 Exclusive I received as a gift from my parents 8 years ago.

Now the question is whether to go w/ polished or matte? I prefer the look and durability of the matte but can find a barely used polished version for a significant discount. Nobody seems to be selling their matte MO. Thoughts? Is it possible to have the matte finish applied to the polished version?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information