Stowa MO Vs Stowa MA - Thickness/Weight
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Stowa MO Vs Stowa MA - Thickness/Weight

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stowa MO Vs Stowa MA - Thickness/Weight

I want a Stowa....badly.

I've narrowed my choice down to the MO and the MA (no date).

Main motivation apart from their simplistic beauty is to have a clean-cut, quality, every day watch which is lighter and THINNER than my Breitling 50th anniversary Navi.

The Breitling is beautiful, especially with its matt case, but weighs about a kilo and is approx. 15.5mm thick.

I understand the MA is 10.02mm thick and weighs 70g
    the MO is 12.00mm thick and weighs 77g.

Is the extra thickness/weight of the MO really that noticeable compared to the MA?? Any side by side pics around?

I feel totally drawn by the idea of a manual- the interaction/feel etc... and the case back is far superior visually (IMO).

HOWEVER, the Auto is thinner, lighter and probably more suited to every day wear- I especially like the look of a tan colored Nato canvas strap on it- perfect for summer.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me make my decision.

THANKS!

Re: Stowa MO Vs Stowa MA - Thickness/Weight

Hi,

some years ago I had to make a similar decision - and I took both............and some more

Here you can see them all:

Marine staff

I don't prefer one over another because of weight or size. They are chosen to be worn mostly by accident as they all appeal to me.

I hope I could support your decision process,

Volker
    Ivan36 likes this.

Thanks for the input!

Still unsure though....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think the difference is bigger than the numbers let you assume. At least thats what I found out for me. The Unitas cases look too big on my arm - especially since the MO is all dial and white which both makes the watch look bigger. I'm wearing a Stowa Flieger (same case as the MA) just fine - the MO I tried was too big. The lugs of the MA case fit my arm way nicer.
    However I have to say that I like to wear smaller watches (e.g. 36mm DJ, 35mm Tangente and a few 38mm watches) and the bigger ones I have usually have a thicker bezel (Speedmaser, Hydroconquest). So if you are used to a quite big Breitling the MO might not be that big a change for you - just be aware of the white huge dial. Movementwise the MO is obviously the far nicer choice.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

7 g is just a flyspeck imho. Weight shouldn't be an issue though. If you are used to 35mm to 38mm watches got for the Marine Auto or Marine HW. The MO is 41mm in diameter, the MA 40mm.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah, 7g is nothing i'm not worried about the difference in weight between the two, both of them are far lighter than what i'm wearing atm.

In terms of diameter I wear a 42mm and it wears nicely.

Thickness is my issue, as cuffs are hardly a pleasure to wear when theres 15.5mm in the way- a few mills less should make all the difference, and a Stowa ticks all the boxes for me in terms of a good all round every day wearer- simple yet bold aesthetics, value for money, size and build quality.

My toss-up is between gorgeous manual movement Vs (slightly?) thinner Auto. Does the movement outweigh the difference in thickness...Tricky

How do we think a tan nato strap would suit the MO? Methinks the MO is a touch too sophisticated for that due to the seconds dial....

The MO MA debate is one that has raged in my mind ever since I first got interested in watches a few years ago. I knew I wanted one, but went back and forth, forth and back about it until, after much debate, I went with the MO. I love my MO. I wear it all the time. It goes well with casual. It goes well formal. It fits under the cuffs of my shirts, barely. (See wrist shot below, which doesn't show the watch under my cuff, but gives you a reference for it on my 7.5" wrist.) But. But. But. But. I really love the look of the MA and I have the sneaking feeling that the MA would be just a tad more comfortable than the MO under the cuff of a dress shirt. Also, I love the way that damn MA looks. So, I am strongly considering going the Volker route and buying both. Seems like a waste somehow, when there are fliegers, MiesterSingers, Vintage Omegas out there calling to me and I already am sporting a fine MO. So, you see, I am still wrestling with this vexing and alluring problem. Best of luck, friend. Let us know what you do and send photos.

Name:  Stowa MO wrist shot.jpg
Views: 2692
Size:  157.1 KB
    Watches: Stowa MO, Matte/onion crown, No. 2065; Helson Skindiver, Orange No date, No. 018; Orient Mako Blue Ray. Wish list: Breitling Superocean Heritage 42; PAM 177; Aqua Terra 2500 caliber; Speedy Broad Arrow; AirKing black dial, gold indices; 1960s Seamaster and many more.

"They brought me up to the Brooklyn Dodgers, which at that time was in Brooklyn," Casey Stengel.

Yeah, getting both does seem like a waste, I know exactly what you mean. I don't consider myself a watch fanatic or collector by any means, a mildly enthusiastic watch-rookie perhaps- so buying two watches which are so similar in looks wouldn't feel right- I just couldn't justify it.

A no date/logo Flieger on the other hand....thats another story but i've talked myself out of it by telling myself I already have a watch with a black face and lume (we'll see how this conviction stands the test of time).

Your MO looks great, I reckon my wrists are about the same so that helps a lot...

However I fear this is going to be a tough decision either way...

One issue that might make things clearer is hand-wind versus auto. How do you feel about that? I love hand wind watches so the MO was easy for me on that level. The movement is also a lot more interesting on the MO.

Quote Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
    Yeah, getting both does seem like a waste, I know exactly what you mean. I don't consider myself a watch fanatic or collector by any means, a mildly enthusiastic watch-rookie perhaps- so buying two watches which are so similar in looks wouldn't feel right- I just couldn't justify it.

A no date/logo Flieger on the other hand....thats another story but i've talked myself out of it by telling myself I already have a watch with a black face and lume (we'll see how this conviction stands the test of time).

Your MO looks great, I reckon my wrists are about the same so that helps a lot...

However I fear this is going to be a tough decision either way...
    Watches: Stowa MO, Matte/onion crown, No. 2065; Helson Skindiver, Orange No date, No. 018; Orient Mako Blue Ray. Wish list: Breitling Superocean Heritage 42; PAM 177; Aqua Terra 2500 caliber; Speedy Broad Arrow; AirKing black dial, gold indices; 1960s Seamaster and many more.

"They brought me up to the Brooklyn Dodgers, which at that time was in Brooklyn," Casey Stengel.

Joe,

I can understand why, Stowa watches are incredible!

The only real decision is whether you want an automatic or a manual wind watch. They are virtually the same size and weight,given the fact that you are used to wearing a Breitling, this becomes a non issue. I chose the M.O. because it was exactly what I was looking for, a classic style that will stand the test of time, it lends it's self well with evening attire or in jeans on the deck smoking a fine cigar or what ever you like to do in a casual setting. I did choose the Roman because imho it has more versatility, it can be dressed up or down with the changing of the strap. The arabic is more casual. The white face is beautiful,it is highly polished and the numerals are a deep black that are sharp and crisp even under magnification. If you ever hold one in your hand and look at the face you will understand how wonderful the watch is, yes the white face with virtually no bezel gives it a commanding presence, but not overly so.

Now to the heart of the watch,the Unitas 6498! It is a the part of the watch that spoke to me, I like the fact that I am able to interact with my watch and admire it's beautiful movement. It is highly decorated, with real fire blued screws, gold plating, geneve strips,and swan regulator! Manolete did not mention it, but it can be ordered with the onion crown if you are so inclinded. If I had known that I would have ordered mine with the onion crown,it really gives the watch a unique look, classic! That's ok because I am with Volker, you can never have too many watches!

I know its a lot to think about,manual or automatic,Roman or Arabic,Polished or Matt,Standard crown or Onion! I can only say what works for me,you will have to decide what works for you.

They are both wonderful watches!!

Ren
    sk8n likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information