Stowa Partitio - Replacing sapphire with acrylic?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By karhu

Thread: Stowa Partitio - Replacing sapphire with acrylic?

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Member karhu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    187

    Question Stowa Partitio - Replacing sapphire with acrylic?

    First and foremost, the Partitio is just a fantastic watch. I'm a bit of a sucker for acrylic crystals, for me they are a big part of the look and "feel" of a nice classic watch and is something I think could really suit the Partitio. Without getting into too much debate about merits of acrylic vs sapphire, does anyone have any insight into how feasible this mod might be? I did some searching and found numerous discussions about replacing other crystals with sapphire but not so much the other way around. As I understand it, this would require a crystal slightly larger than the original and then a tension ring to hold it snug in place. Is this essentially it? Would anyone happen to know a recommended size for the Partitio? I assume water resistance wouldn't be assured anymore, not that the Partitio is much of a swimming watch to begin with but hopefully it would still stand up to getting caught in the rain in short sleeves etc. Thank you for any thoughts on this!
    hidden830726 likes this.

  2. #2
    Member hidden830726's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: Stowa Partitio - Replacing sapphire with acrylic?

    Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    First and foremost, the Partitio is just a fantastic watch. I'm a bit of a sucker for acrylic crystals, for me they are a big part of the look and "feel" of a nice classic watch and is something I think could really suit the Partitio. Without getting into too much debate about merits of acrylic vs sapphire, does anyone have any insight into how feasible this mod might be? I did some searching and found numerous discussions about replacing other crystals with sapphire but not so much the other way around. As I understand it, this would require a crystal slightly larger than the original and then a tension ring to hold it snug in place. Is this essentially it? Would anyone happen to know a recommended size for the Partitio? I assume water resistance wouldn't be assured anymore, not that the Partitio is much of a swimming watch to begin with but hopefully it would still stand up to getting caught in the rain in short sleeves etc. Thank you for any thoughts on this!
    I have not seen anyone done it on their Stowa before. Interesting project indeed.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk


  3. #3
    Member WatchHound007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montana, USA
    Posts
    359

    Re: Stowa Partitio - Replacing sapphire with acrylic?

    Never seen someone go sapphire to acrylic, usually the other way. Please post pics if you do it. Should be interesting.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    12

    Re: Stowa Partitio - Replacing sapphire with acrylic?

    I'm not help here, but would love to see how this turns out. It's a warm watch and would be even cozier with acrylic. Great idea...

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Posts
    301

    Re: Stowa Partitio - Replacing sapphire with acrylic?

    I'm basing this entirely on what I've heard about the issues Junghans faced with trying to go the other way, replacing their acrylic crystals with sapphire crystals. The difficulty comes with how the two crystals fit into the bezel. I don't think this mod would be very feasible and may require quite extensive work on the case if it's possible at all.

  7. #6
    Member karhu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    187

    Re: Stowa Partitio - Replacing sapphire with acrylic?

    Quote Originally Posted by mousekar75 View Post
    I'm basing this entirely on what I've heard about the issues Junghans faced with trying to go the other way, replacing their acrylic crystals with sapphire crystals. The difficulty comes with how the two crystals fit into the bezel. I don't think this mod would be very feasible and may require quite extensive work on the case if it's possible at all.
    This is interesting, do you happen to remember where you heard that? That sounds like a real possible problem. It would be a very cool mod for perhaps the first service if it's even possible, for now I'm just enjoying the watch as-is! It's a definite keeper.

  8. #7
    Member JacobC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    2,273

    Re: Stowa Partitio - Replacing sapphire with acrylic?

    Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    This is interesting, do you happen to remember where you heard that? That sounds like a real possible problem. It would be a very cool mod for perhaps the first service if it's even possible, for now I'm just enjoying the watch as-is! It's a definite keeper.
    It was definitely discussed on the Worm and Wound podcast, they talked for a few minutes about Junghans having to change the bezel shape to fit the sapphire glass.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Posts
    301

    Re: Stowa Partitio - Replacing sapphire with acrylic?

    Yes that's right, I heard it on the worn and wound podcast, I believe they were talking about things they had seen at Baselworld. I've also done some mods myself with an Invicta 8926 and some Seiko's and from personal experience retro-fitting parts is always tricky and rarely gives you the results you're hoping for.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. FS. Stowa Partitio: Black: Automatic: With Extra Strap
      By heresiarh in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: May 15th, 2017, 00:44
    2. Does the Stowa Partitio Klassik come with a steel or glass caseback?
      By jdelgado360 in forum Jörg Schauer & STOWA
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: April 9th, 2017, 22:09
    3. Replies: 3
      Last Post: October 9th, 2015, 00:13
    4. Replacing glass with acrylic on Alpha Speedy
      By samanderson in forum Chinese Mechanical watches
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: March 8th, 2013, 11:40
    5. Is it possible to replace glass with Sapphire ?
      By Sar315 in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: March 9th, 2008, 15:13

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •