Stowa Partitio - Replacing sapphire with acrylic?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By karhu

Thread: Stowa Partitio - Replacing sapphire with acrylic?

Question Stowa Partitio - Replacing sapphire with acrylic?

First and foremost, the Partitio is just a fantastic watch. I'm a bit of a sucker for acrylic crystals, for me they are a big part of the look and "feel" of a nice classic watch and is something I think could really suit the Partitio. Without getting into too much debate about merits of acrylic vs sapphire, does anyone have any insight into how feasible this mod might be? I did some searching and found numerous discussions about replacing other crystals with sapphire but not so much the other way around. As I understand it, this would require a crystal slightly larger than the original and then a tension ring to hold it snug in place. Is this essentially it? Would anyone happen to know a recommended size for the Partitio? I assume water resistance wouldn't be assured anymore, not that the Partitio is much of a swimming watch to begin with but hopefully it would still stand up to getting caught in the rain in short sleeves etc. Thank you for any thoughts on this!
    hidden830726 likes this.

Re: Stowa Partitio - Replacing sapphire with acrylic?

Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    First and foremost, the Partitio is just a fantastic watch. I'm a bit of a sucker for acrylic crystals, for me they are a big part of the look and "feel" of a nice classic watch and is something I think could really suit the Partitio. Without getting into too much debate about merits of acrylic vs sapphire, does anyone have any insight into how feasible this mod might be? I did some searching and found numerous discussions about replacing other crystals with sapphire but not so much the other way around. As I understand it, this would require a crystal slightly larger than the original and then a tension ring to hold it snug in place. Is this essentially it? Would anyone happen to know a recommended size for the Partitio? I assume water resistance wouldn't be assured anymore, not that the Partitio is much of a swimming watch to begin with but hopefully it would still stand up to getting caught in the rain in short sleeves etc. Thank you for any thoughts on this!
    I have not seen anyone done it on their Stowa before. Interesting project indeed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Never seen someone go sapphire to acrylic, usually the other way. Please post pics if you do it. Should be interesting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm not help here, but would love to see how this turns out. It's a warm watch and would be even cozier with acrylic. Great idea...

I'm basing this entirely on what I've heard about the issues Junghans faced with trying to go the other way, replacing their acrylic crystals with sapphire crystals. The difficulty comes with how the two crystals fit into the bezel. I don't think this mod would be very feasible and may require quite extensive work on the case if it's possible at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mousekar75 View Post
    I'm basing this entirely on what I've heard about the issues Junghans faced with trying to go the other way, replacing their acrylic crystals with sapphire crystals. The difficulty comes with how the two crystals fit into the bezel. I don't think this mod would be very feasible and may require quite extensive work on the case if it's possible at all.
    This is interesting, do you happen to remember where you heard that? That sounds like a real possible problem. It would be a very cool mod for perhaps the first service if it's even possible, for now I'm just enjoying the watch as-is! It's a definite keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    This is interesting, do you happen to remember where you heard that? That sounds like a real possible problem. It would be a very cool mod for perhaps the first service if it's even possible, for now I'm just enjoying the watch as-is! It's a definite keeper.
    It was definitely discussed on the Worm and Wound podcast, they talked for a few minutes about Junghans having to change the bezel shape to fit the sapphire glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes that's right, I heard it on the worn and wound podcast, I believe they were talking about things they had seen at Baselworld. I've also done some mods myself with an Invicta 8926 and some Seiko's and from personal experience retro-fitting parts is always tricky and rarely gives you the results you're hoping for.

Thread Information