Stowa Production Volume?

Thread: Stowa Production Volume?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stowa Production Volume?

Hi all,

I had a question about Stowa's production volume. After being intro'ed to the Stowa brand and going through the whole FO LE debacle years ago, I finally decided to order a basic Flieger, no logo, no date. I received my watch today and was very surprised that the Gerät Nummer is 14XX. Is that possible? After all these years of production there's only been ~1400 produced so far? Does anyone know Stowa's approximate annual production volume?

Also, the watch is fantastic...my only critique so far is that it really, really needs AR on the crystal. Looking at my Flieger vs. my Omega PO is like night vs day.

Re: Stowa Production Volume?

See this thread for your answer: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f36/sto...on-416002.html

Quoted from Jörg Schauer himself:

"like it is written - about 3000 per year .-)

best regards

jörg schauer"

Quote Originally Posted by senna89wc12 View Post
    See this thread for your answer: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f36/sto...on-416002.html

Quoted from Jörg Schauer himself:

"like it is written - about 3000 per year .-)

best regards

jörg schauer"
    Thanks. I'm not surprised at the 3k/year figure, but I am surprised at what a small percentage the Flieger represents of total production. Considering the Flieger has been out for at least 5-6 years, that means only ~250 are produced a year which is only ~8% of overall volume. I guess the Marine, Antea and others are much more popular.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A Flieger from Stowa, one of the authentic five producers of this style of watch for the German military, is a special thing. Part of the authenticity of the watch is that they conform to the WWII style as closely as possible, and AR was not used for those watches at that time. Also, AR on the outside scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by bioyuki View Post
    Also, the watch is fantastic...my only critique so far is that it really, really needs AR on the crystal. Looking at my Flieger vs. my Omega PO is like night vs day.
    Watches: Stowa MO, Matte/onion crown, No. 2065; Helson Skindiver, Orange No date, No. 018; Orient Mako Blue Ray. Wish list: Breitling Superocean Heritage 42; PAM 177; Aqua Terra 2500 caliber; Speedy Broad Arrow; AirKing black dial, gold indices; 1960s Seamaster and many more.

"They brought me up to the Brooklyn Dodgers, which at that time was in Brooklyn," Casey Stengel.

I have to say that the lack of AR has been a non issue, and I wear my watch nearly everyday! I swore I would not wear it to work but I can hardly take it off!! I have even had a person comment on my B dial, using those very terms! And I thought WUS members(aka watch geeks) were the only ones who knew what a B-Dial is.

Ren

I have to admit I would prefer if my B-dial had internal AR. But if it's more authentic this way, I won't complain about it

My B-dial was delivered at the end of 2010, and it's number 127. So ~130 watches in its first eight months of production works out to around 200 of them in 12 months. All estimates of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Manolete View Post
    A Flieger from Stowa, one of the authentic five producers of this style of watch for the German military, is a special thing. Part of the authenticity of the watch is that they conform to the WWII style as closely as possible, and AR was not used for those watches at that time. Also, AR on the outside scratches.
    While I agree to your point about authenticity, there are also the pragmatic needs of a modern 21st century watch. If Stowa produced a true authentic homage with a handwind movement, a 55mm case and a ridiculously long strap, I doubt very few people would actually wear that watch. I think AR is a minor addition that makes a huge difference to readability and thus everyday use. Just my two cents...after this watch I'll never be buying a watch without AR again.

Internal AR would be ideal, but I actually haven't had any scratches on the external AR of some of my watches that I semi-daily wear.

While I agree to your point about authenticity, there are also the pragmatic needs of a modern 21st century watch. If Stowa produced a true authentic homage with a handwind movement, a 55mm case and a ridiculously long strap, I doubt very few people would actually wear that watch. I think AR is a minor addition that makes a huge difference to readability and thus everyday use. Just my two cents...after this watch I'll never be buying a watch without AR again.

Internal AR would be ideal, but I actually haven't had any scratches on the external AR of some of my watches that I semi-daily wear.
    I agree with you. Internal AR coating would be welcome. And it would help to improve the appearance, and readability on a watch that is already very legible. Jorg once commented that he did not use external AR because the coating can be scratched easily. Some of the current Stowa watches do have inner AR coating such as the Marine Original.

One of the concerns regarding authenticity is the colour of the AR coating. Most of the coating I have seen so far have a hint of blue tint. The double AR on my Damasko DA36 is blueish. Maybe Stowa doesn't want that blue tint to interfere with the overall design of the Flieger (especially the blue flame hands)? I have read that AR coating comes with different colours, and the coating can be colourless (transparent). Is this true?

d88

I was about to post the same sentiments. Stowa's flieger offering is a modern day homage to the original, nothing wrong with that as it looks the part and is a quality timepiece but the lack of AR even on the underside lets it down imo. That's the reason why I (reluctantly) cancelled my flieger order and bought a Damasko instead. Even if Jorg offered AR as an option it would have been better than having no AR at all.

Quote Originally Posted by senna89wc12 View Post
    I agree with you. Internal AR coating would be welcome. And it would help to improve the appearance, and readability on a watch that is already very legible. Jorg once commented that he did not use external AR because the coating can be scratched easily. Some of the current Stowa watches do have inner AR coating such as the Marine Original.

One of the concerns regarding authenticity is the colour of the AR coating. Most of the coating I have seen so far have a hint of blue tint. The double AR on my Damasko DA36 is blueish. Maybe Stowa doesn't want that blue tint to interfere with the overall design of the Flieger (especially the blue flame hands)? I have read that AR coating comes with different colours, and the coating can be colourless (transparent). Is this true?
    It is indeed true. I have a watch with inner AR coating--no hint of blue at any angle. Love having AR and wish Stowa offered it as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information