Stowa/Schauer manufacture process

Thread: Stowa/Schauer manufacture process

Stowa/Schauer manufacture process

Hi all,

My quest started out to find out more than the couple of threads posted by members in WUS on the end-to-end process of Stowa auto/manual and Schauer watches. The pictures posted by some of the members who have visited the factory in the past where very interesting, but I had not been able to get any more information until speaking to Regine. She could tell me how long each stage takes, but was able to point me to an area on the Schauer website that provides a good overview (In German) of what makes Stowa/Schauer so great at it's price point - it's craftsmanship.

I know that many of you will say "we knew this already" but I still found it interesting. Apologies if this has already been posted, I have tried to use the search facility first.

I anyone has any more to add to the process of making auto/manual watches within Stowa/Schauer (eg How long is a manual/auto watch regulated for, is a Schauer watch regulated for longer than a Stowa etc)feel free to post it here!

Re: Stowa/Schauer manufacture process

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but seeing as I want to ask the same question, I figured it would save getting a post about using the search function.

Is the Stowa manufacturing process a trade secret? I appreciate that that might be the reason for the lack of info. If it's not though, it would be kind of nice to know the whole process from start to finish. I've seen speculation, but never anything clear on what happens from the day you place an order. My thoughts on what happens are:

Order placed
    You go into a queue
    Once people ahead have had orders fulfilled, you get the payment request
    Once payment is made, parts that are required are ordered (or general parts are just kept in stock)
    This is where I get curious, the construction. You're told it can be 2-3 weeks once payment is made for the watch to be ready. How are they put together?
    Bezel, crown, other bits laser etched etc. Movement inserted, polishing?

I figure it varies from model to model and how busy Stowa are at the time, but a general timeline would be cool. Just so that I can be thinking that at around this point in the wait process, my watch will likely be having xxxxx done to it. DOesn't matter if that is correct or not, just makes it feel a lot more personal if you can imagine it on the crafting bench getting made!

I'm curious about this as well. Stowa seems more upfront than most watch brands, but I'd always like to know more.

For example, the crowns. The TO1 crown production pictures were really fun to see. Are any other crowns actually made by Stowa? I ordered an onion crown, but if I knew the signed crown was made in-house and the onion wasn't, that might have swayed me.

I know this isn't happening soon (ever?) but it would also be terrific if a brand was completely honest about the origins of their various parts. I don't mind if the case was made in China and finished in Germany, but I would rather know the truth than have to make assumptions.

But more to your point, I was describing the ordering process to a friend who said "so you wait a few months before paying anything, did they already make the watch without a deposit or is that when they put it together?" I had to admit I had no idea.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I do wonder if the parts are all mostly bought in, finished in Germany, and then assembled. It's not a problem if this is the case, though I guess some people might not like it if that was the truth. Guess it's a bit like magic tricks, they lose some of their magic when you know how they are done.

The link in the original post in this thread though does have some interesting pictures of some of the manufacturing stages of Schauer watches.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk HD

........months before paying anything, did they already make the watch without a deposit or is that when they put it together?"

May be they are people that trust in their customers?

Volker

Quote Originally Posted by brainless View Post
    May be they are people that trust in their customers?

Volker
    They don't need to trust in their customers to be fair, if someone did cancel then demand is such that someone else would just get theirs a little earlier.

Thread Information