Stowa servicing in NYC
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nycinek

Thread: Stowa servicing in NYC

Stowa servicing in NYC

hi All

my Marine Automatic seems like it is due for service, or maybe just a good degaussing. i've noticed it runs fast (maybe slow, havent really sat down to check), despite being on a winder nightly. i am hesitant to ship it to germany, and wanted to see if the WUS community can recommend a repair shop in NYC. i know the ETA 2824-2 movement is fairly simple, but i want to make sure the service is done correctly by a reputable (and preferably a WUS-go-to) repair shop in NYC. wouldn't mind replacing the crystal either, but that im sure i would have to send it in for.

all recommendations are welcome, thanks!!!

Re: Stowa servicing in NYC

Honestly if it were me I would ship it back to Stowa, that way you can trust the service you would be receiving. I’m sure they are reputable watch repair shops in NYC but to the unfamiliar I would only trust the manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Central Watch - Home | Grand Central Terminal | Central Watch - but not sure if it's better than just paying for the shipping to Germany - Stowa's prices are pretty good for service, and Central Watch is good but pricey.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't have direct experience but my anecdotal evidence with service centers is this: they aren't as good as the service center for the company hardly ever. I once had a Mondaine shipped back to me missing the movement holder and a screw on the rotor during a full service.

I returned my Marine Auto to Stowa for work a year ago, it ran me $90 FedEx.

I agree with the above posts that manufacturer work is likely to be higher quality - as a test, early this year I had my 6 year old Hamilton Khaki overhauled by an NYC watchmaker with decent Yelp reviews (PM me if you want the name). It came back with two lume pips damaged. The watch does run a consistent -8/day, which I know I can regulate to slightly fast, so that part of the work was good.

Based on my limited experience above and what I read, I'd probably send all my watches back to the manufacturers, even if it's pricier.

OP - if you do use an NYC watchmaker and are satisfied, please let us know, I think a lot of NYC-area WUS members would be interested in finding someone reliable.
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

thanks all for the suggestions. i was looking to get my watch serviced as it was running quite fast. after some reading, i figured it out to be magnetization. one $10 degausser later, it seems to be in fine shape.
    whineboy likes this.

Thread Information