Stowa Verus: finding a ZEN state. Against my will and after a decade in the hobby. - Page 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Stowa Verus: finding a ZEN state. Against my will and after a decade in the hobby.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Stowa Verus: finding a ZEN state. Against my will and after a decade in the hobby.

Interesting, insightful post. I love the look of that watch. I'm still in the acquisition phase. Yesterday I was in a jewellers looking at a Seiko but couldn't bring myself to buy it.

I think you're definitely cured.

Re: Stowa Verus: finding a ZEN state. Against my will and after a decade in the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by nfetterly View Post
    Nice Stowa.

I work in the pulp and paper industry and often allowed to wear a watch (I visit many different mills), however no continuous bands (one piece Natos).
    I dont work in the paper industry but the reason you are not allowed to wear continuous bands is the same reason I will not wear Natos.

I think some people on here think I'm nuts or over cautious at the very least but I've done my risk assessment and I'm sticking to it.

Think Ill have a look at those two piece...
    Cheers

M

Current collection: Hamilton Khaki Mechanical H694190, Seiko "Turtle" SBDY015, Seiko Sarb 033, Citizen Diver NY0040-09e, VSA Alliance, Citizen "Ray Mears" BN0118-55E , Casio Edifice EF-503D-1A, Favre Leuba Vintage watch, Lorus field watch RXF41AX7, Pulsar field watch PS9045.
    Gone but not forgotten: Oris Big Crown Propilot, Seiko SKX009, Orient Star Classic, Citizen "Excalibur" BN0100-51E, Citizen NP4020-51A, Citizen BM8180-03E, Citizen BM6400-00e, VSA Officers day date
    Capture and release: Oris BC3, Hamilton Khaki Field, Timefactors Speedbird 3, Citizen World Timer CB0027-51E

Quote Originally Posted by lukkluj View Post
    Good question. I also hate sweaty leather in the summer. I purchased 3 two-piece NATOs from Timefactors (grey, black and green) for this purpose. They are awfully stiff out but they have these nice bead blasted buckles so the hardware macthes nicely. I think they will have to do for te warmer months. I just don't like regular NATOs increasing the height of the case.

Not a bracelet man eh ? After many unsuccessful bracelet experiences I am starting to feel that way.

As per my earlier post I dont use one piece Natos - Are these the straps that you are talking about ?

Timefactors Two Piece Nylon Strap

The ones with deployant clasps?
    Cheers

M

Current collection: Hamilton Khaki Mechanical H694190, Seiko "Turtle" SBDY015, Seiko Sarb 033, Citizen Diver NY0040-09e, VSA Alliance, Citizen "Ray Mears" BN0118-55E , Casio Edifice EF-503D-1A, Favre Leuba Vintage watch, Lorus field watch RXF41AX7, Pulsar field watch PS9045.
    Gone but not forgotten: Oris Big Crown Propilot, Seiko SKX009, Orient Star Classic, Citizen "Excalibur" BN0100-51E, Citizen NP4020-51A, Citizen BM8180-03E, Citizen BM6400-00e, VSA Officers day date
    Capture and release: Oris BC3, Hamilton Khaki Field, Timefactors Speedbird 3, Citizen World Timer CB0027-51E

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I find that there is a pureness to the A-dial Flieger design that appeals in a fundamental way to those rejecting ornamentation, ostentation, and complication. One serial flipper on WUS whose posts I follow regularly said that he had an epiphany when he purchased a Damasko DA36. It's utter simplicity and total focus on legibility made him rethink his entire collection. I believe that the Verus is doing that for you and I understand it, having burned out on diver watches recently. I know that I smile approvingly whenever I strap my Laco or Archimede flieger watch on my wrist.

The bigger issue is how hollow the pursuit of watches can be. We love them, we appreciate them, they provide satisfaction for a while and then, we get bored and start looking again. I don't believe that an "Exit Watch" exists for most of us, but I do believe that a smaller "Exit Collection" can be quite fulfilling when it is filled with a few carefully-chosen watches that allow ourselves a reasonable rotation without generating the urge to wander and buy more just for the sake of doing so. How big is that collection? I don't think there is one number that would satisfy everyone, but it's something that I've been working on diligently for the past eighteen months (sold 31 watches) and feel that I'm getting closer to a collection that generally satisfies.

Sounds like my watch collecting story as well! I found that zen state with a Seiko kinetic about 10 years ago. But after 3 years of owning one watch - I got sucked back in because I began scouring the forums. If I could stay away from this site, I could be a one watch guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OnTheRoad99 likes this.
    "No ice in my drink, got enough in my watch..." -Juicy J

I completely understand your zen. I don't like cluttered, hard to read dials. I knew that going in. But I also like dive watches for the rotating bezels. I tried several field watches and several dive watches. I still like them, but I landed on a Damasko DH 1.0. The dial isn't quite as clean as your Stowa, but it has just enough on it that it's very legible, and just interesting enough.

Interestingly, I'm wearing a Damasko DA38 right now - quite similar to your Stowa in simplicity and aesthetic.

As for straps, you might look into canvas as well. They can look nice.

Thank you for all the comments guys. Some very good observations here and it turns out I'm not alone :)

Quote Originally Posted by Munchie View Post
    Not a bracelet man eh ? After many unsuccessful bracelet experiences I am starting to feel that way.

As per my earlier post I dont use one piece Natos - Are these the straps that you are talking about ?

Timefactors Two Piece Nylon Strap

The ones with deployant clasps?
    Yes. Exactly those ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K View Post
    I find that there is a pureness to the A-dial Flieger design that appeals in a fundamental way to those rejecting ornamentation, ostentation, and complication. One serial flipper on WUS whose posts I follow regularly said that he had an epiphany when he purchased a Damasko DA36. It's utter simplicity and total focus on legibility made him rethink his entire collection. I believe that the Verus is doing that for you and I understand it, having burned out on diver watches recently. I know that I smile approvingly whenever I strap my Laco or Archimede flieger watch on my wrist.

The bigger issue is how hollow the pursuit of watches can be. We love them, we appreciate them, they provide satisfaction for a while and then, we get bored and start looking again. I don't believe that an "Exit Watch" exists for most of us, but I do believe that a smaller "Exit Collection" can be quite fulfilling when it is filled with a few carefully-chosen watches that allow ourselves a reasonable rotation without generating the urge to wander and buy more just for the sake of doing so. How big is that collection? I don't think there is one number that would satisfy everyone, but it's something that I've been working on diligently for the past eighteen months (sold 31 watches) and feel that I'm getting closer to a collection that generally satisfies.
    I think your first sentence nails it - it's all about the simplicity and lack of ornamentation. I also think "exit collection" happens in mind, not in the watch box. It's about reaching a certain viewpoint - seeing accumulated watches (or single watch) as satisfying. It can be a beloved Timex or super expensive Patek.

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    I completely understand your zen. I don't like cluttered, hard to read dials. I knew that going in. But I also like dive watches for the rotating bezels. I tried several field watches and several dive watches. I still like them, but I landed on a Damasko DH 1.0. The dial isn't quite as clean as your Stowa, but it has just enough on it that it's very legible, and just interesting enough.

Interestingly, I'm wearing a Damasko DA38 right now - quite similar to your Stowa in simplicity and aesthetic.

As for straps, you might look into canvas as well. They can look nice.
    Those Damaskos are really lovely. Especially the PVD ones like yours. Are there any canvas brands worth recommending?

Thank you for all the comments guys. Some very good observations here and it turns out I'm not alone :)

Yes. Exactly those ones.
    Ive had a look and I have to say those deployant clasps do not look comfortable. It would be interesting to hear how you get on with them.

Ive seen some two piece zulus in watchobsession that look interesting but they are out of stock at of 20mm the moment.

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...iant=862891681
    Cheers

M

Good question. I also hate sweaty leather in the summer. I purchased 3 two-piece NATOs from Timefactors (grey, black and green) for this purpose. They are awfully stiff out but they have these nice bead blasted buckles so the hardware macthes nicely. I think they will have to do for te warmer months. I just don't like regular NATOs increasing the height of the case.
    So glad you found inner peace and harmony with that. Might I suggest a hook and loop strap from Nick Mankey. Got one and loving it. Great design, super comfort and nothing under the watch. I've been having fun putting it on different watches.

https://nickmankeydesigns.com/shop/t...tic-watch-band

Attachment 14001207

Attachment 14001213

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

umarrajs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robmks View Post
    So glad you found inner peace and harmony with that. Might I suggest a hook and loop strap from Nick Mankey. Got one and loving it. Great design, super comfort and nothing under the watch. I've been having fun putting it on different watches.

https://nickmankeydesigns.com/shop/t...tic-watch-band

Bob
    Those look great - thank you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information