Are Stowa Watches Made to Order?
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Are Stowa Watches Made to Order?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does Jorg assemble the watches before they are ordered and they just sit there in the black forest waiting to be purchased or does an order have to come in before watch assembly begins? Just a curious Stowa Flieger owner wondering how his watch was made :)

Re: Are Stowa Watches Made to Order?

Just a curious Stowa Flieger owner wondering how his watch was made
    What do you think is the difference between being made before you ordered or after you ordered?

Volker
    Rickster27b likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

What would your best guess be with regard to the delivery times mentioned on Stowa‘s web site ? Why should you wait 2-3 weeks or a month for delivery of a watch which sits in stock ? Does this stack up ?
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    What would your best guess be with regard to the delivery times mentioned on Stowa‘s web site ? Why should you wait 2-3 weeks or a month for delivery of a watch which sits in stock ? Does this stack up ?
    People wait years for a Rolex and they're not made to order. People also wait months for watches from G. Gerlach (for a different reason) and those aren't made to order either.

A lag in receiving your product isn't necessarily indicative of anything in particular. Maybe they're just slow.
    moberf, yankeexpress and LB Carl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SaoDavi View Post
    People wait years for a Rolex and they're not made to order. People also wait months for watches from G. Gerlach (for a different reason) and those aren't made to order either.

A lag in receiving your product isn't necessarily indicative of anything in particular. Maybe they're just slow.
    It's a legitimate question, don't worry. Mike is frequently condescending, but also very helpful many times.
    cadenza, robi1138 and LB Carl like this.

I think they are assembled to order, given the 2-3 week delay

They obviously must have the various parts to hand... and then just build whichever configuration is requested. Manual wind, basic auto, top auto , crown choices, strap selection, date/no date, logo/no logo, engravings, rotors etc.

Their email this morning offering “Special pieces that can be delivered IMMEDIATELY“ seems unusual for them.

As suggested it doesn’t really much matter except waiting a few weeks can be frustrating when you just “want it now”... The price of bespoke orders. Damn sight better than waiting for a preorder or Kickstarter though.
    RussMurray likes this.
    "Community... without consumerism"

Quote Originally Posted by SaoDavi View Post

It‘s not a lag. It is the time Stowa needs to have the watch assembled, checked and ready for shipping. Those who have visited Stowa (and moderator and Volker „brainless“ are frequent visitors) do know how it works at the Stowa premises.

Name:  FAF7606E-2DD2-48DB-8A66-B6BFB0F5F138.jpeg
Views: 106
Size:  2.48 MB
    [Outgoing]

Lagging is nothing Jörg Schauer does fancy.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; 2 Weeks Ago at 18:53.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I have no issues with the amount of time that elapses from the time I place my order and when I receive the timepiece. Good things come to those that wait. That was my experience with Weiss and expect it to be the same when my Stowa arrives towards the end of October. I might also add that Stowa's customer service has been exemplary given the glitch concerning the option of a hand-winding movement for a white dialed & red seconds hand Partitio remains, at least at the time of this writing. The fine folks at Stowa have been very responsive!

Quote Originally Posted by shintomagic View Post
    Does Jorg assemble the watches before they are ordered and they just sit there in the black forest waiting to be purchased or does an order have to come in before watch assembly begins? Just a curious Stowa Flieger owner wondering how his watch was made :)
    The answer certainly varies a bit regarding model/season/etc, but I would surmise that primarily:
    1) Mr. Schauer doesn't assemble; Stowa do.
    2) Watches are typically assembled following orders, i.e. a JIT (Just-In-Time) delivery model, for economic, tracking, staff, and storage reasons.
    3) Some models are surely assembled and unsold, therefore available immediately, but I would surmise Stowa try to keep this number as low as possible.
    4) Whether assembled pre- or post-purchase, assembly would be subject to the exact same quality control schedule and standards.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:43. Reason: Trolling again
    doggbiter and iggy-th like this.

Small correction: Jörg does assemble, not 24 hours a day as everybody can imagine, but he does assemble.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:45.
    iggy-th likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information