STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017 - Page 46
Like Tree863Likes

Thread: STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017

Page 46 of 90 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast

Re: STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017

Thanks for the photos! Is it their first time making type B Flieger with date?

Name:  250fb5be8b0cec1498ad43e3d115bb21.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  55.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rosenbloom View Post
    Thanks for the photos! Is it their first time making type B Flieger with date?

Name:  250fb5be8b0cec1498ad43e3d115bb21.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  55.8 KB
    right. And the only handicap of a date window in a baumuster b is; the big gap in a lumeshot, because of the lume pattern of the baumuster b!..

well the only thing i am confused about with these fliegers is that: this old rhadium colour of hands is not able to establish enough ''contrast'' with the heated blue colour of the frames, as much tthe ''white'' hands colour of the regular fliegers does.... :/ what do you think guys?...
    Last edited by ddestici; March 25th, 2017 at 02:27.

With regard to the above post, I think if you are using the quoted photo as reference for contrast you must consider the lighting. I think it's all good in your hand & not a concern.
    B.
    Last edited by B....; March 25th, 2017 at 04:01.
    Fikk likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ddestici View Post
    right. And the only handicap of a date window in a baumuster b is; the big gap in a lumeshot, because of the lume pattern of the baumuster b!..

well the only thing i am confused about with these fliegers is that: this old rhadium colour of hands is not able to establish enough ''contrast'' with the heated blue colour of the frames, as much tthe ''white'' hands colour of the regular fliegers does.... :/ what do you think guys?...
    I don't think either White or Old Radhium will give a clear color of Blue Steel in that position.
    The Blue Steel will shine Blue when it contacts to diagonal lights direction.

Yeah. Not concerned about the blued hands as they will contrast nicely. It's the colouration difference between the radium of the hands & dial. I had a look at the Tourby pilot that uses old radium and the dial & hands are the same. This is the dilemma of not trying before you buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by iggy-th View Post
    will shine Blue when it contacts to diagonal lights direction.
    I totally agree with that and actually i wasnt referencing that photo for it...

In anycase white is a lighter color than that yellowish old radium and lighter means will show a stronger contrast with that darker blue.. It is even same situation between the markers on the dial and the black dial itself...

But i am not trying to say also: it will not have the same contrast with the white has, so it won' t seem as beatiful as the white one... we have to wait for a photo with a diagonal light falling on the hands i guess.. :/

I will start by saying that I am the proud owner of three Stowa watches and I think they are beautiful. I am extremely happy with them all and I consider myself a strong supporter of Stowa.

However...

I have ordered a Limited Edition Flieger and like a number of other people who have taken the trouble to post here, I am concerned about the very obvious disparity in colour between the old radium lume on the dial and hands.

I do not think anyone believes there should, rightfully, be any such marked colour difference.

Stowa has explained the technical reason for the colour difference, and attempted to position the disparity as being a representation of accurate/realistic vintage appearance. I am disappointed in this statement, because I believe it is an attempt to justify something that was unplanned, that is incorrect, and something that should be rectified.

What is the basis of my opinion?

1. Below is the depiction of the limited edition watch from the Stowa website. The colour of the lume on the dial and hands is very clearly identical. Thus I think we can fairly state that Stowa intended producing hands and dials with the exact same tone of lume colour.

Name:  Flieger36_samplewatch_2600.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  298.4 KB

2. If one looks at photos of actual vintage 55mm Stowa Fliegers, none I have seen have colour disparities between the hands and dial. See the photo below. The video posted a few days ago on Stowa’s Instagram page (showing the Limited Editions alongside a real vintage 55mm Stowa Flieger) is also telling: to my eyes there is no discernible difference in the colour of the lume on the hands and dial on the real vintage 55mm Flieger.

Name:  KlQiasv.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  26.7 KB

As Fred0 says in his post above, the lume on the Tourby Pilot Vintage matches perfectly. Have a look at the anniversary Seamaster, Railmaster and Speedmaster models Omega has shown at Basal. Their old radium hands and dials match perfectly.

Perhaps most telling of all is my white Stowa Partitio. The colour of the old radium lume on the hands and dial also matches perfectly! Clearly it is possible to achieve a colour match.

I am disappointed that Stowa has not decided to rectify this matter. I would have thought it possible to use a lighter tone of old radium lume on the hands in order to better match the colour of the lume on the dial. Rightly or wrongly I have the feeling this has been put in the “too hard basket”, and that to me does not represent the quality or attention to detail I have come to expect from Stowa.

Hopefully we will see some better photos of the Limited Edition Fliegers over the course of the next few days and fingers-crossed these photos will ease the concerns I, and clearly a number of other people, have.

I don't believe we will see "better" photos. The photos and videos we've seen were pretty much consistent.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I know little about the technical stuff of lume application on hands and dial. Yet when I firstly ordered (but now have cancelled) a limited flieger, I didn't expect the color difference. Since it is the old radium lume that distinguishes the limited fliegers from the serial ones, I do think Stowa must make the color scheme "perfect". Unfortunately it seems to turn out that my understanding of "perfect" is not what Stowa are attempting. Although the color difference is said to be of a kind of vintage style, I am sorry to say that I can't see the point of paying a higher price for the color difference.

From the fact that some watch lovers opted out and the limited fliegers are not selling fast, Stowa should know very well now what some customers are thinking.

I still see Stowa a maker of beautiful watches. I am still looking forward to my Marine Blue Automatic Limited and my serial Flieger.

Cheers

Like another member mentioned I feel this was a mistake that Stowa isn't willing to make right. This is the second biggest disappointment since the new logo to me.
    Last edited by chickenlittle; March 25th, 2017 at 17:19.

Page 46 of 90 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast

Thread Information