STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017 - Page 49
Like Tree863Likes

Thread: STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017

Page 49 of 90 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast

Re: STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017

^ Please bombard us with tonnes of pictures once you get it!
    Vetinari67 likes this.

Haha .. will do my best, Commanche!
    commanche likes this.

Along with the B dial vintage Fliegers showing the colour difference in dial / hands , here's an A dial vintage Flieger with similar colouring. ( for your perusal. ) Last one - I promise.
    B.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 10.08.21 PM.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  85.8 KB
    JohnM and Dooberfloober like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

^ ... very interesting B.

I wonder what explains the dramatic color difference between dial and hands. Would you (or others) guess that this is due to a service change somewhere along the line, a difference in aging between dial and hands, or simply the original look and intent of the watch?
    Dooberfloober and B.... like this.

Well, the original lume color of these true vintage watches was white, wasn't it? So the different color variations due to layer depths of the luminous mass probably came over time as the patina developed.
    B.... likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    ^ ... very interesting B.

I wonder what explains the dramatic color difference between dial and hands. Would you (or others) guess that this is due to a service change somewhere along the line, a difference in aging between dial and hands, or simply the original look and intent of the watch?
    That's the real puzzle to me also.
    In my searching I've seen multiple shades of colouring on vintage Fliegers. Whether that is due to the aging (I doubt that) or perhaps the hands treatment was enhanced to ensure a brighter read in a dark cockpit. The 4 companies that had the contracts probably sourced the hands & dials from multiple suppliers due to enormous quantities needed in a short period of time. This could account for colour variation I suppose. I hope someone will enlighten us on this. Whatever the reason, I am delighted that we are getting that same relative vintage appearance with the 90th anniv. LE Fliegers.
    B.
    Edit: I'll be changing my avatar colouring soon.
    Last edited by B....; March 28th, 2017 at 06:11.
    JohnM likes this.

Hmm. I just realised the chrono tachymter is 43mm... hmm

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    Well, the original lume color of these true vintage watches was white, wasn't it? So the different color variations due to layer depths of the luminous mass probably came over time as the patina developed.
    Could it be that the dials markers were non luminous white paint & only the hands were painted with radium lume? If you were to consider the time element & quantities & expense involved at wartime, then this scenerio would at least be plausible.
    As we can see with the 90th anniv. LE Fliegers, the lume is more yellowish in colour (more in line with the hands colour on the vintage.)
    B.
    edit: I have also seen photos where the dial markers are yellowish lume, so there may be some kind of random selection or change in production involved with how the company's products were manufactured. Perhaps different branches of the Luftwaffe had different production requirements.
    Darkening of the colours of the paint with age is likely to a degree but would not account for the 2 different colours I believe.
    Last edited by B....; March 28th, 2017 at 18:13.

Apart from the (interesting) question of how very old vintage Fliegers got to look the way they do is the question of whether Jorg's original intent was to have the dial and hand colors match. As we know, it is an imperfect world and manufacturing processes can yield unpredictable results.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Apart from the (interesting) question of how very old vintage Fliegers got to look the way they do is the question of whether Jorg's original intent was to have the dial and hand colors match. As we know, it is an imperfect world and manufacturing processes can yield unpredictable results.
    It's also entirely conceivable that "an imperfect world" & "unpredictable results" stretched all the way back to WW2. IT DOESN'T MATTER!!! >>> We're getting a vintage signature NOW to honour the past - whether by design or not. . I can't speak for anyone else but I just got lucky. Be well people!
    B.

Page 49 of 90 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast

Thread Information