STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017 - Page 59
Like Tree863Likes

Thread: STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017

Page 59 of 90 FirstFirst ... 9 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 899
  1. #581
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    830

    Re: STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by flappylove View Post
    Some pictures for the doubters...






    I didn't know what to expect after the months of chatter, but lifting the lid was a very welcome surprise. Anyone still doubting the special edition should see it in the flesh before forming a firm opinion. It is beautiful, the colour has a warmth to it, with a real sepia richness. Makes the 'normal' lume look a bit stark and modern in comparison. And the long argued contrast between hands and numbers, well it just looks right. It could be the perfect flieger configuration, to me at least. For reference it is the handwinder and the special edition markings are beautifully subtle on the back. Funny comments about the box, its a box? It holds the watch.
    After months of doubt, Jorg has pulled the rabbit from the hat, a great job.
    Nice one! Since you have both, Could you tell us about how the lume compares against each other in terms of intensity and duration?

  2. #582
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    184

    Re: STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by flappylove View Post
    Some pictures for the doubters...

    I didn't know what to expect after the months of chatter, but lifting the lid was a very welcome surprise. Anyone still doubting the special edition should see it in the flesh before forming a firm opinion. It is beautiful, the colour has a warmth to it, with a real sepia richness. Makes the 'normal' lume look a bit stark and modern in comparison. And the long argued contrast between hands and numbers, well it just looks right. It could be the perfect flieger configuration, to me at least. For reference it is the handwinder and the special edition markings are beautifully subtle on the back. Funny comments about the box, its a box? It holds the watch.
    After months of doubt, Jorg has pulled the rabbit from the hat, a great job.
    Thanks for the pics, Flappylove and Exxondus, and congrats to you (and to JohnM) on your beautiful watches. I can't wait to receive my B-dial.

    I must admit I am a teensy bit disappointed in the boxes, if only because delivery was touted to be in "new and exclusive Black Forest wood cases", which kinda got my expectations up. I was expecting a beautiful polished solid wood box that I could pass on to my son with the watch when time came. Still, as you say, it's a box, and certainly not a deal-breaker.

  3. #583
    Member B....'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    307

    Re: STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Vetinari67 View Post
    Thanks for the pics, Flappylove and Exxondus, and congrats to you (and to JohnM) on your beautiful watches. I can't wait to receive my B-dial.

    I must admit I am a teensy bit disappointed in the boxes, if only because delivery was touted to be in "new and exclusive Black Forest wood cases", which kinda got my expectations up. I was expecting a beautiful polished solid wood box that I could pass on to my son with the watch when time came. Still, as you say, it's a box, and certainly not a deal-breaker.
    I think we all would have preferred an antiqued walnut display case with silver fittings.
    Truth be told, MDF (medium density fibreboard) is very strong and suitable for a stable shipping vehicle. It is easy to work when building the box & the solid wood reinforcing at the edges provides for good joint construction & adequate shock absorption protection against transport mishap. The felt composite for inside box protection is, Im sure, also a wise choice for the served purpose. AND...."Black Forest wood cases" has a certain charm to it, where "MDF shipping container" doesn't quite slip off the tongue the same way.
    B.
    omeglycine likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #584
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    184

    Re: STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by B.... View Post
    AND...."Black Forest wood cases" has a certain charm to it, where "MDF shipping container" doesn't quite slip off the tongue the same way.
    B.
    LOL! Truth.

  6. #585
    Member flappylove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Posts
    270

    Re: STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017

    I would agree with the comments about the mismatched hands if this was the only example of it, but as this thread alone has shown there are plenty of watches historically and from other manufacturers that offer different colours. Where is the horological guidebook that says hands and numerals should match? Some of the comments imply that a rule has been broken, but some very old models show the same disparity. Ultimately it isn't an argument about whether it is right or wrong but rather whether you like it or not. If you don't like it then you are lucky as you can buy a standard flieger at any time with the common lume. Personally being face to face with it, I love it, it has a far more vintage feel than the standard flieger, without going down that horrid 'pretend' antique finish that some brands offer.
    As for the box, I would hate a large polished piece of walnut, gratuitous nonsense, the new box is perfect for purpose (that is to protect the watch in transport) I don't wear the box so it is largely irrelevant to me. I only wish it was smaller because I have to store the thing.
    Commanche I will look at the lume tonight, I couldn't compare last night because the new one had been in a dark box for a week. I have also swapped the new watch to my old strap which looks fantastic, the old lume watch looks good with a well-worn strap
    commanche and TheOneInYellow like this.

  7. #586
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    northern California
    Posts
    750

    Re: STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017

    ^ I agree flappylove regarding the box, as well as the fact that no rules have been broken, it's just a question of whether you like the mismatched lume. I also agree that there are historical examples of watches with mismatched lume, though it's hard to know what they looked like originally. The reason I'm not sold on the mismatch, despite liking the watch very much overall, is that the colors are close but not quite the same. A perfect match works, as do colors that are complementary but different, but when colors are close but slightly different it's natural to wonder whether this was intentional or accidental. Would be great to hear from Jorg on this. Regardless, I like the LE and plan to keep it

  8. #587
    Member flappylove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Posts
    270

    Re: STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    ^ I agree flappylove regarding the box, as well as the fact that no rules have been broken, it's just a question of whether you like the mismatched lume. I also agree that there are historical examples of watches with mismatched lume, though it's hard to know what they looked like originally. The reason I'm not sold on the mismatch, despite liking the watch very much overall, is that the colors are close but not quite the same. A perfect match works, as do colors that are complementary but different, but when colors are close but slightly different it's natural to wonder whether this was intentional or accidental. Would be great to hear from Jorg on this. Regardless, I like the LE and plan to keep it
    I actually think the distinction between the two colours is quite strong, they are more different than I had expected them to be, for which I was glad, for similar reasons to your own, had they looked more like each other it would have indeed looked like a mistake. I find it quite curious that you consider the two colours very close to each other, I would say the numbers are distinctly yellow and the hands orange.
    Intentional or not, you are quite right, only Jorg really knows. But having spent a day with the watch now I am loving it, the warm vintage feel sits very well with a 'classic' watch style. The standard lume has begun to look so stark and modern in comparison
    TheOneInYellow likes this.

  9. #588
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    northern California
    Posts
    750

    Re: STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017

    ^ well, I am slightly colorblind flappylove, so you may have a point Glad you're enjoying your Flieger LE -- same here.

  10. #589
    Member flappylove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Posts
    270

    Re: STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    ^ well, I am slightly colorblind flappylove, so you may have a point Glad you're enjoying your Flieger LE -- same here.
    Ha ha, excellent. Enjoy!

  11. #590
    Member flappylove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Posts
    270

    Re: STOWA's 90th anniversary Limited Edition-2017

    Commanche, it is now dark enough to check the comparative lumes. There is very little difference, the standard lume is maybe slightly brighter, but not to any extent where you feel there is less clarity or readability. The lovely thing about the limited edition lume is that it is applied to each minute mark, whereas the standard lume is only on every 5th marker. ...really enjoying this watch

Page 59 of 90 FirstFirst ... 9 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Stowa Antea 80th Anniversary Limited Edition (80 pieces) w/Durowe 7420 Mechanical Movement.
      By Mouchette in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: November 19th, 2014, 19:15
    2. Replies: 0
      Last Post: June 19th, 2014, 17:40
    3. FS: Stowa Antea 80th Anniversary Limited Edition (80 pieces) w/Durowe 7420 Mechanical Movement
      By Mouchette in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: June 19th, 2014, 17:32
    4. SOLD Stowa Marine Original Limited Edition 80th Anniversary (MOLE I)
      By giosdad in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: September 30th, 2013, 23:40
    5. Replies: 60
      Last Post: November 25th, 2009, 15:10

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •