Stowa's Contemporary Fliegers
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Stowa's Contemporary Fliegers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stowa's Contemporary Fliegers

Hi All,

Well I'm eying up my next potential purchase and keep getting drawn back to the Stowa GMT (not sold on the Bezel, numbers look 'clunky') or TO1. I see very little of these watches posted on this forum and wonder why? Is it the size - 45mm is pretty big, and along with the the 54.5 L2L make these too large for most people's taste? Or that Sinn & Damasko etc do better offerings for 'modern' offerings?

Re: Stowa's Contemporary Fliegers

The size alone would prevent me from ever getting it. 46mm is a biggg watch. 42mm tends to be my max. I don't mind the looks, but I think there are more appealing options out there in that price range though.
    Current Line-Up:
    • Sinn 556 I B
    • Sinn EZM 3

Next On My List:

• Sinn 356 Flieger II or III
    • Vintage Sinn Chronograph using Lemania 5100
    • (Possibly) Tudor 1926 Rose gold two tone 36

I'm a big fan of Stowa (currently own 2, had 2 others come and go, and plan on buying more), and have no problem with large watches (one of my Stowa's is the 43mm Flieger Sport, and I currently own 2 other 43mm watches and am considering 2 different 44mm Sinn's sometime this year) -

But the Stowa GMT pushes it too far for me in almost every wrist shot I've seen. It's not so much the diameter (though that is too large for me personally), so much as the diameter combined with the side profile - sorta tuna-can/hockey puck - it's big in a very specific way.

The only other thing I'm not a fan of is any watch made of standard titanium. I know this is my own personal OCD and a lot of people like it for the color and light weight, but I can't stand how easily it scratches. Grade 5 like Omega uses, or better yet grade 5 + surface hardening like a Sinn EZM9 and I'm in love, but standard titanium is a no-go for me personally.

I really love the overall design of Stowa GMT - love that GMT hand and the color choices - and very briefly considered it, but in the end I bought a Sinn 857 UTC tegimented as my "gmt" watch instead - mostly owing to size/case material.

My favorite of the contemporary flingers from Stowa is the standard TO2 - 43mm, shares the great brushed steel case with the flinger sport, beautiful in it's simplicity, and you can still opt for a little pop of color with the different second hand choices. I'd love one of those and have considered selling my Flieger Sport to replace with a TO2 before.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

TO1 and GMT is titanium Grade 5
    Quote Originally Posted by krisrsolebury View Post
    I'm a big fan of Stowa (currently own 2, had 2 others come and go, and plan on buying more), and have no problem with large watches (one of my Stowa's is the 43mm Flieger Sport, and I currently own 2 other 43mm watches and am considering 2 different 44mm Sinn's sometime this year) -

But the Stowa GMT pushes it too far for me in almost every wrist shot I've seen. It's not so much the diameter (though that is too large for me personally), so much as the diameter combined with the side profile - sorta tuna-can/hockey puck - it's big in a very specific way.

The only other thing I'm not a fan of is any watch made of standard titanium. I know this is my own personal OCD and a lot of people like it for the color and light weight, but I can't stand how easily it scratches. Grade 5 like Omega uses, or better yet grade 5 + surface hardening like a Sinn EZM9 and I'm in love, but standard titanium is a no-go for me personally.

I really love the overall design of Stowa GMT - love that GMT hand and the color choices - and very briefly considered it, but in the end I bought a Sinn 857 UTC tegimented as my "gmt" watch instead - mostly owing to size/case material.

My favorite of the contemporary flingers from Stowa is the standard TO2 - 43mm, shares the great brushed steel case with the flinger sport, beautiful in it's simplicity, and you can still opt for a little pop of color with the different second hand choices. I'd love one of those and have considered selling my Flieger Sport to replace with a TO2 before.
    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    platinumEX likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HamSamich9 View Post
    The size alone would prevent me from ever getting it. 46mm is a biggg watch. 42mm tends to be my max. I don't mind the looks, but I think there are more appealing options out there in that price range though.
    TO1 and GMT even though 45mm, it's curved short lug make it smaller than it seems on wrist. It is legitimately nice to wear on 7 inch wrist.

I'm 7 inch wrist.

platinumEX likes this.

It's curved and short lug and legit on 7 inch wrist. But I wouldn't recomend if your wrist smaller than 7 inch

I owned both TO1 and GMT Lime.

TO1 have to be my favourite Stowa of all (among my 12 Stowa).
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    Hi All,

Well I'm eying up my next potential purchase and keep getting drawn back to the Stowa GMT (not sold on the Bezel, numbers look 'clunky') or TO1. I see very little of these watches posted on this forum and wonder why? Is it the size - 45mm is pretty big, and along with the the 54.5 L2L make these too large for most people's taste? Or that Sinn & Damasko etc do better offerings for 'modern' offerings?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Name:  AE76856C-E47D-4910-93EF-88E17C1A2091.jpeg
Views: 265
Size:  119.0 KB
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

That is such a beautiful watch, Mike.
    Make it simple, but significant...

Thanks for the interesting replies folks - It's interesting to see others views, as I suspected, it's the size. It's interesting to see your picture Mike, we have the same size (and shape, I think) wrists. I tried on a friends 46mm Navitimer and that looked OK on me. The depth of the Stowa TO1 is less then the chrono too, so I'm not concerned about that.

I'd love to be able to try one on but short of a long old drive I'm not sure how I'd manage it.

Me personally i love the contemporary style fliegers. I own the TO2 and it's one of my favorites! Big but not too big giving it a nice wrist presence.
    Gone but not forgotten :
    Hamilton Khaki King
    Squale 1521
    Longines Hydroconquest
    Damasko DA34
    Tudor Hydronaut
    Seiko 6309 7040
    Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 CV2011
    Seiko sbdc051 jdm
    Hamilton Khaki Aviation Pilot 46mm
    Stowa Flieger TO2
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay Red