Stowas running too fast, what is the best option?

Thread: Stowas running too fast, what is the best option?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stowas running too fast, what is the best option?

Got my Flieger COSC new from Stowa several months ago, and it has maintained +7-10 sec/day since then. It's not terrible, but paid the extra couple hundred bucks for accuracy (in addition to a decorated movement). Should I send it for Jorg to regulate (a hassle) or have a local watchmaker do it? It's a simple movement, but I'm afraid of someone scratching the caseback or something else.

Also, I have a used MO (from 4/07) that's running 12-13 sec/day. Is this considered acceptable for this movement, or is the Unitas generally considered much better? Should I get it regulated or serviced?
    Last edited by DaveInLA; April 18th, 2011 at 23:30.
    My Collection:
    Casio G-Shock GW-M5600-1CR
    Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay 5J21-0A10
    Seiko SKX031
    Seiko blue Atlas SKZ209
    Seiko Spirit GMT SBQJ015
    Seiko SKX781 Orange Monster
    Seiko SCVF001 titanium diver
    Seiko SBDX001 Marinemaster 300M
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM027
    Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic
    Rolex Explorer I 114270
    Rolex Submariner-date 16610
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Stowa Flieger Original 1
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa Marine 6425
    Tudor Pelagos 1
    Tudor Heritage Chrono

Re: Stowas running too fast, what is the best option?

Watches are usually regulated fast from the factory and will settle in after a couple of weeks. My seatime was about +8 when I first got it and settled to +1 after a month. I believe this is due to the movement wearing in and oil getting to the right places.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (ST 145.022)
    Omega Speedmaster Automatic (ST 176.0016) Cal. 1045 (Lemania 5100)
    Hamilton Field Mechanical
    Marathon SAR (2006)

Those specs are pretty good actually. The movement will eventually slow down over time, so I wouldn't bother.

But if it bugs you and you want to get it regulated, I'd do some research here at WUS and other places to locate a watch maker with a good reputation among WIS where you live (I'm sure there's lots of threads on this), and have them regulate it locally. Regulating a watch is not complicated, and the watches don't need to be fully serviced so a good local watch person can do it.

s.
    COLLECTION

CURRENT - Rolex 14060M | Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 Mitsukoshi Panda | Omega Speedmaster 3590.50 | Omega Seamaster 300 Cal. 552 | Seiko SBDX001 Marine Master 300 |Seiko 6309-7040 | Stowa Marine Original | Casio G-Shock GW6900-1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

there are also several threads around here on regulating the watch yourself...
    technically, isn't this really called 'compensating'?

But do I lose all warranty from Stowa if I go to my local watchmaker (which btw I think is extraordinary) only for a simple regulation
    Last edited by rrayden; April 18th, 2011 at 14:45.

I forgot to mention that the first watch I was discussing in my original post is a Flieger COSC, and it's about 3 months old and actually seems to be getting less accurate (+7 when new, now almost +10 sec). I think it's past the "settling in" phase; the watch needs to be regulated to meet COSC specs, I'm just trying to decide whether I should send it to Jorg or have it regulated by a local guy (less hassle, wait, risk of getting lost in customs, etc.). I figure if I spent the extra $200+ for a COSC movement, I might as well get COSC accuracy.

The MO is 4 years old. It's probably due for servicing some time soon, but I want to know if it's typical for the MO to be +12 sec/day, or if this is out of the ordinary. If Jorg's Unitas movements are usually much better than this and my watch is out of spec, I'll have it serviced now; if it's common to be +12 sec, then I'll wait a little while. Thanks in advance for your input.
    Last edited by DaveInLA; April 18th, 2011 at 23:30.
    My Collection:
    Casio G-Shock GW-M5600-1CR
    Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay 5J21-0A10
    Seiko SKX031
    Seiko blue Atlas SKZ209
    Seiko Spirit GMT SBQJ015
    Seiko SKX781 Orange Monster
    Seiko SCVF001 titanium diver
    Seiko SBDX001 Marinemaster 300M
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM027
    Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic
    Rolex Explorer I 114270
    Rolex Submariner-date 16610
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Stowa Flieger Original 1
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa Marine 6425
    Tudor Pelagos 1
    Tudor Heritage Chrono

Send in the Flieger (COSC should be better than what you're getting, IMO) and enjoy the MO in the meantime.
    Labitur occulte fallitque volatilis aetas, et nihil est annis velocius. Ovid Met. 10.519-20.

I think both your watches can be regulated to COSC, or to even higher accuracy eg. 0-3s

You are right Fotoman, they can be regulated to cosc accuracy but the concern is if he has it regulated is the warranty void and why should he have to regulate a watch that is relatively new which was bought with a cosc certification( at an added cost of 260.00 dollars)? I think one should expect better performance from a certified movement!! I have on order, a flieger with the cosc movement which I hope to receive in late May. I expect it to keep excellent time and will not settle for less. I do believe that things happen which are out of Stowa's control and I know that they will stand by their products,it's the shipping and being without the watch for such a long time that bothers.

Ren

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information