Strap Suggestions and other input for ordering a Stowa Antea Klassik

Thread: Strap Suggestions and other input for ordering a Stowa Antea Klassik

Strap Suggestions and other input for ordering a Stowa Antea Klassik

Hello I'm in the process of ordering an antea klassik. So far, I'm planning to order the 390 with the upgraded 2892-A2 movement. I'm designing the engraving for the rotor, and have realized that the 2892 movement does not come with the handmade Stowa rotor. I'm a bit disappointed by that because I love the look of the handmade rotor.
    Question: is it worth it to upgrade to the 2892 movement for the flatter profile? Or is the handmade rotor on the standard 2892 a feature that I shouldn't miss out on?

My my wrist is just shy of 7 inches, and is more flat than round.

Straps- I like the hand stitched Stowa leather strap in black. But I don't see a light brown option (like a whiskey/cognac/ orangish brown color). Any reccomendations for a high quality leather strap in that shade of brown?

I am am considering the milainaise strap, but worried that it will make the watch wear slightly larger; and given my wrist size, I'm concerned that it will make the 390 wear a bit too large.

Any my thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated. This is only my second mechanical watch purchase. I've attached a pic of my other watch below? I plan to wear the watch to work, with jacket and tie most days.

Thank you!

Re: Strap Suggestions and other input for ordering a Stowa Antea Klassik

Edit: handmade rotor comes on 2824 not 2892

Difficult question.

Imo, I'd go with the handmade rotor via the 2824-2 version.

It's a more consistently "stowa" design, and after 4-5 years when it comes to servicing time, I think it will be easier for you and for stowa to service the mainstay 2824-2 movement, compared to a short/limited run of a more expensive, more difficult to get piece.

Also I just really really really don't like how the ETA rotor looks.
    NTH Santa Cruz
    Casio Oceanus T200

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A 2892-A2 really shouldn't be much more difficult for Stowa to service.

It's a better movement, so I would probably opt for that over a different rotor.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

If they need to replace parts, then parts for 2824-2 will be more commonly available at their local workshop. If 2892-a2 needs some parts, and stowa doesn't have any other watches with that movement => no readily available parts on hand.
    NTH Santa Cruz
    Casio Oceanus T200

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    A 2892-A2 really shouldn't be much more difficult for Stowa to service.

It's a better movement, so I would probably opt for that over a different rotor.
    Why is that movement better? I’m not contesting your post, I just don’t know. Thanks

I am curious as well. I tried to research the movements on this site as well as elsewhere, but could not find any definitive information that proves the 2893 is a superior movement. Only encountered some sources that mention the 2892 is superior for its thinness and could potential be a bit more robust.

Can anyone weigh in with more substantial information re. the difference between the two movements?

Why does STOWA charge more for the 2892, when they actually provide a handmade silver rotor with the 2824?

I ended up ordering the 2892-A2 movement. STOWA was still able to offer some engraving on the ETA movement. I went for this movement, because it will make the watch a bit thinner. I am not too worried about servicing problems. I do however wish that the handmade rotor were available on the 2892.

Quote Originally Posted by Kpf2jv View Post
    I am curious as well. I tried to research the movements on this site as well as elsewhere, but could not find any definitive information that proves the 2893 is a superior movement. Only encountered some sources that mention the 2892 is superior for its thinness and could potential be a bit more robust.

Can anyone weigh in with more substantial information re. the difference between the two movements?

Why does STOWA charge more for the 2892, when they actually provide a handmade silver rotor with the 2824?

I ended up ordering the 2892-A2 movement. STOWA was still able to offer some engraving on the ETA movement. I went for this movement, because it will make the watch a bit thinner. I am not too worried about servicing problems. I do however wish that the handmade rotor were available on the 2892.

In the real world, it's near impossible to prove one is superior to the other in terms of either performance or durability.

However, there is an overall impression that the 2892-a2 is the better movement for a few reasons:

The 2824 comes in 4 grades - standard, elaborate, top, chronometer (chronometer identical to top other than being sent out for cost certification) - while the 2892-a2 only comes in the higher grades (no standard grade).

The 2892-a2 is 1mm thinner - generally seen as a good thing.

The 2892-a2 includes the "modifications" that IWC used to make to the 2892. After ETA stopped providing ebauches and only selling complete movements, they incorporated IWC's changes into their design - or so I've read, anyway. This means that today a top-grade 2892-a2 in your Stowa should be identical to the movement inside an IWC Mark XVIII, cosmetics like the rotor aside.

Whether any of those things add up to a noticeable performance difference? I doubt it - at least when comparing elabore to elabore, or top to top ...etc.

As for why Stowa charges more for the 2892-a2? Probably simply because it costs more than the 2824-2 when buying it from ETA.

ETA (owned by Swatch Group) does position it as the "better" movement in their lineup, and that's likely why you see it less often in entry level Swatch Group brands like Tissot, and more often in their mid-range brands like Longines.

Even the modified versions of these movements within Swatch Group tell you where they view the positions: Tissot/Hamilton/Certina etc will use the modified 2824-2 (Powermatic 80/H-10/etc) - while Longines will use a modified version of the 2892 beating at 25,200, and even the older Omega Co-Axial movements (2500) were basically a 2892 with the new escapement.

Anyway... while in the real world, in top grade, they're both great workhorse movements. Given the choice, I'd probably do what you did and go for the 2892-a2 for the small bump in price.

And don't worry about service problems - while the 2824-2 might be the MOST common, the 2892-a2 is super common too. You'll have zero problems getting it serviced, whether at Stowa or an independent watchmaker.

Enjoy the watch!

Thanks for such a comprehensive response. The info. on the STOWA website only advertised the relative "flatness" of the 2892-a2 as being key selling point. So thanks for all that additional info.!