Swan's neck regulator...Believe the Hype

Thread: Swan's neck regulator...Believe the Hype

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Swan's neck regulator...Believe the Hype

I received my Marine Original back on 09/30 and I wanted to report on the accuracy.....

Over the last seven days the watch is an incredible +2 seconds vs. the US Atomic Clock. That is just about Quartz accuracy:gold

I hope to take some pictures in the near future and write up a mini review

:thanks

Re: Swan's neck regulator...Believe the Hype

Very cool. With my Eberhard Traversetolo, I haven't figured out how to put pressure on the seconds hand to set it perfectly. So I set it within 30 seconds or so of the time and go from there.

That is great to read.
    ToddH

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bleddrewsoe
    I received my Marine Original back on 09/30 and I wanted to report on the accuracy.....

Over the last seven days the watch is an incredible +2 seconds vs. the US Atomic Clock. That is just about Quartz accuracy:gold

I hope to take some pictures in the near future and write up a mini review

:thanks
    That is great to hear!
    So does it actually "hack" or do you have to force it with back pressure?
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic
    That is great to hear!
    So does it actually "hack" or do you have to force it with back pressure?
    No it does not hack, nor did I mess with back pressure. I just let the watch wind down and started winding it up again in sync with time.gov to get it started

Quote Originally Posted by bleddrewsoe
    No it does not hack, nor did I mess with back pressure. I just let the watch wind down and started winding it up again in sync with time.gov to get it started
    Probably wise. I'm a bit leery of the back pressure thing myself.

No such luck here, love to gather more data point

The Swan neck regulator allows for more precise reate adjustment, but it does not affect the accuracy of the movement.

In my case, the watch was gaining an average of 24 sec/day when it first arrived. I have been keeping it running for the last three weeks and it is slowing down during the run-in. Currently, I am gaining +20sec/day.

So far I love the watch, the out of the box accuracy is the only disappointment.

So we have two data points here, which are very different, I would love to hear what other owners are experiencing with their MO.

I would also suggest keeping an eye on the accuracy as it runs in to see if you experience the same slow-down as I do.

After a two month run-in, I will probably have to take it to a watchmaker to get it regulated unless the trend on the slowdown continues.

Re: No such luck here, love to gather more data point

Personally, I didn't buy my Eberhard for the accuracy. I bought it to enjoy the handwinding movement. I really haven't checked to see how many seconds mine gains.
    ToddH

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rebreather
    The Swan neck regulator allows for more precise reate adjustment, but it does not affect the accuracy of the movement.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that considering the ability to more precisely adjust the rate does affect the accuracy of the watch. The other components of the movement of course play into how well the watch will keep pace over time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rebreather
    In my case, the watch was gaining an average of 24 sec/day when it first arrived. I have been keeping it running for the last three weeks and it is slowing down during the run-in. Currently, I am gaining +20sec/day.
    That is unfortunate, I have had better luck with Stowa as my Antea purchased more than a year ago is running about +4 secs a day with ever being regulated after purchase. I have seen other Stowa owners post of their accuracy in the past so perhaps your MO is an anomaly?

My Antea is a stellar timekeeper though I've not been wearing it enough lately to know how it's currently doing.
    My new Seatime was +12 per day.
    As I'm not a believer in the "break in" thing, it's currently in a local shop for better regulation.

More data gathered from my MO

What I mean is the swan-neck regulator, while allowing a watchmaker to more precisely control the rate, has little to do with the accuracy of the movement. For example, how consistent it performs in various positions, how well can it keep time as the main barrel winds down, how will temperature affect the accuracy, etc... All these are measurements that a swan-neck regulator cannot control.

I do hope my MO is an outlier when it comes to its accuracy, as the only watch I have that has such a large daily gain is a cheap Seiko diver watch. But it could also be you happen to get the best pick of the litter. To know that, we need to gather more data points from other MO owners. It is hard to judge from other watch models as the movements are different from the MO.

BTW, I experimented with different positions, with face up, it is currently gaining about 25sec/day, with crown down, it is about 16sec/day. The variance between positions, along with the high daily gain, is somewhat disappointing for a modern watch. I do hope other people have better luck with their MOs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information