tangente vs 390

Thread: tangente vs 390

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

tangente vs 390

Hi guys

was wondering if anyone could give me their thoughts on which watch has the better movement... the nomos tangente or the antea 390 (cosc)?

Is it true that nomos are only adjusted to 3 positions (or did I have too much brandy in my christmas pud this year?) and is this significant - given the build quality - when you consider the five position adjustment of a cosc?

Thanks in advance if you find the time to reply...

I appreciate that most people in here will be pro stowa - as I myself am...

Merry Christmas one and all

pepper

Re: tangente vs 390

The movements in these watches are apples and oranges in many ways.

You should be comparing the Tangente to the Antea KS. Or, you could compare the Tangomat to the automatic Anteas such as the 390.

Here's my take: The Antea KS is one of the worlds most perfect watches. The movement is gorgeous! The Tangente is essentially a copy of both the watch and the movement. Sure, it's an in-house version of the movement, which gives it snob-appeal, and some will say it's a better watch for various reasons, mostly because of the in-house movement and some fine details. But of course you will pay much more.

The movement in the 390 will be very reliable, and it will be more attractive in the COSC form. But I'd have to say that the appeal of the in-house movement in the Tangomat is much greater here. This was their first full in-house design and as such it deserves more respect. It's also superior in aesthetics.

So, manual wind? Go Antea KS.

Auto? If you have the big bucks for a Tangomat, go for it!

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by grepmat View Post
    The movements in these watches are apples and oranges in many ways.
    You should be comparing the Tangente to the Antea KS. Or, you could compare the Tangomat to the automatic Anteas such as the 390.
    Right. It would be unfair to compare a hw movement which is close to be made inhouse with a common ETA 2824-2.

Here's my take: The Antea KS is one of the worlds most perfect watches. The movement is gorgeous! The Tangente is essentially a copy of both the watch and the movement.
    You are completely wrong. No watch is a copy of the other, however the Tangente with Peseux 7001 was first and the Antea KS was launched later.[/quote]

Sure, it's an in-house version of the movement, which gives it snob-appeal, and some will say it's a better watch for various reasons, mostly because of the in-house movement and some fine details. But of course you will pay much more.
    You hit the nail, I too rate the Tangente movement above the serial ETA 2824-2 which powers the Antea 390, even it comes in COSC grade.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

Welcome to Watchuseek and welcome to the Official Jörg Schauer & Stowa Forum as well.

You are not the first to ask, I'd like to invite all newbies to make use of our search function ´which would have lead to a similar question: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=215857

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    You are completely wrong. No watch is a copy of the other, however the Tangente with Peseux 7001 was first and the Antea KS was launched later.

Mike, I believe that Stowa's Antea watch - their original one (I assume it was called something else?) - came many decades before Nomos ever existed.

Also, I was referring to the way Nomos calls their version of the 7001 their own movement. Clearly it is a derivative of the 7001, hence loosely a copy.

Finally, perhaps "copy" is too strong if taken literally, but... just look at the two!

P.S., Even when I'm wrong, I'm never "completely wrong."
    Last edited by grepmat; December 26th, 2008 at 01:27.

Thanks for your input guys, made for very interesting reading...

Have to discount the Antea KS on the grounds that it's too small for my wrist - and I prefer a central second hand. But the tangomat is certainly food for thought.

Always had my heart set on a cosc movement - just the pleasure of knowing I'm wearing a "true" chronometer, but now I'm begining to see the benefits (albeit vague and romantic benefits) of having something in-house. My personal attraction to mechanical watches (like many peoples I would imagine) is down to the the way in which they stand against the souless - mass produced - plastic and circuitry - of the consumer market... so I suppose, moving away from ETA "workhorses" is an even greater step in that direction? Choices, choices...

Sorry for not, finding the earlier and similar thread... will use the search function in future.

pepper

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by grepmat View Post
    Mike, I believe that Stowa's Antea watch - their original one (I assume it was called something else?) - came many decades before Nomos ever existed.
    Well, the "predecessor" of the Stowa Antea KS indeed was a Stowa and came out many decades (1938) before NOMOS came into existence.

However the Nomos Tangente goes back to the pattern of a Lange Glashütte/SA (see attached pic).

Also, I was referring to the way Nomos calls their version of the 7001 their own movement. Clearly it is a derivative of the 7001, hence loosely a copy.
    You call it a copy, I'd say with its 3/4 plate and Glashütte Gesperr it is inhouse.

P.S., Even when I'm wrong, I'm never "completely wrong."
    No comment on that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have just been over to the nomos website and realised that they're all "ks" or, 6 o clock second hands or whatever the technical term is - which rules them out in my book! They are gourgeous of course but I'll have to go with the Stowa, for the clean lines...

My first love was a Junghan's max bill (aesthetically), but I couldn't bare to part with a reasonable wad of cash for a mineral crystal and unspecified water-resistance...

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    Have just been over to the nomos website and realised that they're all "ks" or, 6 o clock second hands or whatever the technical term is...
    Well, we use to say "small second", "sub second", "small second at 6".

Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    Have just been over to the nomos website and realised that they're all "ks" or, 6 o clock second hands or whatever the technical term is - which rules them out in my book! They are gourgeous of course but I'll have to go with the Stowa, for the clean lines...

My first love was a Junghan's max bill (aesthetically), but I couldn't bare to part with a reasonable wad of cash for a mineral crystal and unspecified water-resistance...
    Why don't you try to get something like this?
    She is handwind plus central second:

....and clean lines, aren't they?

Look at the details:

Such watches you can get for less than hundred Euros,

Volker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information