Technique to install the butterfly buckle???

Thread: Technique to install the butterfly buckle???

Question Technique to install the butterfly buckle???

I just received my Flieger today and very happy about the look and quality of the watch. Apart from the ordinary buckle, I have added one butterfly buckle.

However I found it very difficult to install it onto the strap without scratching the leather....(the little metal tube for screw is very sharp). Any special technique of installation? or the buckle could be disassembled for easier installation?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by fshek; August 3rd, 2009 at 15:45.

Re: Technique to install the butterfly buckle???

I feel your pain. The deployant buckle that Stowa uses, while really beautiful, doesn't allow for thick straps. What I do I try and compress the band as it's being pushed through the buckle. The bigger problem is when you try and remove it, then the gouging often happens. I try and go with thin straps for my Stowas because of this. Good luck.

I have had the same problem with thick straps. I looked, but never figured out a way to disassemble the clasp beyond removing the screw that attaches it to the strap. This is not the only issue with using thicker straps with the deployant clasp. I posted about it here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showpos...3&postcount=13 In fact, if you look closely at the first picture in my post, you will note the lengthwise scrape made by the deployant during installation.

The Stowa deployant is very well-made and attractive, but in my opinion it is ideally suited for thinner straps.
    // Rob

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh...sorry, one more question on top of the buckle now...

As I really can't fit the buckle onto the original strap without scratching the leather, I am going to buy another thinner after-market strap for the buckle. Unfortunately I am unable to find the little holes on the lug for dis-assembly of the metal strap pins.... I am not an experienced watch owner and I'm always worried about scratching by the tool >.<

Again any technique or special tool to dis-assemble Airman's strap with less risk of scratching the case and lug. :oops:

There are no recesses in the Airman lugs. They are not drilled all the way through; they are only accessible from the area between the lugs.

You need a Bergeon 6767F springbar tool. Google it; they are widely available on the internet. If you don't have the right tool, or if you don't trust yourself to do it without scratching your Stowa, any competent jeweler should be able to do it for you. It's very simple, however. I always change my own straps.
    // Rob

Thumbs Up Re: Technique to install the butterfly buckle???

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. This is exactly the information I need.

I've never imaged there is forked springbar removal tool available. I think I could find it easily locally here.

Quote Originally Posted by rfjacques View Post
    There are no recesses in the Airman lugs. They are not drilled all the way through; they are only accessible from the area between the lugs.

You need a Bergeon 6767F springbar tool. Google it; they are widely available on the internet. If you don't have the right tool, or if you don't trust yourself to do it without scratching your Stowa, any competent jeweler should be able to do it for you. It's very simple, however. I always change my own straps.

No problem; glad to help.
    // Rob

Thread Information