Are there fake Stowa's out there?

Thread: Are there fake Stowa's out there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are there fake Stowa's out there?

Hello,

I am looking at an Antea that I found that is a year or so old. It comes with box and papers, but the guy wants a wire transfer only.

I am leery as my understanding is that wire transfers offer no protection to the buyer.

So are there fakes out there that would come with a fake box and fake papers?

Thanks in advance,

John
    John

Ball - Engineer II Ohio Moonphase
    Stowa - Marine Automatic
    Squale - 30 ATMOS 1545 GMT Ceramica
    Squale - 20 ATMOS 1545 Heritage
    Steinhart - Ocean 1 Green
    Hamilton - Khaki Field Automatic

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Are there fake Stowa's out there?

Haven't seen one, have not heard about one. Wire transfer could be problematic. If any doubt - stay away.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Why would he insist on wire transfer only ? It's not the prospect of a fake I'd worry about it the prospect of getting a box with a rock in it or nothing. Run don't walk away.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

"Why would he insist on wire transfer only ? It's not the prospect of a fake I'd worry about it the prospect of getting a box with a rock in it or nothing. Run don't walk away. "

Plus 1.

Where does the seller live and how did you connect with him? If you are intent on doing the deal at least have a phone conversation, get as much info as you can but I think I'd likely just walk away. The likelihood of a counterfeit watch is not the big worry here. Stowa is a small company mostly unheard of outside the watch forums. Not really the type of watch that is usually counterfeit.

Then again, not everyone has Paypal and there really are honest people who use wire transfer only.
    I know, because I dealt like that in the past. I too prefer paypal but again wire only does not automatically make the seller a crook.

Never heard of faked Stowas and I wouldn't worry about the 'papers' since there hardly aren't any, unless it has a COSC movement.

Regards,

CT

I take the poit flu grass...but in this day and age it is very difficult to come with legitimate reasons to insist on wire transfer only. As I see it there is always a chance the seller is honest but there is also a great risk is that they are not.

With that said, I would consider a wire transfer to a person i dont a'know' if the sum involved is very small and I want the watch very much, or if the seller has many excellent references for sales of similar watches.

I know a seller can say that they don't know if a buyer is honest an a wire transfer gives Them full protection but to be frank the seller wants to sell and is nearly always going to have to accept a little risk to get a sale.

When I read sell ads in the sell forum that insist on wire transfer I rarely bother to read the rest of the ad as there is just now way I'm giving a total stranger upwards of a couple of hundred euros with no comeback.

You could always ask if he would do it through am escrow service

Quote Originally Posted by Coler View Post
    ...but in this day and age it is very difficult to come with legitimate reasons to insist on wire transfer only.
    Oh, thats easy:

- it's cheaper than PayPal or similar services
    - it's more secure for the seller, because the buyer can not create problems

Quote Originally Posted by Coler View Post
    I know a seller can say that they don't know if a buyer is honest an a wire transfer gives Them full protection but to be frank the seller wants to sell and is nearly always going to have to accept a little risk to get a sale.
    Depends on the point of view - when I am the seller, I define the rules. If you don't like it, buy somewhere else. Especially with a watch, which is easy to sell (and an Antea is one of those watches) I would never accept other payments. Hey, is it my fault, that the buyer might not be able to come over and pick the watch up personally? Like every story, also this one has two sides. ;)

hart-metall is a guy you can safely buy from using wire transfer...

Ask me how I know

Regards,

CT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information