Thoughts and Impressions of My New Partitio
Like Tree15Likes
  • 12 Post By P. Ortiz
  • 2 Post By MHe225
  • 1 Post By P. Ortiz

Thread: Thoughts and Impressions of My New Partitio

Thoughts and Impressions of My New Partitio

First of all, let me say that this is more a collection of thoughts about my new Stowa Partitio than a formal review, which I don't feel entirely qualified to do. I've only had this watch for a couple of days. It arrived at my door in an impressive twelve days. That quick start-to-finish arrival time is made even more remarkable considering I placed my order late on a Friday afternoon here in the States, and well after Stowa had already closed shop for the weekend. Also; it was held-up in transit (while still in Germany) for about a day or two. If we'd not lost those extra three or four days, the arrival time might have been an astounding eight days...again; impressive.

Name:  20180331_082656.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  2.47 MB

Although I am nearing Social Security eligibility, I still remember playtime in kindergarten. While the other kids were grabbing the biggest or latest toys, I was securing my five rectangular wooden blocks and plastic Army Jeep. With those, I was able to build a garage and have transportation with which to create my-own mind's world. Choosing this watch was a journey back to that part of myself. This watch purchase had come down to either a Tudor Black Bay 36, or ...maaaybe... a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36 no-date. However, once I laid eyes on this simple Partitio, it was all over. I had found my jeep and blocks once again. This watch is simple, functional and can be worn with anything from shorts and a t-shirt, right up to a sport coat and tie. You might even be able to wear it with a full suit if you ditch the necktie.

Name:  20180331_080215.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  2.24 MB

First Impression: Upon opening the case and seeing it for the first time, I have to admit; it looked to me like a boy's watch. I was wearing my Omega Speedmaster FOIS at the time and the dial of the Partitio seemed stark by comparison. However; when I put it on, my initial thought was of extreme comfort. It's big enough to look substantial when compared to actual vintage watches, yet light enough to wear very comfortably. With its minimal bezel, the dial on the Partitio uses most of the available real estate, making it comparable in dial size to many larger watches. I wouldn't call this watch small as much as I would, compact.

Dial: To my eye, it's near perfection. Time is quick and easy to acquire, there are no distractions, and the hands are right-sized and legible in every way. Ironically, the one thing I can do without are the divisions/partitions for the seconds. But then, it wouldn't be a Partitio, would it? They're (understandably) so small, my aging eyes can't really use them. Where they might come in handy is for sub-dividing the minute sweep into 12-second intervals, but that's it. Incidentally; though some have complained of no tail on the second hand...no problem here. In fact, I think the decision served to give the Partitio an even cleaner look.

Name:  20180331_081139.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  2.65 MB

Case: The case on this watch is perfectly sized (for my taste) in that it stops just short of looking too small, while still showing enough size to give it some prominence. I like that I'm less aware of its size when wearing it, and that I feel more freedom from the fear of bumping into things with it. Some have mentioned that the lugs are too long, but I find them well-proportioned. I really like the way they curve down and follow the wrist closely. The finishing on the case (and everywhere) is flawless and for such a simple design, it has a subtle presence. This isn't a watch that will likely get you comments from strangers though. It's quite reserved in design and its size doesn't call attention either. This one's for only you to enjoy. Mine is the hand-winding model which I ordered with the solid case back. The cover is nicely engraved as you'll see in the photos. It's also mirror-polished. So much so that I stopped taking a picture in-order to clean-off what I thought was a piece of debris. However, it wasn't debris, but rather, the printing on my cell phone being reflected off the back of the watch. Really; it's that highly polished! Where you see dull areas in the phone's print, it's intersecting the engraving.

Name:  20180331_075913.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  2.52 MBName:  20180331_075931.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  2.91 MB

Strap: I found the standard black strap that came with the watch more than adequate. It's soft and has a nice grain and texture. I immediately switched it to the Rios Mocha Shell Cordovan strap you see in the photos though. This only because I like to save the original strap in as-new condition. I also have a black 2-piece Perlon strap that I will be using during the soupy weather here in Florida.

Movement: While I am not knowledgeable enough to give an educated assessment of the movement, I will say this: the experience of winding it is perhaps my only minor disappointment. I have and have had a number of hand-wind watches. Among them are a Stowa Marine Original, the aforementioned Omega Speedmaster FOIS, a late '70's Hamilton Masterpiece with the Buren 639 movement, and a recently sold 1967 Longines with the 284 movement. The movement on this Partitio is not as satisfying in the mechanical sense, as any of these. There is a muted sensory connection with the gears. If I had to describe it, I would say that it feels somewhere between winding a hand-wind watch and winding an automatic, though leaning more toward the hand-winder. Perhaps this is due to the fact that this movement is an adapted time/date movement? I don't know. It's not a deal breaker, but I wish it had more feel when winding it.

Name:  20180331_080358.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  2.75 MB

In closing, I'd like to say that I am becoming smitten with this watch. I think that Stowa absolutely nailed the size and proportions. And as always, the finish quality is right up there with much pricier options, making this watch a great value. What might I change? Aside from the winding feel; maybe...only maybe, it would be nice to have a small dot at each hour marker. It's the only area where it's difficult to see the exact position of the seconds and minute hands. But, I say "maybe" because this dial is so simple and pure, I'd have to think long and hard before changing a thing. Would I do it again? Absolutely Yes.
    Last edited by P. Ortiz; April 6th, 2018 at 15:12. Reason: refinement
    MHe225, Fikk, mpalmer and 9 others like this.

Re: Thoughts and Impressions of My New Partitio

That's a very nice write-up, P.Ortiz. I can relate to the images from your childhood and I enjoy reading about a new watch purchase that is not the most expensive and latest introduced model or way beyond our reach. This is most helpful to those looking for their perfect / ideal watch within our means.

Not to take away from your write-up and I realize this is the Stowa forum, but we had a similar experience when we got the MKII Hawkinge nearly 2 years ago. The Hawkinge has modest specs, size and price and it all just works well together. The Hawkinge might be a wee bit less versatile than the Partitio as it feels slightly less dressier to me.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_12d7.jpeg
Views: 402
Size:  888.5 KB

Congratulations on your latest acquisition and enjoy for many years to come.
    Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
    MrDagon007 and P. Ortiz like this.

Thanks for the kind words, MHe225. I like your Hawkinge MK II. Since I'd never heard of it, I did some research. It pushes all the right buttons for me. Very nice piece. Take care.
    Last edited by P. Ortiz; April 1st, 2018 at 03:36.
    MHe225 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That’s a classic no nonsense choice and the solid caseback choice doubles down on this look. Congrats and enjoy!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Congrats and wear in good health. A Stowa has long been on my list of must-haves. Color me green with envy!
    Clyde

A classic, great-looking watch that you won't see on every wrist. Great choice!

Congratulations on your purchase, and thanks for a nice write up.

Wonderful, thanks for sharing. This watch is somewhat of a “grail” for me, so I am interested in long form opinions. Especially from a fellow Floridian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a great looking watch and your write-up is
    very well done.

I'm the same age and trace my affinity for hand wound
    watches back to my first watches.

All the best!

John

That's a great looking watch and your write-up is
    very well done.

I'm the same age and trace my affinity for hand wound