Trying to confirm the authenticity of my vintage 1940's Stowa (and theres a twist!)

Thread: Trying to confirm the authenticity of my vintage 1940's Stowa (and theres a twist!)

Trying to confirm the authenticity of my vintage 1940's Stowa (and theres a twist!)

Hi All,

I need some opinions from some Stowa experts here on the forum.

I was on Ebay, searching for a Unitas 173 movement to purchase to replace a movement on an existing 40's Stowa I already had. So I was on Ebay and I found another old Stowa watch. I looked at the photo of the movement, looked great and snapped it up for an alright price.

After I received my watch, to my shock it had hand engraved markings that meant the watch was potentially owned by a member of SS back during WW2. I had only looked at movement shots on the Ebay listing as I was only looking at the watches for the sole purpose of taking parts to replace my other watch.

I have become quite drawn to this watch as the dial and movement is in great shape, however I wanted to see if anyone had an expert opinion on this.

I have received feedback from a collector who collects these kinds of watches and was told that they were leaning towards it being real as the engraving is roughly done. Apparently there are many vintage watches that get an expert engraving job done with the hopes of bumping up their price.

I then was told from an engraver that it was potentially created via a chasing hammer.

Next I spoke to the seller who told me this -
    "The watch came from an old Bulgarian family, it was gifted from a German officer to a Bulgarian businessman during WWII for helping the Germans and was kept hidden for many years as any political belief other than communism was strictly forbidden in the country till 1989." I also have the name of the Bulgarian family.

Finally the seller never made any mention on Ebay about this watch having what it had, and the iconography was actually blacked out due to Ebay's rules. As a result they weren't selling it as a SS owned watch.

Thanks all, would just be interesting having some opinions from people on the forum who may have a good knowledge of Stowa and the history of these watches..
    Justin

Re: Trying to confirm the authenticity of my vintage 1940's Stowa (and theres a twist!)

I sent a PM,

Volker

Re: Trying to confirm the authenticity of my vintage 1940's Stowa (and theres a twist!)

Pretty amazing looking watch either way.....
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thread Information