Unitas 174 Movement Question.
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Unitas 174 Movement Question.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unitas 174 Movement Question.

Hey everyone,

I am on the process of buying a vintage Stowa watch that works with a Unitas 174 movement. I've been looking for additional information about this movement but it is impossible to find anything. What is the power reserve of this movement and how accurate it is?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Unitas 174 Movement Question.

Moved from Watch Reviews to Jörg Schauer & STOWA watches official forum. You'll likely get more replies here.
    AFG08 likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlejandroGMT View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am on the process of buying a vintage Stowa watch that works with a Unitas 174 movement. I've been looking for additional information about this movement but it is impossible to find anything. What is the power reserve of this movement and how accurate it is?

Thanks in advance!
    How accurate ? Ask the seller, he should know how the watch performs right now.
    Power reserve: Since this is a vintage piece (1940 or earlier) with unknown service history I‘d guess 30-32 hours. The Unitas beats at 18,000 b/h, 13ˋˋˋlines, height 4,1mm according to Engelkemper.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; 1 Week Ago at 20:10.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AlejandroGMT View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am on the process of buying a vintage Stowa watch that works with a Unitas 174 movement.!

Hello AlejandroGMT,

this movement actually was used by STOWA in their wrist watches in the Thirties / Forties of the last century as they were importing these brand's line into Germany as a general agent.
    But they also provided other watchmaking companies in Germany with Unitas 174 movements.
    Be careful when preparing to purchase such a watch - it can be a genuine one or a distorted one. Because of their former ANTEA model Stowa is better known than many other watchmaker's brands of that period and so the prices are higher for a watch marked STOWA than for one made by brand X or brand Y.
    Currently I found a watch with a Unitas 174, offered for $ 559,- that seems to be suspicious, at least for my opinion.
    The brand STOWA in the dial is underlined. That line served as a distinction for watches made in Pforzheim ( underlined ) and Rheinfelden ( sheer 'STOWA' ) in the late Fifties, AFAIK.
    I don't say it is not genuine - I just suggest to check the timepiece, you want to buy, carefully,

Volker
    Last edited by brainless; 2 Weeks Ago at 16:00.
    Fikk likes this.

cheers Mike!

Thanks for the advise brainless, I, however, do not really understand why you thought the price of 559 US dollars is suspicious.

He said the watch he saw for this price seems suspicious.
    The dial seems from a later period than the movement and then he advises you to be careful.

Brainless has most probably the biggest collection of vintage Stowa so I would consider his advise seriously.

Yes,

Fikk is absolutely right.
    I forgot to type a comma:
    Currently I found a watch with a Unitas 174, offered for $ 559,-, that seems to be suspicious......
    If the watch would not be genuine, the price wouldn't be suspicious but rather steep,

Volker

Yes, that was what I meant, but anyway thank you for the advice. I do think there might be a high chance for us to be talking about the same watch. I'm trying my best to research and find as much as possible about Stowas from this era and about the model in question... but without a reference, it is very complicated. Would you have any recommendations for books/sites that could help me? I would appreciate a little bit of help since I'm just getting into vintage watches.

I have to say the watch in question is beautiful, the crown and plexiglass have been replaced in the past but at the moment that doesn't stop me from considering it. However, I would like the dial to be genuine and correspond to the movement's era.

PS: I managed to lower the price by around 20%, for someone who at the moment is not that "picky" about vintage watches (since I'm just starting and my knowledge is basic) and is looking for a good looking vintage, would you consider this deal to be a complete "no - no"??

Thanks in advance,

Alejandro

Two reasons to be very careful:

1. reason:
    Without the possibility to check the watch in the flesh, I wouldn't buy a watch that is -at least- dubious.

2. reason:
    I (as a seller) never reduced an original price to 80% by a mail only...........

Volker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information